odd noises

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by euphfanhan, Sep 1, 2005.

1. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

I've recently been noticing a few strange noises emitting my instrument and wondered if anyone could help. Since an embrochure change a few months back, when I play middle d's, my instrument starts rattling. I'm not sure whether this is down to me, or something wrong with the instrument, but its very annoying. And even more annoying, when I play a's and b's, I make a really weird growling noise, like I'm playing from the back of my throat. It's easy enough to control if I play quietly, but anything above mf results in a really weird sound. I've no idea how to stop it and any other notes are fine, but it's starting to get on my nerves! Anyone got any suggestions???

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    instrument starts
    weird sound
    middle d
    weird growling noise
    strange noises
  3. sniperjp

sniperjp Member

Is the liar screw loose. because mine was rattling too about a month ago. all mine needed was the liar screw tightening

4. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

Tis a prestige, dunt have a lyre box

5. persins

persins Member

Ooo the temptation to make a facetious comment!!
    I have heard some strange noises coming from our euph players prestige! It seems to resonate on a certain note and creates an almost rattling noise. I have absolutely no idea what caused it or what the fix is so not much help really.
    At least you know, you're not alone!

6. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

Although no-one else could hear it, one of our players reckoned his cornet was making a strange noise.

Then the bell fell off. :eek:

7. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Before making any judgements about the instrument let somebody else play it and see if they get the same noises.

Also you could play someone elses cornet. This will at least tell you if its you or your instrument.

8. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

That's reassuring...!

9. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

And also if I played someone's cornet it most certainly would be me make the weird noises! I'm a euph player ya see...:rolleyes:

10. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

Quote: (Originally Posted on tMP by FlugelD)
    Although no-one else could hear it, one of our players reckoned his cornet was making a strange noise.

Then the bell fell off.

Probably a duff solder joint (where the bell section joins the valves) when the cornet was manufactured, but it hadn't been used much in 2-3 years (i.e. from new) - fairly simple repair for our local 'fixit' magician. (It didn't actually fall off, but became severely detached.... but it sounds better if I say 'fell off' ;) )

But check that everything that should be fixed securely actually is, swap instruments to check it ain't you, and then panic....:confused:

And, if you played the same euph before changing embrochoure, but now it sounds naff - if the euph's OK, it's probably you. Change back?

11. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

Could it be the connection on the joint about halfway down the bell? Sorry to be vague but I'm struggling to word this! I had a mate who's "joint" came loose once, he fixed it temporarily by putting a duster in-between.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    instrument starts
    weird sound
    middle d
    weird growling noise
    strange noises
  13. Vickitorious

Vickitorious Active Member

OK.. the instrument bit.. check that your lead pipe hasn't came away from the instrument itself, because mine did that, and it rattled a lot as well! It doesn't have to have came away a lot from the instrument, just the slightest bit.

14. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Could it not be that a) the instrument is chod and that b) you are blowing too hard? I've known with some instruments that if you are blowing too hard you not only get the obligatory rasping sound but also a rattling sound as if the instrument is going to fall to bits!

15. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have worked out that the rattling noise is definitely my instrument and I have a feeling it might be one of the springs? And after playing baritone at band today, I've also worked out that the growling is definitely me! It seems to be worse on baritone for some reason, but maybe that's because I got so fed up of it I gave up trying to lessen it. Still a blummin nuiscance though.

16. han, my euph was doing that a few weeks ago it was around the same range. Check that the joins are all souldered (spelling?!) properly mind had to be redone!! hanxxx

17. Bazil

Bazil New Member

I had the same problem a few months back, it turned out to be one of the valve springs that wasn't seated correctly on those little rubber washers (4th valve).

18. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Valve springs could well be the cause. Could also be a loose water key (but that usually causes an air leak also). I've had instruments where a bottom valve cap being just ever so slightly loose will cause a resonance rattle on certain tones (not always the ones the make use of the valve in question).

Also, when you changed embouchure did you also change mouthpiece? Perhaps the mouthpiece you're using is not a good match for the lead pipe.

19. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

I don't think it could be the mouthpiece, I have 6, in 3 different sizes and it happens each time. It also happened on baritone, and I tried 2 different sized mouthpieces on that as well.

20. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

i have a prestige too and on the tuning gadget there is a screw that holds it in place and if thats not tight enough it rattles. My one rattles too and even if i do tighten it it doesn't make a difference!

21. Di

Di Active Member

I've posted HERE regarded the throat noises. ;)