Official National Finals Thread - Third Section

Discussion in '2006 National Championships of Great Britain discu' started by Di, Jul 25, 2006.

1. Di

Di Active Member

Test Piece : Sinfonietta in Three Movements. Gordon Langford

Adjudicators: Kevin Wadsworth and Steve Pritchard-Jones

Competing Bands :

SCOTLAND
    Tullis Russell (The Papermakers) Mills, Alan Morrison - 183 pts
    Broxburn Silver, Colin McKenzie - 181 pts

NORTH WEST
    Rainford Silver, Neil Samuel - 186 pts
    Flixton, Kevin Gibbs - 185 pts

YORKSHIRE

Horbury Victoria, Bob Walker - 185 pts
    Clifton & Lightcliffe, John Clay - 184 pts

NORTH of ENGLAND

Durham Constabulary, K. MacDonald - 180 pts
    Stape Silver, Garry Hallas - 179 pts

WALES

Beaumaris B, P. Hughes - 184 pts
    Radyr and Morganstown Mellingriffith, Gareth Ritter - 183 pts

WEST OF ENGLAND
    St Pinnock, P Minear - 179 pts
    Gillingham Silver Band, E Haines - 177 pts

MIDLANDS
    Long Eaton Silver Prize, S Stansfield - 185 pts
    Leicestershire Co-op Snibston Charnwood, G Jacklin - 182 pts
    Malton '77, H Gibbs - 181 pts

L&SC
    Norfolk Wherry Brass, A Craze - 184 pts
    LGB, I Stewart - 182 pts

Last edited: Sep 18, 2006
  2. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

We will be starting our rehearsals in earnest in a couple of weeks after the holiday season;)
    We now have a hotel.:p ................ our other one burnt down!!:(
    See you all soon
    Shaz

3. GingerMaestro

GingerMaestro Active Member

This one I think is a no brainer in that Tullis Russel will walk it with Mr Morrison at the helm they couldn't be in better hands but they could be pushed a little bit by Long Eaton and Satchmo Shaz

4. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

lets hope so! ;)

5. wantapie

wantapie New Member

Martin, a band can have the greatest conductor in the world and still not get in the prizes. Conductors can only work with what they have infront of them.

6. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

Go St Pinnock! :biggrin: I'll cheer loudly if I get the chance to listen to you!!

7. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

From some of the names I've heard rumoured there won't be any problems on that front either. Can't wait to see the next press release from the band.

8. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

I strongly disagree, the form guide for me would be one of the North West bands, who have won practically everything in the past year, I'm not going to jinx them by naming them ;) but I'm sure everyone know who I'm talking about! :tup

9. GingerMaestro

GingerMaestro Active Member

I quite agree but They have been in a rich vein of form recently so with that in mind I think they should have it in the bag IMO

10. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Tullis haven't contested since the Scottish Championships and to the best of my knowledge won't be going to another contest before the Nationals. They have had their problems recently with getting a settled band but, as I alluded to above, they seem to have that sorted now. With the players they have in their ranks and the man in the middle I wouldn't count them out. Good luck to them.

11. GJacko

GJacko Member

Well, we've got the longest name!!!!

12. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

hehe! good luck to all the competing bands!

Where are you all staying? We are staying at a hotel in Ripon and getting a coach to the venue.

13. JR

JR Member

langfords sinfonietta

I've just realised it's only 10 years since this test piece was used as 3rd section finals (at Cardiff) - won by Yeovil
    ...anyone else find this a bit odd?
    Don't you think we could benefit from a more thorough explanation by the music panel as to how they arrive at these decisions on finals tests?

JR

14. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

I am doing a feature on the finals on our website

www.flixtonband.org.uk

might make interesting reading for some of you :biggrin:

Hope you are all getting excited already - I am :tongue:

15. latham91

latham91 New Member

Hi All,

I'm with Norfolk Wherry - just joined - afraid I can't be very objective about our chances since I haven't played in the 3rd section before (20 years in championship bands previously!!) but think we sound quite reasonable...

good luck to everyone..

16. leisa

leisa Active Member

Flixton, Flixton, Flixton!!!!!!!!

17. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

I'd Keep an eye out for Stape (from the north!!) great band sound and some excellent end chairs, I'll be kicking around on Sat and cheering them on!!

G

18. 1alexm

1alexm Member

We (clifton and lightcliffe brass band) need to win it because the day after the finals the band will be being filmed by the BBC for a three part program about local villages (i think), and if we win, we could say we won on tv... And also because we could show how much better we are than other 3rd section bands.

19. rebecca

rebecca Member

I reckon Beaumaris B could be dangerous if they're on form on the day. They gave a stunning performance in the area and have a very strong band. Good luck! C'mon Wales!

20. leisa

leisa Active Member

oh yeh, ok a little good luck to paul n Beaumaris B but huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge huuuuuuuuuuuuuuger good look to FLIXTON!!! I just cant believe that now i have left u have started winnin things mnaybe i shouldnt go and watch cos i think i might me a jinx!! I will go and watch all the other bands in your section then u should be ok hehe!

anyway c'mon Flixton!!!!