Officially Announced Area 2010 Test pieces.

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by AndyCat, Sep 24, 2009.

1. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

Thanks to Darrol Barry/ Bandsman:

Championship Section: English Heritage
    (George Lloyd) – published by R. Smith & Co.

1st Section: Moorside Suite (Gustav Holst) -
    published by R. Smith & Co.

2nd Section: Kingdom of Dragons (Philip
    Harper) – published by Harper Music

3rd Section: Labour and Love (Percy Fletcher) –
    published by R. Smith & Co.

4th Section: Saint-Saëns Variations (Philip
    Sparke) – published by Anglo Music Press.
  2. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

So, any new Percussion for Moorside Suite? Or is it a hassle free Area, with no one needing to sign extra percussionists as we had to for Pentacle?
  3. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

Anybody know where I can "Harper Music"?
  4. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

This is a fantastic piece of music and an inspired choice for the second section! My daughter was lucky enough to play it with Greater Gwent Youth Brass Band under Phil Harper and record it for their new CD which comes out this autumn. May need to find aband in the second section for 2010!

Sorry - don't know where you can buy the music though
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  5. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

What joy.
  6. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

Sorry that should have said: Anybody know where I can find "Harper Music"?
  7. euph1991

euph1991 Member

Some very good choices (at last!), especially labour and love for the 3rd. Will be a good test for them
  8. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

Well happy with that :D
  9. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

yep cant wait!
  10. Robin Norman

Robin Norman Member

Oh what joy, three months on Moorside Suite !!!;)

I love the piece but honestly can't see the stern test for First Section bands but hey ho, at least it's got a 'toon' and the middle movement will take some doing to do well.

Might have to get the Tuba out again though for English Heritage - one of the great testpieces with a cracking solo I've always wanted to play.
  11. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

I have a feeling I'm not going to enjoy this.

AEHOWGATE Member

I am sure the judges will find winners quite easily on Moorside Suite.!
  13. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Clear winners won't be an issue, placings from 4 down I reckon will be a bit of a lottery though :(

On the plus side it's a lovely piece, my band wont have to buy it ( unless they've mucked about with it ) and no extra percussion :)
  14. Cornet_Matt

Cornet_Matt Member

what an introduction to the Championship Section :D
    so i take it the school's server is still working then if you've had time to find this out Andy :p
  15. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

To paraphrase Chris Tarrant on "Millionaire", "It's only difficult if you can't play it ... "

Anyway, is it really "official"? As of five minutes ago there was nothing on the Kapitol website, nothing on the BB site, nothing on the BBW site, and 4BR had just put their updated news items up, and nothing there either.
  16. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Depends! Still need three players to play the original parts properly, even though they won't be very busy ...
  17. At last a decent choice for the 1st section in Moorside Suite
  18. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

It's in the Bandsman.
  19. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

I know what you mean, might have to get the cobwebs off the Arban - anyone in the top section need a back row cornet player for March? :biggrin:

Moorside's a beautiful piece of music, but some sections - perc, back row, horns, basses - are in for a dull old time in rehearsals. It'll test a band's "old fashioned values" - tone, intonation, musicality, etc. - but I can't imagine any 1st section bands really struggling with it.

Labour and Love for the 3rd section I'm not so sure about, although I might just be prejudiced against it because I think it's such an awful piece! I can imagine it getting overblown just a bit...

Definitely looking forward to hearing the new Sparke and Harper pieces - anyone got any clue as to which Saint-Saens the variations are on?

AEHOWGATE Member

Please God No! I hope they don't decide to draw a beard on a brass band Mona Lisa!