Odd habits

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by x..Emma..x, Jul 2, 2008.

1. x..Emma..x

x..Emma..x Member

Apologies if this has been done, but having a laugh at band rehearsel tonight made me wonder, does everyone has a strange little habit when it comes to playing a brass instrument?
    I think mine would have be crossing my legs, a bad one, i know.
    A couple in our band like to play the old rythm,
    *Sniff very loudly-play-sniff-play"
    Bob up and down, trying to keep in tempo.
    Constantly play FFF, well, ok, maybe FF on PP sections.. =]
    Or all of them..

Thought it'd be interesting to find out what other peoples were.
    Emma x

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    FF
    PP
    Bob
    FFF
    band rehearsel
  3. Di B

Di B Member

I know a player who seems to do an eyebrow cadenza whilst playing... Its great to watch! :)
    Mine I think is whenever I have a ff passage I sit right up and lift my euph up. People know Im about to give it some! I did sit in a band where the other euph player had the same habit and it looked quite good to the audience :)

The habit that drives me mad is foot tapping... Usually out of time. Grrrr.....

4. LilMissFlugel

LilMissFlugel Member

when i was a bit younger i used to stand on tipoes to play high notes

5. leisa

leisa Active Member

ooh im a foot tapper, although not as bad as i used to be, i am getting better at not doing it.

Also if i have a long loud high note, generally at the end of a piece i seem to stick my right leg out which is a bit odd, i hadnt noticed it till recently

6. sunny_jimbob

sunny_jimbob Member

Our MD stopped the band the other night and told them to watch my face next time we played. It was a unison part with the solo horn of all things, which was *ouch* ledger lines above the stave. I was turning purple and the whole right side of my face was twitching!

7. yank67

yank67 Member

I am a foot tapper. I think it comes from many years of marching, I have to keep my feet moveing.

My other bad habit is that I play wrong notes all the time:oops:

8. Cornishgal

Cornishgal Member

I've only been back playing a couple of months my lip has had a shock to the system. Over the last few weeks it's gradually coming back but i'm guilty of popping out a few duff notes - getting there tho i'm only human end of the day :p

9. mjwarman

mjwarman Member

I've found myself recently using the wrong fingers for my valves..... Middle finger for 1st, Ring finger for 2nd and little finger for 3rd? I have noticed that my back finger is far quicker now, but if a shock semi quaver passage comes at me with flats in it, I am hardly prepared for that!! I started doing it in hymn tunes to get the fingers working, but find myself doing it quite a lot now without meaning to!!!!

10. mjwarman

mjwarman Member

I'm also a naughty foot tapper, especially when rogue percussionists don't like the tempo.... ;)

11. animal.22

animal.22 Member

There's no such thing as rogue percussionists,it's just you lot don't listen :biggrin:
    In the words of the great Benny Hill "WHY YOU NO WRISTN!!!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    FF
    PP
    Bob
    FFF
    band rehearsel
  13. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

When I try to get a low note in tune, I can't help but close one eye.

14. themusicalrentboy

themusicalrentboy Active Member

whenever there's a wrong note (from me or someone else) apparently I scrunch my face up in disgust :S

15. emziesonic

emziesonic Member

I always...lift my shoulders shoulders really high when trying to get high notes. And when i get into the music...my elbows sort of start lifting :biggrin:

16. themusicalrentboy

themusicalrentboy Active Member

I also go really, REALLY red when trying hard or playing high up and I swear sometimes too loudly if I mess up.

17. sooze booze

sooze booze Member

We ALWAYS listen to you Animal, WE HAVE NO CHOICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :biggrin: Still, you do at least go with the conductor's tempo which is more that I can say for a lot of shedbuilders I've heard over the years!! Keep it up!

18. John15851

John15851 New Member

The most annoying thing I have heard from accross the bandroom is someone counting out loudly, especially if they have different rests to you. **red mist**

19. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

My habits have been part of my playing for so long I can't even remember what they are!!

I do have an inability to stop myself coming out with one liners/ sarcastic comments during practice/concerts. But I think thats a good habit :D

20. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

I hate foot-tappers. Specially when they are not tapping in time with the beat!

If you want to tap your feet go and play kit!

21. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

OY! leave us foot tappers alone!! (just remembered one of my bad {edit} good habits)

22. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

I do the nose sniffing thing, particularly when I have the on beats and someone else has the off beats in something fast, even in bits where I could quite comfortably last a phrase without breathing. Don't know how to stop it.