ODBBA Winter Contest

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by DaveR, Nov 25, 2014.

1. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

The Oxfordshire and District Brass Band Association are pleased to announce that entry forms for the Winter Contest (an own-choice March and Testpiece contest), to be held on March 1st 2015, are now available for download from http://www.odbba.org.

The adjudicator this year is Frank Renton, and this contest provides you with an excellent opportunity to try out your area test piece before the big day! Of course, you don't have to play the area test piece, so if you have a hankering to play your favourite test piece, please come along!

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    ODBBA Winter Contest
    District Brass Band Association
    Testpiece
    Oxfordshire
    Winter Contest
  3. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Just a quick reminder that entries close on January 31st, so there is still time to get your entries in!

4. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

There's now just under a week before entries close, and still we have spaces for a few more bands - especially in the 2nd, 3rd and unregistered sections (although entries from bands in other sections will also be welcome). So don't be shy, get your entries in to me! :)

5. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Nice little contest, this one - placed at the intersection of the London, West, and Midlands regions, an opportunity to see how your area preparation is measuring up against some bands that aren't the usual suspects.

6. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Entries closed last weekend, and we have 21 bands taking part. In no particular order:

Championship

The Medway Band
    Alder Valley Brass
    Newstead Brass
    Kidlington Concert Brass
    Aldbourne

1[SUP]st[/SUP]Section

Epsom & Ewell
    Milton Keynes Brass
    Verwood Concert Brass
    Brunel Brass
    Oddfellows Brass
    Egham Brass

2[SUP]nd[/SUP]Section

Avonbank (Evesham) Brass Band
    Yiewsley and West Drayton

3[SUP]rd[/SUP]Section

Jubilee Brass
    Towcester Studio Brass

4[SUP]th[/SUP]Section

Bletchington Silver Band
    Abbey Brass
    Crystal Palace Band
    Witney Town Band
    Wantage Academy

Unregistered

Yarnton

7. MoominDave

Dave - are you running all national sections separately this year? Or are any combined?

8. LynneW

LynneW Member

Dave, all sections are being run separately except for 4th and Unregistered which is combined

9. MoominDave

Thanks Lynne

10. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

To the best of my knowledge, Egham have withdrawn.

11. cockaigne

cockaigne Member

Have there been any further withdrawals since the changes to the adjudication system proposed by FR?

It's caused some disquiet in the ranks at Epsom & Ewell, though we still look forward to playing at the contest, and supporting ODBBA once again.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    ODBBA Winter Contest
    District Brass Band Association
    Testpiece
    Oxfordshire
    Winter Contest
  13. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

What changes were proposed?

14. cockaigne

cockaigne Member

I'll leave that for the association to answer (at least whilst it's still before the contest has taken place)

15. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

On behalf of ODBBA, please allow me to address some of the comments raised here.

That is correct. Their contest secretary emailed me on the 1st February but the email got lost in the post somewhere, and at the time of my posting the band entries earlier in the thread, I was unaware that they had withdrawn.

The contest was advertised as a closed adjudication event, and it was fully intended to run it as such. However, when informed of the large entry this year (almost double the number of bands have entered this year, compared to the last two years), our appointed adjudicator raised concerns about the difficulties of being a sole adjudicator in a box for the length of time required, and suggested that we consider running the contest as an open contest. Given that the adjudicator is vastly experienced, and as ODBBA likes to consider itself to be a progressive association (we have abolished all forms of registration, for example) we took his concerns on board. Whilst there is a clause in the rules of this contest which allows us to amend the rules when appropriate or necessary, we decided that in this instance we had to consult with the bands to see if they had any objections to us changing to open adjudication. With the exception of Epsom and Ewell Band who raised concerns (but no formal objection), the remainder of the responses received were overwhelmingly positive. We are very grateful for the support of the bands in this matter and this year the contest will be open adjudication. It is anticipated that the contest will revert to closed adjudication next year, although this will be confirmed nearer the time.

At this time, there are no other withdrawals for any reason whatsoever. I am not privy to the reasons for Egham's withdrawal, but as they withdrew on February 1st, and we consulted the bands about the proposed changes on February 6th, we can be certain that these factors are unrelated and that the implied suggestion that this is the reason for Egham's withdrawal is therefore completely false.

16. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Indeed; our withdrawal was caused entirely by difficulties with player availability. FWIW, personally I would have been in favour of open adjudication.

17. cockaigne

cockaigne Member

David - I did not mean to imply that Egham's withdrawal had anything to do with the changes proposed to the system of adjudication, and as this was how you read my question, feel I must apologise for this.

On re-reading my post, I can see how it might have been misconstrued, given that I referred to these two unrelated matters in the same sentence, effectively inferring a link between the two by the way I framed the question posed. Better use of punctuation/syntax on my part could have prevented this.

Under the circumstances, I feel it only right that I apologise publicly for any confusion or offence caused, rather than go back and edit my first post.

I should at this juncture point out that my views and words are (as always on tMP, with the exception of postings on behalf of EESB in the Recruitment Corner) my own, and not those of EESB or any other band with which I am linked at any given time.

May I also add that I have always found ODBBA to be not only a progressive Association, but also an exceptionally friendly one; I have been bringing bands to your contests since 2009, and have always come away having had a good day regardless of the result. Thank you all for your hard work and forward-thinking; long may it continue.

Jack

18. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

No problem - I'm sorry if I misinterpreted what you wrote! We are looking forward to welcoming Epsom and Ewell Band (and all the others, of course!) to the contest on 1st March.

19. cockaigne

cockaigne Member

It's all-too-easily done with text-only communication; I should have proof-read more thoroughly before posting (clearly the first pint of tea hadn't yet worked its magic this morning). No apology necessary on your part, David - I'm just glad no harm was done.

Thanks for your quick response - we're all looking forward to being there; it's great to see entry numbers are increased on previous years (bands are clearly catching on to a 'warm-up' to the Area being a good thing) and the field in Section 1 is particularly strong - should be a healthy tussle on the day :)

20. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Active Member

I think that the event is nearly on us and that the public are (after paying a small fee) welcome to come and listen. It's a bit too far for me to travel to but for others I wonder whether I'm correct and what the timetable for the day is, etc.

21. LynneW

LynneW Member

All spectators are very welcome - The contest is at Marlborough School, Shipton Road, Woodstock, Oxford, OX20 1LP. Adults £4, Concessions £3.

4th/Unregistered section starts 9am, Section 3 starts approx 11.35, Section 2 approx 12.25. Results and prizegiving for morning section is approx 1.15 followed by a short lunch break.
    1st section starts 2pm followed by results, Championship section approx 4.20pm.

Unregistered, 4th, 3rd and 2nd section are playing a march and testpiece. 1st and Championship section are just playing testpiece - all testpieces being played are the area testpieces.

22. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

ODBBA Winter Contest 2015 Results

Section 4 / Unregistered

[TABLE="width: 500"]
    [TR]
    [TD]Band[/TD]
    [TD]Draw[/TD]
    [TD]March Result[/TD]
    [TD]Test Piece Result[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Crystal Palace Band[/TD]
    [TD]1[/TD]
    [TD]1[/TD]
    [TD]1[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Abbey Brass (Abingdon) Band[/TD]
    [TD]2[/TD]
    [TD]6[/TD]
    [TD]6[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Yarnton Band[/TD]
    [TD]3[/TD]
    [TD]5[/TD]
    [TD]5[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Bletchington Silver Band[/TD]
    [TD]4[/TD]
    [TD]4[/TD]
    [TD]4[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Witney Town Band[/TD]
    [TD]5[/TD]
    [TD]3[/TD]
    [TD]3[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Wantage Academy[/TD]
    [TD]6[/TD]
    [TD]2[/TD]
    [TD]2[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

Best Instrumentalist: Percussion Section, Yarnton Band

Section 3

[TR]
    [TD]Band[/TD]
    [TD]Draw[/TD]
    [TD]March Result[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Jubilee Brass (Oxford) Band[/TD]
    [TD]1[/TD]
    [TD]1[/TD]
    [TD]2[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Towcester Studio Brass[/TD]
    [TD]2[/TD]
    [TD]2[/TD]
    [TD]1[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

Best Instrumentalist: Dave Nicholson, Towcester Studio Brass (Solo Cornet)

Section 2

[TR]
    [TD]Band[/TD]
    [TD]Draw[/TD]
    [TD]March Result[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Yiewsley & West Drayton[/TD]
    [TD]1[/TD]
    [TD]1[/TD]
    [TD]1[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Avonbank (Evesham) Brass Band[/TD]
    [TD]2[/TD]
    [TD]2[/TD]
    [TD]2[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

Best Instrumentalist: Paul Horner, Avonbank (Evesham) Brass (Euphonium)

Section 1

[TR]
    [TD]Band[/TD]
    [TD]Draw[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Milton Keynes Brass[/TD]
    [TD]1[/TD]
    [TD]2[/TD]
    [/TR]