Official tMP Welsh Regional 2008 thread

Discussion in '2008 National Championships of Great Britain discu' started by Di, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Deano

Deano Member

I think you'll find that Alan Morrison is adjudicating on his own according to the contest schedule sent out to all competing bands.

2. Timpking

Timpking Member

Penclawdd 1st section?

Llywdcoed and Holywell 2nd section (I think)?

Must be more 4th section bands Newport? Cwmbran? There are normally loads and always delays the start of the championship section!!

3. stopher

stopher Member

Don't think Holywell are going from what I've heard. Also have been told that there are only 8 bands in Section 4, with none from North Wales - what has happened as there 15 last year and 20 the year before?

4. Number_3

Number_3 New Member

It means an early Championship section and more time at the bar!

5. jonmoss

jonmoss New Member

I'm fairly sure there are 9 bands competing in Section 3.

I don't know who is missing though.

6. 007ish

007ish Member

Updated List

Championship

BTM
    Burry Port
    Cory
    Cwmaman
    Northop
    Parc & Dare
    Tredegar
    Tongwynlais
    Wrexham

1st

Abergavenny
    Ammanford
    Beaumaris
    Deiniolen
    Markham
    Mid Rhondda
    Newbridge
    Pontardulais
    RAF St Athan

2nd

Briton Ferry
    Lewis Merthyr
    Newtown
    Point of Ayr
    Rogerstone
    Tylorstown

3rd

Blaenavon Town
    City of Cardiff
    Ogmore
    Porthaethwy Menai Bridge
    Royal Buckley
    Ynyshir

4th

Crosskeys
    Ebbw Vale
    Newport
    Oakdale
    Upper Rhondda

Please add any other bands that you know have entered

Last edited: Feb 21, 2008
  7. Not sure but would doubt Llwydcoed are going I think there are havin a bit of a rough patch - but I might be wrong.

Don't think there are that many going to Swansea in the 4th Section this year, around about 8 bands is the figure I've heard which is naturally disappointing.

8. Deano

Deano Member

Updated List

Championship

BTM
    Burry Port
    Cory
    Cwmaman
    Northop
    Parc & Dare
    Tredegar
    Tongwynlais
    Wrexham

1st

Abergavenny
    Ammanford
    Beaumaris
    Deiniolen
    Markham
    Mid Rhondda
    Newbridge
    Penclawdd
    Pontardulais
    RAF St Athan

2nd

Briton Ferry
    Lewis Merthyr
    Llywdcoed ?????
    Newtown
    Point of Ayr
    Rogerstone
    Tylorstown

3rd

Blaenavon Town
    City of Cardiff
    Ogmore
    Porthaethwy Menai Bridge
    Royal Buckley
    Ynyshir

4th

Crosskeys
    Ebbw Vale
    Newport
    Oakdale
    Upper Rhondda

Please add any other bands that you know have entered

9. Deano

Deano Member

Details from the contest schedule sent out by Phil Morris

Saturday 8th March 2008

3rd Section

Adjudicator Alan Morrison

Draw 10:30
    Start 11:30

2nd Section

Adjudicator David Horsfield

Draw 12:45
    Start after results of 3rd section

1st Section

Draw 3:15
    Start after results of 2nd section

Sunday 9th March

4th Section

Adjudicator David Horsfield

Draw 10:00
    Start 11:00

Championship section

Draw 12:00
    Start after results of 4th section

Looks like it will all be over by 5pm on the Sunday

10. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Updated List

Championship

BTM
    Burry Port
    Cory
    Cwmaman
    Northop
    Parc & Dare
    Tredegar
    Tongwynlais
    Wrexham

1st

Abergavenny
    Ammanford
    Beaumaris
    Deiniolen
    Markham
    Mid Rhondda
    Newbridge
    Penclawdd
    Pontardulais
    RAF St Athan

2nd

Briton Ferry
    Lewis Merthyr
    Llanrug
    Llywdcoed
    Newtown
    Point of Ayr
    Rogerstone
    Tylorstown

3rd

Blaenavon Town
    Goodwick Brass
    City of Cardiff
    Gwaun-Cae-Gurwen
    Ogmore
    Porthaethwy Menai Bridge
    Royal Buckley
    Royal Oakleley
    Ynyshir

4th

Crosskeys
    Ebbw Vale
    Knighton Town Silver
    Newport
    Oakdale
    Upper Rhondda
    Crwbin
    Severn Tunnel

(updated as per British Bandsman listing)

11. stopher

stopher Member

Well, I think the low turn out represents the fairly sorry state of Welsh banding to be honest. 44 bands - and that is with Point of Ayr reforming this year and no NW Wales bands in the 4th section which only has 8 bands in!!!!!! What happened to the double figures of the last couple of years? It's the grass roots of welsh banding and without these bands attending, what will happen in a few years - will the Welsh area be under 40 bands next year?

12. CardiffTromb

CardiffTromb New Member

Totally agree it really is sad. Have any North Walian bands folded or any reason why they dont compete anymore? Remember the time when North Walian bands dominated the prizes. Looking forward to a good weekend of banding!

13. The low number of entries is very disappointing, espeicially in the 4th Section which has been so well attended for the last few years.

One positive to take from the low number in the 4th Section is the appearence of a new name - Knighton Town Silver, not sure where they have come from but it's always pleasing to see a new band on the scene, hope they enjoy their day in Swansea.

14. hughess

hughess Member

Hate to say it again, but its the distance,
    Nobody ever seems to listen.

15. CardiffTromb

CardiffTromb New Member

I think you have a good point there. I personally wouldnt mind travelling up to somewhere central like Aberystwyth. I think it would be much fairer on all bands. Maybe we could even do a two year circle where we alternate between Llandudno / Rhyl and Swansea?

16. stopher

stopher Member

Don't think any more bands have folded although one or two are having problems. Think its down to the fact that in order to compete, NW bands are looking at £2000 each year to compete and has been in Swansea a decade. A large proportion of that money could have gone into new instruments for Junior bands, uniforms or any other project that the bands have. The Brangwyn is within an hour of most SW bands so its just the cost of a bus or even a car journey to get there.

With banding in the state it is in, give it another 5 years and there will be under 30 let alone 40 bands attending Swansea!

17. Di

Di Active Member

Thanks for that Peter.

Predictions now added folks

Click on "tMP Predictions" at the top of the page to be taken to Prediction Central

18. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Active Member

Holywell had a lot of ex Point of Ayr players in their ranks who have now gone back to their old band leaving too many vacancies to put a band out at the area, from what I understand.

I also suspect that this year a lot of North Wales bands are not going because of the expense - an overnight stay is pretty much required unless you fancy a 20 hour day. Unless the Welsh area finally starts to alternate venues between North, South and Mid Wales (so an overnight is only required every 3 years), you're looking at the future of Welsh banding.

19. John Wynne

John Wynne New Member

The Problem in North of Wales is not one of bands folding. None have folded as far as I know. It is purely down to the cost and the travelling 4 - 5hrs (more in fact for the more Northerly bands). Having held the contest in Swansea for nearly the last 10 years it is taking its toll. I know from our bands point of view that we found it hard this year to get the same motivation to raise a band to come down to the Areas. I know Swansea council provide the Brangwyn Hall at a relativley low cost if indeed any but we need to seriously consider having it in alternate venues alternating between the North & South of the country. There are some good venues in the North so that should not be an issue. If we don,t do something quick we will indeed ind up with less than 40 bands competing and only one or two from the North which makes a mockery of the whole process.

20. JessopSmythe

JessopSmythe Active Member

This gets debated every year. Alternating between North / South is an OK idea but going to mid wales with it's appalling road links just makes it hard work for every body! Besides, as long a the use of the Brangwyn Hall comes for free, they've got very little incentive to move out.