Official tMP West of England Regional 2008 thread

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Di, Feb 17, 2008.

1. ophicliede

ophicliede Member

Well done Brunel Brass, 15 months old. With 19 teenagers in the band and now 4th Section Regional Champions. Only in December did you compete against the new 3rd Section Regional Champions and a second section band at the Wessex Contest in Weymouth and beat them. Well done to all concerned and your extraordinary talent and efforts since our formation. Lets hope we can continue this incredible musical journey!
  2. IoW_Sparky

IoW_Sparky New Member

I'm Surprised that people don't know where Shanklin is - we're not from the 'Low Countries' at all but the IoW, i.e. the Isle of Wight! - and we're extremely pleased with our result. Congratulations to all who took part, it was a great contest. IoW Sparky
  3. vcbjet

vcbjet Member

Just heard from my family that Verwood have won the Third Section! Fantastic result and very well deserved after all the hard work you put in! I am thrilled to bits for you all! Three wins in four years (with a 4th place last year) is a superb record, abosolutely delighted! Congratulations! Or as Mr J would say ACE!
  4. Bandito

Bandito New Member

T'anks for zee kind words 'an zee support. Ahora viajamos al norte para la batalla grande. Good luck too to our amigos Bristol East & Kingswood.

Viva Shrewton! Viva! Viva Bristol East & Kingswood! :D
  5. Forest Gump

Forest Gump Member

Championship Section

Sunday 9 March
    The Forum
    Adjudicators: Alan Hope & Colin Hardy
    Festival Music - Eric Ball
    Commences: 1500

1. Mount Charles, A. Duncan, 8, 193
    2. SWT Woodfalls, Dr. N. Childs, 7, 192
    3. PolySteel, P. Harper, 3, 189
    4. St. Keverne, S. Chappell, 11, 189
    5. Lydbrook, T. Brevik, 9, 188
    6. Camborne Town, F. Renton, 1, 187

Aldbourne, M. White, 6
    Bournemouth Concert Brass, Major P. Parkes, 4
    Hyde, P. Wise, 2
    Poole Borough, P. Randell, 10
    St. Austell Town, Dr. R Newsome, 12
    Yeovil Town, D. Barringer, 5

Top 2 bands qualify
    from 4Br
  6. matt_BBb_bass

matt_BBb_bass Member

1. Mount Charles, A. Duncan, 8, 193
    2. SWT Woodfalls, Dr. N. Childs, 7, 192
    3. PolySteel, P. Harper, 3, 190
    4. St. Keverne, S. Chappell, 11, 189
    5. Lydbrook, T. Brevik, 9, 188
    6. Camborne Town, F. Renton, 1, 187
    7. St. Austell Town, Dr. R Newsome, 12, 186
    8. Yeovil Town, D. Barringer, 5, 185
    9. Poole Borough, P. Randell, 10, 184
    10. Bournemouth Concert Brass, Major P. Parkes, 4, 183
    11. Hyde, P. Wise, 2, 182
    12. Aldbourne, M. White, 6, 181

Full Results

From 4br
  7. Forest Gump

Forest Gump Member

Brilliant result for Lydbrook well and what a dramatic turn around since last year, don't think 4 bars rest will be having a go at you this time.
  8. 4thmandown

4thmandown Member

Great result for Lydbrook. I think that 4BR will be eating their words from last year and choking on them; all washed down with a whine made from sour grapes!
  9. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

well to all competing bands. Congrats to the winners and commiseration to the losers.
  10. Sop_Or_Bass?

Sop_Or_Bass? Member

Have worked through the tables (unofficially), but wondering what happens where a band hasn't competed for 3 years as with Test Valley. Can't see the rule on the Kapitol website as being updated.

What's the rule in this circumstance as may/not affect Lydney and South Molton from my workings (Torbay on 37, Test Valley on 35 and Lydney/South Molton on 30)?
  11. tubbytuba

tubbytuba Member

In reply to Wag The Stick re Hope and Hardy when you play whats written as its put on "The Can" you expect to be judged by the same standards im glad they are so highly respected by yourself and i respect your opinion but from my own experience i beg to differ as do many others.See the other postings re the second Bari they didnt even have one!!!!
  12. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Taken from the last copy of the rules, which should stay unchanged:
    l) Any band failing to compete, or which is disqualified from the Contest in any particular year, will be given one place lower than the lowest placed competing band in that section.

m) Any band failing to compete for two consecutive years can be relegated, at the discretion of the Regional Committee, in addition to any action taken under Rule (g). (relegations according to aggregate points)

n) Any band failing to compete for three consecutive years will be removed from the Grading Tables at the end of the third year. If such a band wishes to resume participation in the Contest, it will be treated as a first time entry.
  13. BassBlaster

BassBlaster Member

Well done Lydbrook, nice one, I raise a drink to you, of cider. You deserve it.
  14. jim

jim Member

really bemused by Hope & Hardy, I havnt spoken to one person this weekend who has any faith in them. some very odd results in there respective sections.
  15. weenie

weenie Member

Well done to Mount Charles and Woodfalls and to Lydbrook for a fine 5th place.

I've never been one to moan about a poor result but this one really sticks in the throat and I've no shame in saying to Mr. Hope and Mr. Hardy I hope the next time you come to Torquay it will be on a SAGA holiday!!
  16. Sopmaestro

Sopmaestro Member

hmmmmmmm thats another fine mess you've got us into Mr Hardy.Which tin were you referring to that we needed to play off ? Am now home after the wasted trip to Torquay and enjoying a tin of soup which is going down far better than our result today ! :eek:)
  17. Bari2

Bari2 New Member

I'm still as angry as I was when the results were given out. Hope & Hardy - more like Laurel & Hardy, and the latter pairing could probably have done a better job.
  18. tubbytuba

tubbytuba Member

Take a look back at some of the other recent postings (pages 7+) think its deffo time to start speaking up, band commitees and secretarys etc the ajudication system is a real joke at present.Take a look at what some of these so called adjudicators have acheived NOTHING/ZERO lets get some people that know the job!!!!
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2008
  19. MattEarl

MattEarl Member

Well done Bream for the performance on Saturday and best of luck in the third section!

Well done also to Lydbrook, two fine results from Gloucestershire!
  20. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Active Member

Suggestions? :D

Seriously, I think you may overestimate the number of people who actually want to adjudicate. It's a rotten job, and in many cases the most experienced people will get a lot more money (and kudos) from conducting at a contest than adjudicating it. So Roy Newsome, Nick Childs, Frank Renton, Peter Parkes, Philip Harper, etc. are ruled out, as are all the MDs conducting in Scotland, the North West, Wales, and the Midlands thus eliminating people like Robert Childs, Ian Porthouse, Russell Gray, Ray Farr, Garry Cutt, Nigel Seaman, Duncan Beckley. Then there's the conflict of interest issue discussed in this thread. Plus anyway I'm sure people would complain if Robert Childs adjudicated because his brother is conducting. The running of 5 areas on the same day further depletes the supply of experienced judges, and all of a sudden the list of choices gets a bit thin.