Official Pontins thread

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by postie, Sep 7, 2005.

1. postie

postie Member

List Of bands entered for Pontins

For anyone interested in what bands have entered for Pontins just go to the following link
  2. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

26 entered in the 1st section - I hope we get a nice early draw :guiness
  3. tsawyer

tsawyer Member

How come Imps are in the Championship section?

4. ericthered

ericthered Member

Derr...because they are a good band!?! I heard them at Stevenage and they were cool :cool: !
  5. tsawyer

tsawyer Member

So are the band that beat you at the area, but they're playing in the first section.

6. semiquaver

semiquaver New Member

I think there is some internal promotion/relegation within the Pontins contest.

If you were in Championship contest and got relegated nationally but did ok at Pontins you can stay. I think if you are in the first section and win you can be promoted to championship if you wish, regardless of your national status.

I'm pretty sure the rules are easily found with a quick google.
  7. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I think Pontins is starting to turn into not just a killer party, but killer contest!!

Two British Open Bands (Ashton Under Lyne, Tredegar), a couple more that have been in the British Open recently (or Pontin's recently, but now in the Open) with Yorkshire Imps, Carlton Main, Skelmanthorpe, Hepworth a couple of recent RAH qualifiers (Staffordshire, Wingates, & Beaumaris)
  8. jim

jim Member

The championship section looks an exciting one this year theres a good 7-8 bands that could easily take this one not sure if I will be playing for anyone up there this year just a weekend off buse! its better than counting the bars rest for percusion on Three figures!
  9. hmm?!
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2005
  10. sudcornet

sudcornet Member

For Mr Sawyer's information (before the Imp-bashing starts again.)

We did apply for entry into the first section contest...'cos, as you rightly point out, we are a first section band. Unfortunately that section was well over-subscribed, so, the organisers offered us entry in the Championship competition which we accepted.

Perhaps they've heard us play too!

FYI...I don't think we're the only first section band competing in the Championship section.....are you going to have a go at them too?

11. sevenhelz

sevenhelz Active Member

erm... can anyone see greenalls on that list??
  12. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

To be fair, I can't see the problem myself, at least you've got the guts to go in the top section and have a crack.
    I think there would be more of a problem if a Championship section band was in the 1st section
  13. madsaz

madsaz Member

Sorry guys - Ashton wont be going, too many people unavailable. Some of us will still be partying though.
  14. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

What's this? Tim Sawyer engaging in some Imp-bashing. I never would have thought it!

Change the record Tim, it's getting boring. Sorry, it is boring!
  15. dyl

dyl Active Member

And on that note, we'll get back to discussing Pontins and cease with the band-bashing and name-calling!

16. tsawyer

tsawyer Member

Er, I was only curious! When have I "imp bashed" before exactly? I can't find it...

17. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

Is there a Pontins thread already running?

If not lets start one....

We are going, just started to look at Lorenzo this week. Mmmmmmmm not sure about it so far, it does'nt seem to be a particularly technical test for 1st Section on initial reading.

Who else is going, when/where are people drinking/eating, etc, etc

Edit: There was one, but in the Events section and aimed at those playing with the tMP band. dyl tracked down another one, so we'll make this the Offical Pontins thread, now post and tell us what everyone's doing! PB, Mod
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2005
  18. hope all 2nd section bands are having fun with the verry dificult test piece :rolleyes: . glad im away that weekend in spain, any Bbb bass players fancy it?
  19. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Number of bands in some sections is silly. They should fix a number of bands that can be in each section and once this is full say no more. Only real harm with the Imps situation is if this denied a less well known but actually championship section band a place, but championship was already a lot more than 1 band too full anyway, but no evidence that this is the case. (Have no personal biases at all here, as I much prefer lower section test pieces to listen to and can't usually cope with more than 1 or 2 renditions of a championship test piece.)

4th section should be interesting this year, as the piece seems quite easy (certainly in relation to this year's area) so quite a lot of bands will play it fairly reasonably.
  20. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

Thanks Tim, nice to know there is someone out there who thinks we are a good band!:clap: