Official tMP Yorkshire Regional 2008 thread

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Di, Feb 17, 2008.

1. ballyhorn

ballyhorn Member

Wow....I thought it was bad in the Northwest area!!!!...I happened to help Dobx out along with a couple of other decent players and all hell broke loose there....

2. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

Welsh thread has a fair bit of drama in there too.

can't wait for next year!

3. JohnnyEuph

JohnnyEuph Member

I think some of you lot are in grave danger of taking yourselves far too seriously!

4. SuperCat

SuperCat Member

Last edited: Mar 17, 2008
  5. hannahone

hannahone New Member

PM guys.....PM....please!!! This back biting and public shouting match is doing noone any good and certainly cant be helping any bands recover and rebuild!!!

6. Blossom

Blossom Member

Well said, well said - couldn't agree more:clap: :clap:

What started out as the official thread for the best region in the country has degenerated into a public slanging match - let's get back on track, please.

Thanks to all the bands that played at Yorkshire, it was a grand weekend and thanks to the Yorkshire organisers for all their hard work. :clap:

7. Cally

Cally New Member

i didnt think they were backbiting. i have read throuh most of this thred and i thoght it is quite interesting to read. I dont understand a lot of it but its interesting

8. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

Well said hannahone. This doesnt do the reputation of banding any good. We have a very good rep, pity to spoil it with backbiting. Whats done is done, time to move on.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2008
  9. Bobobear

Bobobear New Member

Originally Posted by hannahone [​IMG]
    Yes, its not like this is a public forum which invites peoples opinions is it? :rolleyes:

I agree, lets all be nicey nice and agree with each other, then the lying and backstabbing people (behind their backs of course) can continue! Isn't that nice!

10. yorkyboy

yorkyboy Member

Well said. If people cant express there right to freedom of speech within this forum then it might as well be shut down. Clearly some have strong opinions on this matter so let them express it.
    In my opinion its time this practice which goes on, within the rules at the moment, is dealt with by the governing authorities - although im not sure if they have got enough backbone to deal with it!

11. barrytone

barrytone Member

Public Forum

This thread is about the Yorkshire Regional Contest this year and the bands that took part, or so I believe from the title. If people have genuine comments to make about this subject, then this is the place to post them. It has wandered slightly off track but that's the way it's been steered by parties who feel they have something to say. Maybe the comments made don't directly relate to the contest, but they do relate to the bands involved.

I applaud the people bold and open enough to post the facts as they know them on here, instead of hiding behind innuendo and suggestion. I always prefer someone who is not afraid to say what they think, regardless of what others think of them. I am also glad that several posts have highlighted the fact that in certain cases the band that competes at a contest is not always the band that remains post competition. This brings the question of players shortages and how bands deal with that problem into the discussion, as it's a major issue that faces most bands, that's not a bad thing surely.

I can't see how raking over events of previous years helps though, it's the current situation where the discussion lies and not what happened in 2006 or whenever. If this thread does nothing else, it highlights the problems that most bands face in recruiting regular, committed players to the ranks and the lengths some are forced to go to in order to compete. I think it's a discussion we should be having, it's an issue that's not going to go away.

12. leisa

leisa Active Member

well said Bobo!

13. nook1938

nook1938 Supporting Member

I have not read all the post's on this thread but there a lot of predictions regarding the final placings for grading, I and most likely other people have been onto the Yorkshire Region web site, up to a few minutes age, the Recent Grading Tables, are not yet available and Quote" The Grading Tables following the 2008 contest will be Published on the site after the appeals procedure is concluded". Who, is appealing and Why?.

We all played, we all accepted the result at the end, if you did not, nobody came onto the stage and protested at the time, so why appeal now?. Bands will be employing Human Rights Lawyers next, maybe that would be a good thing after being placed last after everyone says "you have won by a mile", but thats banding, nobody can predict what the "man in the middle" thinks or acts.

I have come across appealing about the grading position before a contest but not after, in fact I have voted against a band trying to drop down a section because they had "lost a couple of players, they still had the corner people in, but thought if the band did not come in the top three, they would lose out on jobs. That I add, was a few years ago, so things have not changed.

14. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

I do not have any gripes about people having the right to free speech, its the way people say it that gets to me really. There's always a way to the means, I always say. There is no need to back bite, you can have a sensible arguement without having to.

15. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

spot on :clap:

16. Owen

Owen Member

With regards to the appeals process, it is possible (and it has happened in Yorkshire, certainly) that after the area contents have happened bands have appealled succesfully both against promotion and relegation. If my memory serves, it is usually after the tables have been published though and not before.

17. stuartw

stuartw Member

I can clarify that bit for you - The final gradings are not up yet because there is an appeals process in the rules (this doesnt mean that anyone will actually appeal). The committee would have to consider any appeals under the rules and so they have decided not to post any 'official' grading tables until the time limit for any appeals has passed. The last thing we would want is to have 'official' tables on line which then had to be changed.

Hope this makes sense

Stuart

18. SuperCat

SuperCat Member

There are some bands that are tied on points in the next to last place- in the 1st section this is Barnsley Building Society and Grange Moor, so maybe in that situation bands appeal?

19. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

I suppose you could, but it is in the rules that you both go down...............

20. Burn_The_Test Piece

Burn_The_Test Piece New Member

4th Section

Attention all 4th Section bands. The adjudicators are particularly strict this year. Splits and mis-pitching will not be tolerated. Remember Order 66.

[​IMG]