Odd Question?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by GJG, May 24, 2006.

1. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Sorry about this, but I have to work out some chronology, and with the old memory getting a bit shaky these days, this is the only reference point I can come up with, so:

Can anyone remember in which year Peter Graham's "Dimensions" was the 2nd Section Qualifiers testpiece, please?

2. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

It seems to be 1992, Gareth - found on the Uckfield Concert Brass website, who refer to a recording of their live winning performance at Watford Town Hall ;)
  3. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

OK, thanks, Peter.
  4. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

5. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

I bet Andy and Gareth can't remember who won the third section that year...

6. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Peter you are wrong in one sence but right in another:
    It was first used in 1984 for the 2nd Section Area Contests as i played it at Leicester De Montfort Hall at the Midland Area with Newhall Band conducted by a Ken Grahame band came 11th the adjudicator was David Read.
    But your answer is also correct.:clap:
  7. andywooler

Ian, your memory is better than mine - of course it has been used twice - it was my first ever Regional Contest with what was then Uckfield (Industries) Band. Although it was used in 2 different sections. Unfortunately, they were both called the 2nd section - the former in the days when there was no 1st section. So with pedant hat on, the correct year Gareth is looking for depends on which 2nd section he means - old or new!
  8. andywooler

That would be Runnymede Brass - if memory serves me correct, straightmute played that day rather than conducting them.
  9. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

1992 will do me. In fact what I was trying to work out was how many years I had been conducting Egham - All I could remember for certain was that "Dimensions" was Egham's first qualifiers in the 'new' 2nd section (we were never in the 'old' one) and also the first contest I ever conducted. (not particularly auspicious; as far as I recall we came 12th)

Thanks to everyone for responding anyway.

10. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

Past tense Gareth - surely not!!;):D
  11. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Sorry, my grammatical error!
  12. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

Runnymede is the correct answer, but I was conducting. I never played for them since I was registered with Alder Valley throughout that time. The test piece was Suite for Brass by Jan Segers, my nomination for one of our 'least favourite test pieces'. We were very envious of the bands who had to play Dimensions.

13. andywooler

Should have remembered that - especially as we were their star percussion section at Brighton one year!