Odd Performance Directions

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by BenjaminG1785, Jan 15, 2008.

1. BenjaminG1785

BenjaminG1785 New Member

Have you played a piece which has funny tempo directions etc. like allegro con feuco in the 2008 test piece Four Cities Symphony. If you have share them please!:D
  2. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

It's not "Funny", it's just a well known musical direction.
    "Con Fuoco" means "With fire or Spirit" as per the Finale of Dvoraks "New World" Symphony.
    When I was a "Young Un" I bought myself a paperback musical dictionary.
    It has served me well over the years, in fact I still have it - a good investment for your pennies.
    - Wilkie
  3. BenjaminG1785

BenjaminG1785 New Member

i no its 'not a funny' term its just that not people no what it means so we all start wondering what it means. I have a music dictionary so i knew what it meant.
  4. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Another advantage of having a dictionary is that you can check the correct spelling of words so that, for example, you don't write 'feuco' when you mean 'fuoco'!

I recall Mr Sparke once mentioning that he had come across a piece of music which began with the direction 'piรน mosso'. He didn't say whether it was one of his own....
  5. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Orgoglioso made me laugh when we eventually found out what it meant.

Kudos to anyone who hasn't played "Vectis Isle" who knows what it means!
  6. BenjaminG1785

BenjaminG1785 New Member

it is an actual music term. "piu Mosso" means "more moved"
  7. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

I'm 'proud' to say I know and haven't played the above mentioned piece;)
  8. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Aye, so how on earth can a piece start with that instruction?
  9. BenjaminG1785

BenjaminG1785 New Member

To start a piece with the directions "Piu Mosso" you would take the tempo marking and go a little bit quicker than the given tempo.
    Hope that helps.
    contact me if you have any more queries.
  10. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

:frown:. Thinking of starting a correspondence course on Basic Music theory for young Brass banders!
  11. iggmeister

iggmeister Member

Yes, but more movement from what? If it is the first marking, there is nothing by which you can guage it. Perhaps it was aimed at a certain conductor and was a criticism that he is never fast enough for the composers liking...

12. BenjaminG1785

BenjaminG1785 New Member

what's that supposed to mean?
    (not being mean like)
  13. BenjaminG1785

BenjaminG1785 New Member

yes, you're kind of there. If it just says "piu mosso" at the beginning of the piece, it is a hint to the conductor that usually it is taken to slow, so it hints them to go abit faster than they originally think it would do.
    Hope that helps.
  14. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Arrrrggggh :hammer

So why not just mark the tempo a bit faster in the first place?

Might I suggest that you have a bit of a look round and read a few threads before posting too much more? You give the impression that you are patronising some very knowledgeable and experienced musicians!
  15. BenjaminG1785

BenjaminG1785 New Member

look, i may be 17 but i am grade 8 standard and i do know what i am talking about. I have done GCSE music and currently studying AS music.
    It seems like you are taking advantage of my age!
  16. hicks

hicks Member

Well done, but pui mosso still makes little sense at the start of a piece.
  17. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

I had no idea of your age. You may know what you're talking about but so do many others on here. For instance you told James Yelland "it is an actual music term. "piu Mosso" means "more moved"" - James is extremely knowledgeable about music, especially brass band music, and he most certainly "knows what he is talking about".
  18. BenjaminG1785

BenjaminG1785 New Member

I agree. but also i hold my hands up and say that through the 8 years i have been playing i haven't seen piu mosso at the beginning that often but thats what i was told it meant when i played a piece with piu mosso at the beginning
  19. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

I'm afraid I have to say "....and your point is?"

There are a lot of people around here that can trump that - as you're new to the site you probably won't know who they are - take Andy's advice and chill out....trying to assert yourself against someone who might have a PhD in musicology wouldn't do you any good ;)

At which point I should say the said direction is intended as a relative term....hence has no meaning at the beginning of a piece as it has no context....
  20. BenjaminG1785

BenjaminG1785 New Member

im not bothered what you think about me. im 17 and i aim to teach music to others on the basis of what i have been taught and have learned from other people!