Official tMP London & Southern Counties Regional 2007 thread

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Di, Feb 4, 2007.

1. Ian McElligott

Ian McElligott New Member

Yes, I can certainly confirm that Staines will not be competing at the areas. It's terribly sad as the band was really beginning to make it's mark both at local and national level. As to why some members of the band simply deserted after the Nationals is beyond me as no explanation has been given by those who simply upped sticks. Perhaps it's a 'Grass is Greener' mentality but it left a bitter taste for the remaining members (8 people turned up at our first rehearsal on the 22 January). No notice was given at all with the exception of one or two. However, the band has taken the decision to withdraw from this years Areas as we simply do not have the time to draw a band together. If anyone out there would care to join us, you'd be made very welcome.
  2. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for that official confirmation - I've amended the list at the top of this thread. I agree that it is a shame, as the band seemed to have a lot going for them, and I hope some new recruits can soon be found so the rebuilding process can continue.
  3. JR

JR Member

Anybody from London prepared to shed some light on this?
    How can a band which played well in the Albert Hall last October just "disappear" - or am i missing something?

4. Texus

Texus Member

My point is that good London Bands have proved that they have the credentials to achieve at a National level, but we seem to not sustain this year in year out. Only Staines' players will really know why they aren't there this year.
  5. Lully

Lully New Member

All the best of luck to everyone competing at Stevenage - especially Horsham Borough, the LGB budapest **** up crew ;) ,and the people i know at Battle! Did my first yorkshire areas at the weekend since moving up this way for uni - to be honest I don't remember much after we played due to alcohol consumption - but an area contest just isnt the same without the Tesco breakfast we always had at Stevenage!! :p
  6. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

May I humbly refer you to Ian McElligott's inaugural post but a few posts pack?

I have a suspicion he'll know.

7. Redhorn

Redhorn New Member

Alliance Brass are also withdrawing from the Championship section, as they can't get a full band out.
    Such a shame that 2 of the big 5 bands in the area are now not competing, and perhaps its endemic of the band scene in London- where people seem not to want to commit themselves to weekly or twice weekly practices all year long.
    Still, should make it a comfortable victory for Aveley & Newham now!
  8. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

That makes a mess of my guesswork on the predictagizmatronothingy. :(
  9. Texus

Texus Member

No Alliance either? This section is rapidly turning into a joke if two of the supposed best bands in the area aren't there....
  10. JR

JR Member

...and what about the Blackpool weekend?
    Alliance are listed in the Grand shield and Staines for the Senior Cup
    Does this mean a re-shuffle and 2 more for the senior trophy if they don't show?
    And how much notice are they going to give? - the area's quite soon isnt it?
  11. Redhorn

Redhorn New Member

Alliance will be at Blackpool! So many players are professionals, and it just happened to be that several had to work on the 18th. Its just bad luck!

Not sure about Staines though.
  12. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

I think that is a great point. Surely if people, and who can blame them, have to take on paid work with about 2 weeks notice before the area, the same could happen again before Blackpool, depriving another band of a great opportunity.

However whilst I appreciate everybody has to work, the date of the area has been known for a year.
  13. JR

JR Member

The area is on a sunday
    Blackpool is the saturday
    So the "professionals" are working on the Sunday 18 March but have got the saturday in May off (19th - and the afternoon of the friday to travel up presumably)
    What sort of work do they do?
  14. Texus

Texus Member

Whilst i don't want this to turn into an argument about the merits of professional players and bands - colleagues and friends - I find it difficult to understand this. Dates have been around for ages now. This approach to banding is weakening the area and its reputation rather than improving it, and denying opportunities for bands that rehearse on a regular basis.
  15. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

The closing date for entries was 20th January. You would assume (dangerous thing assumption) that when entered Alliance had a full band. Now less than 2 months later the Professionals have taken on work.

Whilst nobody knows individuals circumstances as to whether they need to earn the money or not. I feel sorry for those amateurs in Alliance who now are not playing at the area. I hope they make their feelings to those 'professionals' known. It must also be galling for members of Staines Band knowing that perhaps they could have used some of these players.
  16. Redhorn

Redhorn New Member

I think the main problem was filling seats.... and when it became clear over the last few days that this wasnt possible several of the 'professional musicians' within the band took paid work elsewhere. Remember this isnt a band that practices week in week out, but which specifically gets together just for contests.

As one of the 'amateurs', yes its a bit annoying- but nothing can be done now. Life goes on!

I know that the decision was not taken lightly, and there was massive amounts of work being done to get a band out.

So, rather than battling with the solo horn part I'll now be staying at home to celebrate 'Mothers Day', unless i get any other offers! ;-)
  17. JR

JR Member

So how can one be sure they've got a band for Blackpool!!
    If I was Derek Atkinson or Frank Hodges (uber-efficient Spring Festival organisers) I'd be on the blower - pronto
  18. Redhorn

Redhorn New Member

see parag.1 of my post just above yours.
    I'm just the messenger, dont shoot me! :sup
  19. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

Without wishing to cast aspertions, isn't this symptomatic of bands which are basically pulled together for the contest rather than a stable band that meets every week, undertakes concerts etc? I bet when Alliance entered they hadn't even thought about the line up!
  20. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

I think Redhorn explained the scenario for the area in his post above yours.

I would guess that they already know they have filled the seats for Blackpool, unlike for the area.

Dave I can't offer you anything for Sunday but you can be Cawstons Bass Section Official Beer Buyer & Carrier on Saturday.

Pay is lousy but if it stops overcrowding at the bar the rewards for everbody else will be magnificent!