ODBBA Entertainment Contest

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by DaveR, Aug 3, 2014.

1. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

The rules and entry form for the forthcoming Oxfordshire and District Brass Band Association Entertainment Contest (October 12th 2014) are now available for download from the ODBBA website. http://www.odbba.org. Closing date for entries is 20th September 2014.
  2. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Active Member

Thanks for the info. I also had a look at the web site and (as I read it) noticed both that the competition is (also) open to bands outside the area and that Kidlington (Championship Section) did a short concert to support the event. Last year the event attracted both lower sections and unregistered bands with each group having their own category (again, as I read it).

It's a bit of a drive for me but are spectators welcome, how much and what's the venue? Will Kidlington or another band be providing a short concert before the results ceremony?
  3. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Spectators are very much welcome! I can't remember the entry price off the top of my head, but it's around £5 for adults. It's held at Marlborough School, Woodstock, Oxford. The concert before the results is still TBC. And yes, bands from outside the area are welcome.
  4. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Kidlington intend to be there, hopefully with somebody to play against this year! I have just had a lightbulb moment, and those in my band will know that these are rare occasions indeed ;)

We will be doing two Entertainment contests in quick succession, Bolsover on the 5th, and ODBBA on the 12th. As these are so close, we will may want to replicate some of the Bolsover programme at ODBBA. When will you be expecting adjudicators' copies of the scores? This may be a problem for us, as we will need them for Bolsover and are reluctant to buy a third copy of each and also reluctant to make illegal copies.
  5. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Duncan, this shouldn't be a problem. Rule 16:

Bands must provide the ODBBA Contest Secretary with a list of the pieces that the band is
    going to play (including composer, arranger and publisher details), along with the name of
    their Soloist by Monday 29th September 2014. Unmarked scores or conductor copies of the
    chosen music for the adjudicator must be given to Contest Control BEFORE the start of the
    section in which the band is competing. Please note that photocopies of scores for the
    adjudicator ARE NOT permitted – originals only.
  6. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Active Member

Having near no experience of contesting I hadn't realised that there was also an 'Open Section' for bands nationally graded 2nd section and above.
    There must be a good number of bands who could do something similar to Kidlington by playing items that they already have well up to 'the mark'. Then its a day out and a chance to hear and meet other players; a placement or win is a bonus but (unless I misunderstood something) taking part and supporting the event is what's most important. Whatever the 'race' I always applaud all those that put in the effort to compete and so make the event.
  7. LynneW

LynneW Member

2nd Tenor, As DaveR has said spectators are very much welcomed. Like all entertainment contests, you can be sure of hearing several bands of all standards playing varied and entertaining music throughout the day. Last year's prices were £4 Adults/£3 concessions so I wouldn't envisage it being much more this year.
  8. LynneW

LynneW Member

There are still places left in all sections. Closing date next Saturday, 20th September.