Official National Finals Thread - Fourth Section

Discussion in '2006 National Championships of Great Britain discu' started by Di, Jul 25, 2006.

1. Di

Di Active Member

Test Piece : Valerius Variations, Philip Sparke

Adjudicators: David Lancaster & Ian Brownbill

Competing Bands:

SCOTLAND
    Turriff Silver, Frank Cranna - 180 pts
    Bon Accord Silver B, Bruce Wallace - 179 pts

NORTH WEST
    Oldham (Lees), John Collins - 183 pts
    Formby, L. Hough - 181
    Lostock Hall Memorial, P. Edward - 179 pts

YORKSHIRE

Dodworth M.W.Colliery, Elliot Darwin - 186 pts
    Emley Brass, Garry Hallas - 185 pts

NORTH of ENGLAND

Barton Town, M. Bentham - 182 pts
    Barnard Castle, G. Hutchinson - 180 pts

WALES

Llwydcoed, Alan Davies - 180 pts
    Crosskeys Silver, Keri Bowden - 179 pts

L&SC
    Thundersley Brass, K Schroeder - 186 pts
    Waterbeach Brass, J Utting -185 pts
    Hungerford Town, T Crouter - 183 pts
    Watford Band, M France - 182 pts

MIDLANDS
    Wellington (Telford) Brass, S Curtis - 183 pts
    Amington, W Kendrick- 182 pts
    Newstead Youth, P Whyley- 180 pts

WEST OF ENGLAND
    Verwood Concert Brass, D Marshall - 186 pts
    Sidmouth Town, A Harvey - 185 pts
    Wincanton Silver, J Sykes - 184 pts
    Bream Silver, H Cole - 183 pts

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2006
  2. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

I thought 4 went through from the South west? In fact im pretty certain of it cos Pendennis just missed out coming 5th!
    It was Bream wasnt it?

3. Di

Di Active Member

Thank you. Duly added. ;)

4. vcbjet

vcbjet Member

I think the 4th Section has a great peice to work with and I am really looking forward to making the long trip upto Harrogate from Verwood in the West!

We went last year and came 6th, and this year after the winning the areas again we are looking to do even better.

I am aware of some top quality opposition from the rest of the country especially Yorkshire but I've got a feeling the WoE bands could do really well this year in all of the lower sections, c'mmon the West!

5. tam-tam2

tam-tam2 Member

Ok, I know it's early but my support will go to Cross-Keys.:tup Also good luck to my old conductor from Rogerstone, Tim Crouter and his Hungerford Band.:tup

6. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

I'll be supporting Sidmouth all the way! And Bream (who were very enthusiastic when the regional results were read out...!)...and Verwood and Wincanton seeing they're also from the west! And I suppose I should show a bit of support for Emley too, seeing they're a friendly bunch! :)

Hope you all do well!

7. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

Go Emley! I would put some money on Oldham (Lees) putting on a good show for the NW.

8. BrotherBone

BrotherBone Member

Il be there... (hopefully with a friend if i can get them convinced...) to cheer Barny band on =) (although i might not be welcome after changing card before the contest eek!

9. GingerMaestro

GingerMaestro Active Member

I would like to see Bream do well they deserve it but I think Verwood will certainly be there or there abouts

Good Luck to Everyone

10. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

one for the stick waggers????

The tempo markings on the score are in brackets, do you think these may be intended as a guide rather than strict numbers???

11. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

They are a really good guide ;)

12. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

LOL, thanks Philip!! I just wondered because they were in bracets, just in case I miss by a couple of crotchets ;-)

Garry

13. waynefiler

waynefiler Member

There was no real reason to hand in your card at that point, by the end of the contest you would have plenty time to change in time for Pontins with BHK.

If not, i'm up the creek then aren't I, my card is going in after the contest (I feel obliged to do it;) )

14. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

15. i want all ma mates from brass bands to see me in the 4th section final coz then they can all laugh at my pants bass trombone skills! LOL

i aint even seen my part properly yet, going this friday though, quite looking forward to it, hope i can help Lostock Hall to a decent performance and a good result aswell

don't wanna go off topic or owt here but can anyone tell me a bit about formbys quick rise to success?

sounds a bit like garforth's rise in the yorkshire area, do they have any similarity or are they totally different situations?

16. bean in Bb

bean in Bb New Member

hello im hannah second man down in formby i dont know anything about Garforths rise in yorkshire but fill me in and ill let you know if its the same situation ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2006
  17. ashworthdav

ashworthdav New Member

thanks sparkling_quavers am sure we will have a good go

dave flugel player
    oldham band (lees):p :p :p

18. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Well we're in to the last week of preparations now chaps and chapesses!! Hope everyones rehearsals have gone as well as they'd wished, it should be a good show.

Good luck everyone, and come on The Emley!! 'AVE IT!!

19. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Good luck to all the competing bands in the 4th section however I would love to see any of the following do well:

Watford as Cawston's MD is playing for them and it might put him in a good mood!!!
    Waterbeach as Cawston's former MD James Utting is conducting
    But especially Bream as my sister and brother in law are playing for them!

20. DannyCollin

DannyCollin Member

is there going to be a predictions competition this year???