Official National Finals Thread - The Championship Section

Discussion in '2006 National Championships of Great Britain discu' started by brassneck, Oct 24, 2006.

1. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

I would have to agree with that.
    One comment that many did suffer with in terms of overblowing (and this may be purely an acoustic thing based on where I was sitting) was overuse of that weapon of mass destruction aka The Bass Trombone. ;)
    Some serious edge to the sound from many of you that was for me inappropriate. (just my opinion though - at least you were there whilst I wasn't!)

Last edited: Oct 31, 2006
  2. Texus

Texus Member

Wonder if that will work for my lot finishing 18th!!

3. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Only if you weren't drawn 19th or 20th;)

4. Jasper

Jasper Member

Neither did I !!! - lots of superb dynamic contrast with a hell of a sop perf. to boot. Thats why out of the bands I heard .... I had

1. BAYV
    2. Dyke
    3. YBS
    4. Fairey

Gutted I missed the Grimey perf.

Mike

5. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

I have to agree here B.A.Y .V'S performance was a real class act.
    Bob Childs got the band to play with real conviction from start to finish&it would take a very good performance for me to beat them.
    Taking nothing away from the B.A.Y.V performance at all:
    Grimethorpe just had all the right ingredients in the right order when the cake came out of the oven and were worth that extra point clear:clap: .

6. persins

persins Member

I was surprised because I didn't expect their performance to be enough to come third in the contest. I'm not suggesting that they didn't deserve it but didn't think that they brought it to life as much as some of the other performances I heard.

I didn't expect Burry Port to be placed 20th either!

I'm not saying that the adjudicators got it wrong but just that I was surprised by the outcome!

7. persins

persins Member

You could always say that you clearly won the singing contest in the Goat on Saturday evening!!!
    No doubt about that!!!

8. Cantonian

Cantonian Active Member

I agree, Major Parkes was very good, both on the day and in the lead up to the contest.

The Championship section has become like the Football premiership in that some bands have money to pay expenses, ship in players from Europe and/or the Southern hemisphere and generally attract some of the best players.

We, like several other bands 'competing' have no sponsorship so raise our own funds and cut our cloth according to our means. We had quite a few inexperienced members (my only previous test pieces being at the area and Ebbw Vale). We had to be realistic and target 'mid-table' as a good result. Major Parkes was realistic all week. He said that we could not out-blow the big bands so had to make another approach.

We would play the dynamics concentrating on the quiet parts of the piece with graduated controlled dynamics as it was after all a transcription of an orchestral piece. For example at figure 12 the violins would be playing so a fortissimo tremelo would not have to be blown off the copy.

The tempo was important as Major Parkes predicted the fast and loud approach of many bands. The Allegro assai has a tempo of 136 minims.

The whole piece is written in 4/4 or 2/2 so the importance to all sections was stressed that we did not play compound rhythms. Listening to each other, a simple concept, would help in tuning.

Unfortunately with a draw of 13, the styles were already given to the adjudicators before we came on.

The opening is pianissimo and with the bands I heard before and after us, the Solo Horn played at least mezzo piano in the interests of safety. Baritone and Cornet are only at piano and most were mf. I would stick my neck out and say that we were the only band to play the correct dynamics at the beginning!

I heard some super exciting performances which rightly placed bands above us but in several areas the bands played in compound rhythm, many above tempo and most above dynamics.

In our performance, there were nerves shown in some split notes and a few tuning issues and also we did not have a vast dynamic range. However I feel that adjudication should deal with fundamentals such as dynamics, tempo, rhythm and tuning and not knock a band for being too quiet at pianissimo.

I must stress that these are only my views and on a positive note, I really enjoyed my first taste of the Nationals, hearing (and seeing) some outstanding bands and players. I must also express my gratitude to Major Peter Parkes for his hard work, encouragement and obvious disappointment for the band. I and the rest of the band learnt a lot from him!

9. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Update: This weekend I will post the results of the fun tMP Prediction Competition. Apologies for the delay in getting these results up and on display for you all... I am in the USA at present on business and literally choc-a-bloc, but will be back home on the weekend when I can get this all sorted for you.

10. John Brooks

John Brooks Active Member

Carl, any comment? Perhaps highlights from the two Regent Hall concerts plus the winning performance?

11. BottyBurp

BottyBurp Member

You could truthfully say you were 1st.

(from bottom, in very small print) :biggrin:

12. Chris Thomas

Chris Thomas Member

13. iggmeister

iggmeister Member

... and interesting reading they are too!

Igg

14. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- great that Kapitol are making them public as such!

15. Jasper

Jasper Member

....as it appears that none of Messrs Whitham, Read and Relton can tell the difference between an Eb soprano cornet and a Bb cornet !!!

Mike

16. critic

critic Member

I dont seem to have seen them yet .any news?

17. RobertJohn

RobertJohn New Member

?

Did anything happen with this?