Official tMP L & SC Regional 2008 thread

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Di, Feb 17, 2008.

1. yank67

yank67 Member

I keep telling you that you have to get out of the sport centre for real beer!
  2. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Is it 12? I'd better have another look at it, then.....

Damn glasses...
  3. Bass Trumpet

I've just had a good look at the runners and riders for this contest and I honestly think that the section to watch this year is the 1st. I certainly mean no disrespect to the Championship bands, but the L&SC has always been a three or four horse race in that section. However, the 1st section not only has newly relegated bands who are willing to move mountains to get back into the top flight, but also some very tasty bands who have put in some cracking performances of late. I think this is the most wide-open contest of the lot.

Having looked down the line, there are at least three bands wanting to get back up after relegation; Regent, Soham, Friary. Also, there are bands who have traditionally been very strong but have been through changes, like Denham Hendon and Matthews Turkeys (as they're known locally :oops:). Also, there are bands like Ipswich and Cambridge who have put in consistantly good performances over the past couple of years and both need one more good result to secure promotion.

My own best wishes go to Egham and Cawston who have both been recently promoted to the section. It really is amazing how well Cawston has improved on such limited resources - top marks to Chunky and the team.

I am really looking forward to this section. If anybody sees me in the bar during the contest, please take my beer off me and thrown me back into the hall!

Good luck to all!
  4. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

5. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

I agree the 1st section is the one to watch this year, but the top section could throw up some surprises too. Several bands in both sections have changed a lot since the last area (some beyond all recognition!) so I think there's potential for some quite unexpected results.

Interesting comments about the relegated bands Duncan - what do you mean by 'moving mountains'? I've had a good play with the grading tables and reckon even if we or Soham won we'd be unlikely to go straight back up because of the points from 05 & 06. We're just going to turn up with our regular players and do the best we can! And (I'm being really picky, sorry!) aren't Ipswich & Northfleet more recently relegated than Regent?
  6. Looks like it will be very difficult for either Friary or Soham to get back up, although its all dependant on results from 2 or 3 recent close runners like Ipswich/Cambridge. They get a top 3 then I dont think we have got much of a chance. I know that Soham will be more than happy to obtain a solid top half result regardless, best chances of promotion for ourselves and Friary will be next year.

Will make for a very interesting 1st section come the results however ;)
  7. Bass Trumpet

Just a figure of speech! I suppose what I mean is that, when a band is relegated, they have real determination and drive to get back up. A bit like when a football team is relegated, they spend the next season playing with such dogged determination to get back! I know all about that one, being a Charlton supporter!

Best of luck next week.

btw. You are probably right about Ipswich and Northfleet. I haven't studied things too carefully!
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2008
  8. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

I'm going to be happy with a solid mid table position. Becontree have bounced back nicely since GC took over, and might surprise a few people (including ourselves!) with a respectable finish.
  9. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

Actually, it's only 9 but I wanted to wind the basses up a bit!

10. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

12's / 6's / 9's whatever Ian! We as reasonable methodical people on the bass section will take them one note at a time and if you fancy slide boys have to wait for us so be it! ;)
  11. yank67

yank67 Member

Well said my good man! Make them wait!
  12. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

We don't get much choice, anyway, the Euphs play most of your notes for you don't they.
  13. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Ouch !!!! Wish they would, will have a word tonight!
  14. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

You're not wrong there..... I just panicked for a moment and thought we should/could be doing more :rolleyes:

And I'm glad I'm not the only one who fiddles with the tables 2nd trom - I think both bands have a very similar approach and hopes this year!
  15. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

I have had a little fiddle too! As its our first year ever in the 1st section hoping it won't be our only!
  16. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

I always felt, that in some ways the 1st Section is probably the most diffciult section in any contest. Mainly, because you have the Championship Section bands being relegated and with that, the standard of play is always going to just that one nothch more to climb up. Ok, I know there those bands that surpass this, but in the main really I do think this is probably the most diffuclt section, apart from the Championship.
  17. I agree, its one of the hardest sections. Maybe, and this is my own opinion, there should be more bands competing in the championship section? The only way they could do that is by changing the relegation set-up though - maybe a few years with just 1 band relegated max? Not sure
  18. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Of course it's one of the hardest sections, it's one below the hardest!

All joking apart how will expanding the top section help? You promote bands more easily into a section they are possibly not ready for.

Most bands progress out of a section when they are capable.

In my opinion keeping the top section elitist keeps it stronger and ensures only the best survive.
  19. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

Hope you get a respectable finish Will . Having heard Bec at Butlins it is obvious that a lot of work has gone in ( and getting rid of the dodgy second euph has probably helped !! :) ) and it was sounding good.Best wishes to all of you !
  20. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

Always survival of the fittest!!