Official tMP L&SC Regional Thread 2006

Discussion in '2006 National Championships of Great Britain discu' started by dyl, Mar 4, 2006.

1. dyl

dyl Active Member

This is the official tMP discussion thread for the London & Southern Counties Regional Contest of the forthcoming Regional Championships of Great Britain.

Feel free to discuss your thoughts and predictions for each section within the area - but don't forget to enter the tMP Predictions Competition- for your chance to contribute to the overall tMP Predictions. Details of the tMP Predictions Competition can be found here: http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/showthread.php?t=19589

We also ask that when the results for the various sections are announced, they are posted in this thread, and not posted as brand new threads - it has the potential to become extremely messy should this be the case. We will be creating and maintaining a complete set of results for viewing on the tMP Portal as they happen.

We do have one request though! Please remember, that when pasting directly from other sources, always credit the source please.

Saturday 18th March
    Arts & Leisure Centre, Stevenage

3rd Section - Draw : 9am.
    Adjuducator : Colin Hardy

Bradwell (C Johnston) - Chinnor (D Pegram) - Croydon (P Martin) - Enfield (Motor Museum & Potters and Bar) (S Groarke) - Epsom & Ewell (E Howard) - Fulham (P McLaughlin) - Hangleton (J Williams) - Hemel Hempstead (G Weeks) - Hilgay (A Clarke) - LBG (I Stewart) - Littleport (P Mead) - Norfolk Wherry (A Craze) - St Sebastian's (Wokingham) (D Richards) - Stantonbury (A Jenkin) - Woodbridge Excelsior (A Duguid)

2nd Section - Draw : 1pm
    Adjudicator : Chris Wormald

Betteshanger Welfare (D Burridge) - Brighton & Hove City (J Williams) - Capital Concert (J Mirahan) - Cawston (C Swaep) - Denham Hendon (G Davies) - East London (D Shead) - Egham (G Green) - Epping Forest (M Easener) - Fairlop (K Jordan) - Grimsdyke (S Broughall) Hitchin Town (I Graves) - Jersey Premier (T Pritchard) - Tilbury (R Nunnery) - Ware (K Durbin) - Yiewsley & West Drayton (C Cole)

Sunday 19th March

4th Section - Draw : 9.30am
    Adjudicator : Chris Wormald

Amersham (A Fawbert) - Battle Town (J Penton) - Bletchington (S Barwick) - Broseley Development MK (D Johnston) - Chalgrove ( M Pegram) - Charles Church Camberley ( R Cherry) - Cobham (D Rual) - Cottenham (G Watson) - Fakenham Town (D Wakefield) - Great Yarmouth (S Philpot) - Harwich RBL (A Sanders) - Haslemere Town (G Wade) - Hungerford Town (T Crouter) - Jubilee (Oxford) (C Sadler) - King's Lynn Town (S Ingham) - Letchworth Garden City (T Welch) - Loddon (J Knight) - Oxford Templars (J Davies) - Royston (S Jones) - Somersham Town (D Chambers) - Thundersley (K Schroeder) - Wantage B (D Dullforce) - Waterbeach (J Utting) - Watford (M France) - Wolverton Town (J Mott)

1st Section - Draw : ???
    Adjudicator : David Horsfield

Alder Valley (S Chislett) - Becontree (G Sheldon) - Bedford Town (C Reeves) - Broseley MK - (P Fensome) - Chichester City (L Bulchart) - City of Cambridge (C Paterson) - Colchester (M Easener) - Crystal Palace (M Gray) - Haverhill (M Ager) - Horsham Borough (G Bacon) - KM Medway (G Wilson) - Regent (R Ward) - Sandhurst (R Burke) - St Alban's City (S Garman) - Stonesfield (T Brotherhood) - Wantage A (P Bailey)

Championship Section - Draw : ???
    Adjudicator : Colin Hardy

Alliance Brass (J Clark) - Aveley and Newham (N Taken) - Clacton-on-Sea Co-operative (R Wiffin) - Friary Guildford (K Maxwell) - Ipswich & Norwich Co-op (R Norman) - Kidlington Concert (TBC) - Northfleet (A Caldon) - Redbridge (M White) - Soham Comrades (C King) - Staines (I McElligott) - Welywn Garden City (D Jones) - Zone One (S Dobson)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2006
  2. starperformer

starperformer Member

London and southern counties can usually be relied upon to come up with the strongest talking and weakest playing. Where's all the hype this year? Don't tell me some of these bands are too busy rehearsing? Or maybe there's going to be a late charge of big talk in the next 2 weeks?

I think Staines, Bedford, Capital and Epping will be the success stories this year.

3. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

:-? wot?

... Ah.. just found a few earlier posts from you...

Here we go again.. :D

Mods, can we get an IGNORE button? :D

4. Simon_Horn

Simon_Horn Member

I agree with the first part....but weakest playing??? Everyone knows the LSC has held it's own in recent years. I'm sure this year will be no different.

In fact, according to 4barsrest.com, LSC have the highest number of entered bands (84 or so) of all the areas - that say something about how alive and kicking banding is dawn sawth.

5. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

It's in the User CP.

6. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Cheers! :oops:

7. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Starperformer... I assume you DON"T play for a L&SC band then? (hard to tell as you don't bother to identify yourself).
    If you did, maybe you'd be equally p*ed off at the assumption that our bands aren't as good, you'd be aware of how well bands from our region have done at the lower sections finals recently, and you'd be proud of our top bands' ability to hold their own among bands from supposedly 'stronger' areas.

8. Simon_Horn

Simon_Horn Member

9. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Actually, Mr StarPerformer does play for a L&SC band, and I suspect his post was to kick start this thread into life! Which it has done! :clap:

I've just had a traumatic experience at band this evening. I have carefully marked up my timpani music to remind myself which drum to hit, and when to kick the pedals to change the notes. Imagine my dismay when I discovered that we are only being provided with 3 timps, instead of the 4 I have been practicing on. :( Back to the drawing board with only about 6 rehearsals to go.

Still, at least I found out now, not on the stage at Stevenage I suppose. :(

10. Redhorn

Redhorn New Member

I refer you to Mr S. Performers post from 14th Oct 05, in reference to predicting the results at the Nationals, RAH, in reference to Redbridge and A & N:

"judging from recent years' efforts, London and Pride just about sums up these bands' preparations

18th and 20th would be surprising, although maybe next year will be better, when one of the best bands in the area moves up into the top section"

So, firstly hes toilet at predicting! :oops: And secondly we can assume hes either linked to Clacton, or perhaps more probably Staines! ;)

11. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

My memory isn't great, but didn't a band from Potters Bar in Hertfordshire become National Champions a year or two ago? If they played weakly how poor was the northern opposition??!! I guess your defence is in the use of the word 'usually'..

12. Chris Kirk

Chris Kirk Member

Some interesting comments above. I believe that L&SC bands have been impressive in the finals in recent years. Staines and Potters Bars are just a couple. However, the seventh place by Redbridge last year just goes to show how much the standard is improving and that we cannot just be dismissed as not having the ability.

The Championship section should be very interesting, Redbridge on present form should win.

The battle will be for the next qualifying place and 3rd; anyone one of last years 2nd to 5th places could be in with a shout and I’m certainly not dismissing Staines.

13. vonny

vonny Member

Wow i like this thread, didn't know 'Southeners' could be so exciting :wink:
    All the best to all who are taking part in the LSC contests

Yvonne x

P.S. I might take a wander as i am going to be in that 'neck of the woods' that weekend :)

14. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Again, my memory isn't great, but in the days when I lived in London I rather fancy I remember the then Newham Band coming 5th at the National Championships (1988? 1989?) Around then, anyway. So there have been bands of a pretty good standard in the area for some time.

15. Redhorn

Redhorn New Member

So, does anyone know anything about the adjudicators?....
    Do they have REPUTATION? ;-)

16. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Don't know about you guys but 2nd section is Chris Wormald (sp?) which I'm quite happy about. Though I'd be happier with 2 in the box, given the number of bands I cannot believe our regional comittee are THAT hard up!:mad:

17. starperformer

starperformer Member

OK, fine, London bands are every bit as good as other areas, you're all quite right. A 7th and a 5th at the nationals in the last 2 decades is solid proof of that. My mistake.

Seriously though the 3rd and 4th section down here really are quite strong compared with other areas - the sheer number of bands in those sections is testament to (and partial explanation for) that. Yorkshire 3rd section was awful on Sunday, and they don't have that many bands - that's a national title we haven't lost before we start.

18. starperformer

starperformer Member

see comments on Yorkshire thread (where he was also adjudicating 2nd)

(a) he had a definite preference for bands that took it well under tempo (and got it clean)

(b) 2 in the box can be a real mixed blessing - at least with one they will usually agree amongst themself and you get consistent results across the board

19. Come on then all you clever predictors, what about the 4th section, anybody good a prediction for L&SC?

20. Bungle

Bungle Member

Don't forget there's alot of Northerners living daan souf (like me self). And bands can bring players in from Norway for contests just as easily as northern bands.