'Official' Brass In Concert thread

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Ginge, Nov 13, 2005.

1. Ginge

Ginge Member

Have been looking around but can't find a list of bands for this years Brass in Concert. In fact i can't find anything on it. Probably just me missin something.
    Anyone know who's playing?
  2. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Here are the bands and draw (courtesy of 4BR)

1. Buy As You View
    2. Sellers International
    3. Reg Vardy
    4. Whitburn
    5. Scottish Co-op
    6. Grimethorpe Colliery (UK Coal)
    7. Mount Charles
    8. Brighouse and Rastrick
    9. Polysteel
    10. Hepworth (Persimmon Homes)
    11. Ransome

Should be a dandy (7 of the top 11 ranked bands)

Mods:Should this possibly relabeld the "Official Brass in Concert Thread" since there isn't one yet?

BBCBass: What a good idea! (dyl)
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2005
  3. critic

critic Member

Cracking entry all top qualitybands new venue' im sure the audience will be in for a Ffantastic days music. Its possible that this could turn out to be the best brass in concert in its long history.
  4. HorniKaz

HorniKaz Supporting Member

Am I being thick?? I can't actually see what the date of the contest is on the site!! :oops:
  5. critic

critic Member

its this coming sunday november20th
  6. Ginge

Ginge Member

7. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

Brass in Concert this year has moved from Spenneymoor to the new Sage Centre in Gateshead.
    This has given us the opportunity to take our cameras to the event for the first time. We aim to have a DVD of highlights ready for the Regionals in 2006.
  8. dyl

dyl Active Member

Excellent! Whilst it's been good to hear a sample of the contest on CD for previous years, you couldn't help but feel that you were missing out by not seeing the visual side to the performances. Look forward to it!
  9. Firm-but-fair

Firm-but-fair New Member

1. Buy As You View
    2. Grimethorpe Colliery (UK Coal)
    3. Brighouse and Rastrick
    4. Scottish Co-op
    5. Reg Vardy
    6. Whitburn
  10. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

1 - Grimethorpe
    2 - BAYV
    3 - Whitburn
    4 - Brighouse
    5 - Hepworth
    6 - Sellers

Dark Horses - Reg Vardy / Scottish Co-op
  11. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I think Grimey is long due for a harsh taste of reality (at the entertainment contest) as they will only be the 4th or 5th best band there on the day.

(and before you ask who...BAYV, Co, Sellers, Whitburn and Brighouse come to mind)
  12. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

On current playing form and having listened to Grimethorpe at the Open etc, I'd say they are up there with BAYV and would be considered the 1st/2nd best band on the day.
    I certainly wouldn't put Whitburn and Sellers above them
  13. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

For once, I have to disagree with you. For me BAYV and Grimethorpe are streets ahead of the rest of the field.

14. Steve

Steve Active Member

On the basis of last two performances Grimey are (apparently) up there in the top 3 bands on the circuit. That coming from both the web sites such as this, people that have years of banding knowledge and heard every band at the open and the nationals and also from players within the band.

Im sure they will be well up there once more, good draw but obviously depends on the programme.

I reckon Ransomes will do well as I worked with Chris Jeans for years on entertainment programmes and nobody does it better. As long as the band are up to it they will figure strongly.

Never predict the result of an entertainments contest though, people who think set test contests can have freak results obviously havent done many entertainments contests :S Will be a great days entertainment though, shame Leicester contest is the same day but I am sure it will be just as much fun
  15. wkt

wkt Member

I was last at Brass in Concert in 1979. I am treating myself again this year (I have attended a few other quality events during the intervening 26 years (and even played at a couple)). In 1979 the winners and runners-up were Grimethorpe and Cory. It's nice to see that they are still the bands most people have in front. I think quite a number of the competitors from that year have either gone or fallen away, some have improved their form and other strong bands have entered the frame. Looking forward to an enjoyable weekend and hoping not to miss a performance.

Wesley Thompson
  16. dyl

dyl Active Member

1. Grimethorpe
    2. Brighouse & Rastrick
    3. BAYV
    4. Reg Vardy
    5. Sellers
    6. Whitburn
  17. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

FULL Results:-

Nigel Boddice: (Music), Goff Richards: (Music), Stan Lippeatt: (Entertainment), Simone Rebello: (Entertainment)

1. Grimethorpe Colliery UK Coal, Richard Evans, 256
    2. Brighouse & Rastrick, James Gourlay, 251.5
    3. Buy As You View Band, Dr Robert Childs, 244.5
    4. Reg Vardy, Ray Farr, 244
    5. Sellers International, Phillip McCann, 243
    6. Whitburn, Andy Duncan, 240
    7. Scottish Co-op, Allan Ramsay, 239
    8. Mount Charles, Nigel Weeks, 238.5
    9. Polysteel (Flowers), Philip Harper, 238
    10. Hepworth Persimmon Homes Band, Mark Bentham, 232
    11. Ransome, Chris Jeans, 231

Best Soloist: Richard Marshall, Grimethorpe Colliery UK Coal
    Best Principal Cornet: Alan Morrison
    Best Soprano: Kevin Crockford, Grimethorpe Colliery UK Coal
    Best Euphonium: David Childs, Buy As You View Band
    Best Percussion: Grimethorpe Colliery UK Coal
    Best March: Scottish Co-op
    Best Entertainment and Presentation: Grimethorpe Colliery UK Coal
    Best Composition/arrangement: Reg Vardy
    Best Music Playing:
    Youngest Player: Ransome, 13

18. zak

zak Member

I really do have to question whether or not you know what you are talking about????????? You are entitled to your opinion but show your lack of understanding and pedigree completely by your opening statement!!!!

19. hahahaha

another classic comment from the knowledgable users of tmp.

*laughs some more*