Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by caramelbunny, Dec 21, 2006.

1. caramelbunny

caramelbunny Member

Not long got back from doing the Christmas shopping at the supermarket. At the checkout there were youngsters from a local school bag-packing to raise funds for a school trip. The checkout lady asked me did I want help with my packing and seeing as the lads were there I thought I'd best let them have a go....but it was only seconds and they started to put things in the 'wrong' bags, (despite me specifically categorising the food on the conveyor belt ;) )...it was on the tip of my tongue to say "step away from the bags and I'll double my donation"....I did let them finish, but it got me thinking about how many other 'obsessions' I have :rolleyes:

My friends all know I have a tendancy to be a little neurotic...can't have coffe granules in my sugar, must scrape butter the same way in the dish etc etc......

Was just wondering what obsessions/rituals other people have?
  2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Getting bags packed correctly isn't exactly what you would call an obsession is it? More like common sense and practicality (tinned and heavy goods to bottom and perishable and soft goods to top). If you were to make sure every coin you handed over was nice and shiny then I would be a little concerned. :rolleyes:
  3. Di

Di Active Member

You're not alone there Ms Bunny. There's a thread of a similar vein here with a few confessions of compulsive disorders. ;)

I know what you mean about the shopping though. I like my bags all ordered .... fridge food, freezer food, delicates, etc.
  4. BigDave2006

BigDave2006 New Member

Well i have a complusion to clean, say for instance if i walk into some ones kitchen and even if i havent been cooking or eating i feel compelled to clean any dirty dishes and maybe mop the floor. This also applies to other areas of the house, the living room is one, i cannot sit in a room with dirty cups and plates i have to take them into the kitchen and wash them, and i cant use a scummy sink to wash/shave, if it is scummy i have to clear every thing off and give it some mr muscle. Though Im sure most people wouldnt mind asking me round to tea in the knowledge i would do their dishes if they didnt LOL :tup
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2006
  5. caramelbunny

caramelbunny Member

That's exactly it, makes unpacking the other end so much easier if there is 1 bag for the fridge, 1 for freezer etc :D ...I've not advanced to the 'collecting' stage like those with the box-sets from other thread....maybe that is yet to come :rolleyes:

And you're welcome to come clean at our student residence anytime Dave ;)
  6. gawber

gawber Active Member

I also put my shopping on the conveyor belt the way I want it packed into my bags. It's so much easier to unpack and put away when I get home.

I always hang my washing on the line in size order and colour co-ordinate the pegs. (Nothing wrong with that is there?)
  7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- I think most people do the first action. For the second one, what would happen if a friend or one of the family helped hanging out your washing but didn't bother which order they were done? Would you change it back to what you would prefer or leave it? :confused:
  8. gawber

gawber Active Member

I am afraid this has happened. I was ill and resting, my mum hung the washing out for me and I had to sit with my back to the window so I couldn't see it.
    When I go to my sisters I have to rearrange her washing.

At my last address I used to love it when it rained and my neighbour was out so I could bring her washing in and then re-hang it when it stopped raining. I couldn't stand the way she hung her washing out. :oops:
  9. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- any idea why you do this or when it started?
  10. gawber

gawber Active Member

I like to see the clothes looking neat. I have always done it. My sister will hang a sock then a pair of jeans then a tea-towel then another sock etc and it just looks a mess.

I also have all the hangers in my wardrobe facing the same way and I colour co-ordinate my husband's shirts so all the blues hang together / greens together / whites etc in his wardrobe.
  11. Magico

Magico New Member

I colour co-ordinate the things in my wardrobe, I put all the trousers together in colour order, then all the tops together in colour order, I thought that was just normal though!!!
  12. gawber

gawber Active Member

it is!........................................isn't it?
  13. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Nothing much to be concerned about ... people can be very particular about how they like to have things and stick to these standards. :)
  14. Key2207

Key2207 Member

I can't sit in a room if the door is open. It has to be shut!!
  15. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

All my CDs and music has to be in order, that's about it for me.

Agree with Coffee granules in Sugar but don't think that's obsessive....coffee tastes horrible on cornflakes!!
  16. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

I'm really funny for things being straight... like if a poster isn't straight, I will straighten it... little things like that... also have to have everything on my desk in exactly the right places :tongue:

I'm another person who likes to have all hangers facing the same way in the wardrobe... and I'm the same with washing on the line to a degree! I don't do it in exact size order... but all socks go together, all t shirts go together, all trousers go together etc.

My housemates at uni continually ask me if I have OCD... I clean the kitchen everytime I go into cook... because otherwise its not hygeinic! I've been known to spend almost an hour cleaning before I cook! I also like the kitchen to be clean for when the cleaners come on Fridays :tongue: so that its easy for them to do their job :tongue:

I also clean the shower before and after I use it (basically rinse it over with showerhead) buts thats probably just because I live in a shared house!
  17. Ruthless

Ruthless Member

I'm another "must have the shopping in the right bags" sort of person. My hubbie puts things in the wrong bags just to wind me up!!

I also like things to be used in a tidy order eg stamps, rawl plugs and grouting spacers. They need to be used in a straight line to keep everything tidy. I've told my hubbie off for using a stamp from the middle of a book when he should use them from the end. Again he will take a spacer or plug from the middle of the pack just to get me going...........

Those who know me will know that this is really stange as I am not tidy in any other way and if left to my own devices things would be extremely messy (although not unclean - there is a difference)
  18. Vickitorious

Vickitorious Active Member

Mumsie has a reeeally annoying one!

Yes, it might be good for the environment.. but taking it a bit too far..

She sits there, pulling all the tape off of the wrapping paper from the presents on xmas day! And she sits right next to me.. and all I could hear allll morning was scrunching paper in my ears!

You don't have a clue how annoying it is!

Sorry mum! :biggrin:
  19. Vickitorious

Vickitorious Active Member

I don't like seeing sockets on the wall turned on!

I HAVE to turn it off! It scares me!
  20. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

Nope I am a perfectly normal messy kind of person. Except when theres washing up stuff piled on the counter or in the sink I keep wanting to wash it up :| I never used to do that and it's annoying. Also when someone says 'touch wood' I have to touch my head three times which makes no sense cause my head isn't even made of wood.