Official tMP West of England Regional 2008 thread

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Di, Feb 17, 2008.

1. mute-ation

mute-ation New Member

West of England League Tables

My Unofficial Interpretation of the West of England League Tables can be found at http://www.brunelbrass.com

As per last year let me know if there are any glaring mistakes.

Andy

2. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Good effort! But I found your format a bit confusing at first.

I think it would be clearer if you didn't move promoted and relegated bands into the sections they will be in next year, as these are this year's tables.

Perhaps you could have separate tables to show how bands will stand going into next year's contest? It's unnecessarily complex at the moment.

3. hicks

hicks Member

Also, I notice there are 3 bands on 22 points in the champ section. Is the ordering correct? How are the placings determined for bands on equal points?

4. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Nice try, but very confusing.
    Tied points don't matter at all - promotions & relegations are done on the 2 highest/lowest aggregate points, it just means in the case of ties more than 2 bands move. (eg. in LSC, 3 went up and down between 1st & champ this year). And remember the promoted/relegated bands don't move until next January.

Seems to me you need to lobby your regional committee to get their finger out and put the 'official' grading tables on their section of the regional-contest website for all to see. There's also no good reason why every region couldn't produce provisional tables on the day (as LSC do) so everyone knows where they stand straight away.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2008
  5. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Are you having the same moment of confusion about this that I did?

He's already moved the two relegated bands into the first section table - so Aldbourne are not relegated, even though the table makes it look like they are.

6. I think a bad result result for us next year and we are facing going down a section :( boo hoo

7. hicks

hicks Member

No I got that bit. I just thought that Yeovil should be placed above Bournemouth, as they have the same points, but came 8th this year. It's a minor point.
    I agree though, it would be clearer to show the tables as they are this year though. Then we could see what the situation is in terms of promotion/relegation.

8. hicks

hicks Member

It could be worse - looks like we really need to put in a cracking performance to avoid the drop next year.

9. Accidental

They're all in 7th place, the next band (on 23 points) is 10th.

10. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Think yourselves lucky; on previous occasions when vibes have been supplied for our regionals, we went on stage to discover 1) they weren't plugged in, 2) they weren't within reach of a power point, 3) when we made a fuss, the stewards looked put out and complained that "nobody else had asked for them to be plugged in", 4) when an extension cable was finally found, and the instrument connected to the socket on the back wall behind the stage, we discovered that the socket wasn't actually live. At which point we gave up and played the piece with "straight" vibes.

11. jackocorn

jackocorn Member

Is anybody running a sweepstake on who and when the title be retained for the first time since 1996?

12. Gig

Gig Member

I would take these tables as whoever does the Brunel's websight idea. For a start there was no relegation from the third section plus there is a small fact of Bendix no longer existing, that's what I know about anyway.

13. mute-ation

mute-ation New Member

Good point :clap: I'll have a play.

14. Accidental

I thought so too - but the statement "as published by....." certainly implies they're official!

Re. Bendix - a band remains in the tables until it has failed to compete for 3 consecutive years. They last played in 2006.

15. The_Eighth_Dwarf

The_Eighth_Dwarf New Member

Ahh, but Bendix offically merged with Bristol East. Not sure what officially happens in this situation. I would guess that it means Bendix dissappear from the tables.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2008
  16. bignige

bignige Member

Perhaps Brunel's webmaster would like to clarify although his original post does say "unofficial". Dangerous thing predicting the ups and downs so the sooner the WoE website is up to date, the better. Anyone on here from the WoE Committee that can let us know what is happening? Also what is with the paintbrushes on the site??

17. mute-ation

mute-ation New Member

Absolutely 100% unofficial but I have tried to model them based on the rules as I understand them. Remember that the regional committee has the ability to apply discretion so they may not be 100% accurate but even if they are not 100% accurate then they should give you a rough idea.

Anyway I have modified the tables so that a band appears in both their old and new ( according to my calculations ) sections so the tables should be a bit clearer. As a result I noticed a mistake and I think that there may be three relegations from the championship section due to equal point situation.

Note the may and not will in the sentence above - got to be so careful as to please the pedants amongst us!

Andy

18. bignige

bignige Member

Well done Andy but I think it was the mention of "as published by the West of England" on your website that was the confusion.

Good luck in Harrogate

19. Lawrencediana

Lawrencediana Member

I can't see that happening Camborne are just too good for that you are very rarely out of the top 4. I think you'll be alright come this time next year

20. mute-ation

mute-ation New Member

Ah got it .. didn't make any sense to me now I understand .. I guess the fact that it says 2007 is also a give away that its a mistake on the site.

Thanks for the clarification and see you in Harrogate!

Andy