Official tMP Scottish Regional 2008 thread

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Di, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Fergus

Fergus Member

Scottish Championship Section

1. Whitburn, R. Gray, 3, 193
    2. Kirkintilloch, S. Simonsen, 8, 192
    3. Kingdom Brass, C. Anderson, 7, 189
    4. Scottish Co-op, A. Ramsay, 9, 188
    5. Unison Kinneil, C. McKenzie, 6, 184
    6. Bon-Accord Silver, M. Hansen, 10, 182
    7. Dalmellington, A. Hutchison, 1, 181
    8. Newtongrange, R. Farr, 2, 180
    9. Dunaskin Doon, J. Boax, 4, 177
    10. Newmilns and Galston, A. McCutcheon, 5, 175

Top 2 bands qualify
    Soloist: coming later

Courtesy of 4barsrest
  2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

An interesting day at the Scottish. Acoustics were a lot different to what I expected. Has any changes been made to the structure of the halls in recent years?
  3. bbg

bbg Member

The principal difference that I noticed from when Grimethorpe played there a few years back was the actual staging - I am sure that Grimey played on the flat floor of the hall without even the three foot high temporary stage used over the weekend. Could this have some effect on the acoustic, which was very dry indeed?
  4. groovy

groovy Active Member

Of course Brian :D Its always a pleasure! Disappointed to miss you lot yesterday but we were rehearsing till 3. You will be pleased with that, very respectable 7th, and great to see PB staying up in the 2nd section - definately overdue and the only was is up! Mr A used to always say that the band should be in the 2nd section and he's right :D

Aye we were delighted today, Championship section will be a challenge but looking forward to it! We'll just get Harrogate over with first though!

Well done to everyone over the weekend - Cambeltown, what a result! And good to see other Fife bands doing well - congrats to Bo'ness, and Kingdom for a fantastic 3rd place in the Championship section.
  5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- I don't mind dry stage acoustics as long as it doesn't make you feel too isolated from the band, but the lighting was kinda hot! Sitting at various points throughout the hall still revealed detail from performances and also vibration from the floor of the seating gallery when any band dared to power bass section and bass drum.
  6. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

Didnt seem as dry as Id thot it be, in fact I quite liked it, didnt feel isolated at all and seemed loud enough even tho I wasnt honking it out too much!

There was a row of lights behind Craig that kinda blinded me from him abit, but as usual the sweat was pouring off with being quite warm under the lights!
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2008
  7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Congrats on your win on Saturday and Craig must also be chuffed at Kingdom getting 3rd. Pity I never saw you to say hello and let you try that ex-mouthpiece of Steve Sykes.
  8. Colin Hogg

Colin Hogg Member

I would like to congratulate the organisers at the Scottish Areas. I have conducted and played at most other area venues, but the organisation at Glenrothes was the best I have come across. Some one had gone to a lot of trouble to guess the running order timings. Each band knew exactly where they had to be and at what time. Selkirk and I were drawn 11, but the timings were only a few minutes out when we went on.
    The results were quick and after the top 3 were given, the whole section was shown on the over head screen on the stage. So no running around asking othe bands where they came so you could get the final places!!
    Well done.
    Also like to thank all at Selkirk for making me so welcome, hope we can do it again some time.
  9. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

Thought the Championships were excellently run over the weekend. It was a great atmosphere yesterday with the hall very busy most of the time. Even my band with the dreaded no.1 draw was playing to a reasonably well filled hall. Hopefully we will be back to the Rothes Halls again.

As for acoustics I was pretty happy with what was on offer. Had the chance to sit in the adjudicator's spot in the hall in the week running up to the contest and from there you could hear absolutely everything.

Great result for Kingdom, well done to Whitburn on an overdue Scottish title, and well done to my two bands, Kirkie getting back to London after a disappointing second half of 2007 and Lochgelly on a brilliant third place in 1st section off a number one draw! :clap: :clap::clap: Had a premonition about that.

Well done to my pal Willie Ralston and his Cambeltown crew, fantastic result to beat a good band like Johnstone, and well done Jim Chamberlain and Dalkeith. Back in the 2nd section at the first attempt.
  10. McChambo

McChambo Member

Thanks Paul. Well done to you and Lochgelly! In fact, congrats to all prizewinners. What a great weekend! I actually made it to work this morning, albeit with a very sore head......................

One question remains though, did Mr. Pritchard-Jones write anything positive over the weekend?? I don't think he was too impressed with any of the 3rd section bands!! Thankfully, Steve Sykes gave us a much more positive crit.

Roll on Harrogate / London / Ostend / Prestonpans...................
  11. Dave1

Dave1 Member

"One question remains though, did Mr. Pritchard-Jones write anything positive over the weekend?? I don't think he was too impressed with any of the 3rd section bands!! Thankfully, Steve Sykes gave us a much more positive crit."

Have to agree Jim (and well done by the way) although he did write "good percussion" for us.
  12. FastFinguredFreddy

FastFinguredFreddy New Member

Have to say well done to all the prize winners. Venue was pretty good, although shame the warm up rooms acoustics were so different to that of the actual stage but then maybe I'm being picky!

Got to agree with the above comments about the adjudicators as I found the same with our crits. Makes it feel a bit like a "you were the best of a bad bunch" job. Still that aside well done all including the stage crew etc who made it all run smoothly.
  13. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Steve Sykes and Steve Pritchard-Jones were critical of the standard of the third section in their remarks from the stage and their points reflected that with the winning band only being awarded 179 points. As far as I am concerned if the standard is bad then be honest and say so and well done to the adjudicators for doing that. If my band played badly, as we did at Harrogate in 2005 (with Steve Sykes in the box coincidentally), then I would appreciate the adjudicators being brutally honest rather than try to be nice about it. If you don't know where you went wrong then how can you hope to improve.
  14. MrsC

MrsC Member

Are you saying that the bands that won the 3rd section didn't really deserve to be there??? :eek:
  15. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I think John is saying that the judge's expectations were not met generally for that section. That doesn't mean they didn't grade the bands by relative standards on the day.
  16. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

As brassneck points out I am merely saying that I think it is quite alright for an adjudicator, especially in the Nationals, to give an indication of the overall standard. The bands that won here will be able to look at their score and remarks and judge that against the points from other areas to get an idea of what they need to do to compete in Harrogate.
  17. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Great result for your band Jim and another chance for glory at Harrogate. It always annoys me that we (Lochgelly) let you down badly at Harrogate in 2005 and I really do wish you well and hope you get a much better placing this time around.
  18. redstripe

redstripe New Member

adjudicators cock up again in scotland?

dodgy result at scottish areas!! scottish co-op won by a mile, as the majority of the audience seemed to go along with the same sentiment, yet they did'nt even qualify.....could somebody please explain?????
  19. brittm

brittm Member

Hmmm..... 1st post? dodgy result? no name......????:confused:

I wasn't at the Scottish Areas, as I was busy winning ours! but I'd be interested in an objective opinion from a real person.

Well done Kirki and Whitburn! Good to see Kirki back after a couple of lack lustre results..

Martin Britt
  20. redstripe

redstripe New Member

it would be nice to contest such a weak area as yours.......i know you,ll agree......