ODBBA Entertainment Contest 2009

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Nigel Hall, May 27, 2009.

1. Nigel Hall

Nigel Hall Supporting Member

Entry forms and Rules are now available for the Oxfordshire & District Brass Band Association, which will be held at Buford School on Sunday 11th October 2009.

This year the Association is offering prize money of each of the three sections: Open (2nd section and above), Section A (3rd and 4th section) and Youth/Unregistered. Prizes for the Open and Youth/Unregistered section have been generously provided by Virtuosi Instruments (UK) Ltd. There is still an opportunity for businesses to sponsor Section A. The music adjudicator will be Gareth Pritchard

Entries are limited to six bands per section so early entry is encouraged. Entry forms will soon be available to download on the Association website (www.odbba.org) but can also be obtained by either emailing me nigel@mmi-music.co.uk or by PM.
  2. Nigel Hall

Just a quick update. Prizes for the contest are as follows:-

Open Section (2nd Section and Above)

1st: Trophy and £200
    2nd: Trophy and £100
    3rd: Trophy and £50

Trophies for Best Entertainment/Presentation, Best Soloist, Highest Unplaced 2nd Section Band

Section A (3rd/4th Section Bands)

1st: Trophy and £150
    2nd: Trophy and £75
    3rd: Trophy and £50

Trophies for Best Entertainment/Presentation, Best Soloist, Highest Unplaced 4th Section Band

Youth/Unregistered Section

1st: Trophy and voucher for £100 from Virtuosi Instruments
    2nd: Trophy and voucher for £50 from Virtuosi Instruments
    3rd: Trophy and voucher for £40 from MMI Music

Trophies for Best Entertainment/Presentation, Best Soloist
  3. Big Shiny Brass

Big Shiny Brass New Member

Hi Nigel,

We're certainly interested in being there with our trade stand - let me know the details nearer the time!

All the best for now
  4. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

I have suggested to our committee that we should go this year.

Come on Wantage, Kidlington, Chalgrove, Chinnor, etc

If we all go it would become a really competitive contest
  5. LynneW

LynneW Member

It would be nice to see a good turnout, particularly from local bands this year. Hopefully they will come and support the new ODBBA committee, especially as all the details have been published well in advance, which I know from personal experience has been a problem in recent years.
  6. Nigel Hall

Thanks Matt, I have earmarked a stand for you and will be sending out the details to you shortly.

If any other traders here on tMP are interested please contact me asap as we have limited space for Trade Stands.
  7. LynneW

LynneW Member

Come on Oxfordshire Bands. With the closing date getting near we only have 2 Oxfordshire Bands entered. In past years I've often heard local people saying things like "if they offered prize money we'd enter". This year we are being able to offer prize money and still not getting the entries, so personally I'm beginning to see what previous committees of the ODBBA have been battling against. As previously mentioned the contest is open to all bands including unregistered from anywhere in the country, but it would be particularly nice to see some of the local bands supporting the new committee.
  8. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

When is the closing date? We are going to be discussing whether to enter this at our next committee meeting, early in August...
  9. LynneW

LynneW Member

Closing date is Monday 3rd August.
  10. MoominDave

Is that a hard date? The meeting is Wednesday 5th (I think).
  11. Nigel Hall

Hi Dave,

It will be as we have a meeting on the 6th to determine final arrangements and times and the draw will be held on 13th August.
  12. Nigel Hall

This is a last call for entries - the closing date is next Monday (3rd August) and we have a couple of vacancies left in each of the 3 sections.

If you've entered the Wychavon Festival of Brass on 20th September this is an ideal opportunity to give your programme another run out.

Forms can be downloaded from the Association website at www.odbba.org
  13. Nigel Hall

Entries closed on Monday and we are pleased to announce that 15 bands will be competing at Burford on 11th October, they are:

Open Section
    Brackley & District Band (J. Glynn)
    Chinnor Silver (D. Pegram)
    Forest of Dean Brass (J. Gwynne)
    Kidlington Concert Brass (TBC)
    Leicestershire Co-op (G. Jacklin)

Section A
    Avonbank (Evesham) (N. Smith)
    Bletchington Silver (N. Hall)
    Bradwell Silver (B. Keech)
    Jubilee Brass (Oxford) (C. Sadler)
    Watford Band (R. Graves)

Section B
    Abbey Brass (Training) (R. Tompkins)
    Hook Norton Silver (J. Barrie)
    Marsh Gibbon Silver (A. Allcock)
    Wantage Silver Concert Brass (A. Sykes)
    Witney Town (G. Mooney)

The draw for order of play will take place at the Oxford Sea Cadets Hall, Meadow Lane Oxford on Thursday 13th August at 7.30pm
  14. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Just to remind everybody that the contest is this Sunday (11 October) with the first band playing at 9:30am.

The adjudicator will be Mr Gareth Pritchard who will be judging the music in all sections. The Entertainment adjudicators will be Mr Mike Pickett (Section B), Mr David Mann (Section A) and Mr Alan Sykes (Open section).

ODBBA would like to thank Virtuosi Instruments and MMI Music for sponsoring the contest.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me or Nigel Hall
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
  15. bassendworld

bassendworld Member

Good to see 15 bands entered this time around

Wishing everyone a succesful day out
  16. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

In fact, one band unfortunately had to withdraw, but an entry of 14 bands is still going to be a fantastic day of banding! :)

17. MoominDave

Who's withdrawn?
  18. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Brackley withdrew from the Open Section, due to circumstances beyond their control.
  19. MoominDave

That's a pity.
  20. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

Any results yet?