Obituary

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by JessopSmythe, Sep 6, 2007.

1. JessopSmythe

JessopSmythe Active Member

Obituary
    Common Sense

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has
    been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was since his
    birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape.
    He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as knowing
    when to come in out of the rain, why the early bird gets the worm, life
    isn't always fair, and maybe it was my fault.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more
    than you earn) and reliable parenting strategies (adults, not children are
    in charge).

His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well intentioned but
    overbearing regulations were set in place. Reports of a six-year-old boy
    charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from
    school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding
    an unruly student, only
    worsened his condition.

Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job
    they themselves failed to do in disciplining their unruly children. It
    declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to
    administer Aspirin, sun lotion or a Bandaid to a student, but could not
    inform the parents when a
    student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Common Sense lost the will to live as the Ten Commandments became
    contraband; churches became businesses; and criminals received better
    treatment than their victims. Common Sense took a beating when you couldn't
    defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar can sue you
    for assault.

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to
    realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her
    lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents, Truth and Trust; his
    wife, Discretion; his daughter, Responsibility; and his son, Reason. He is
    survived by three stepbrothers; I Know my Rights, Someone Else is to Blame,
    and I'm a Victim.

Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone. If you
    still remember him, pass this on. If not, join the majority and do nothing.

2. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

Well Said! :clap:
    All this political correctness is pure bull and needs to stop before it gets out of control.
    Soon you will be sued for saying "Hello" in the street or "Thank-you" when someone holds a door for you

Shocking

3. ekimmort

ekimmort Member

Very True

4. Robhibberd29

Robhibberd29 Active Member

A sad sign of the times, the world's gone mad.

5. floppymute

floppymute Member

Amen!:clap:
    Succinctly put.
    Could I suggest you send a copy of your post to all the political party leaders and the major press editors - it just may give at least some of them a wake-up call.

6. Bungle

Bungle Member

I have heard that some women don't like having doors held open for them by a man, as they take it as an indication they are not capable or strong enough to do it themselves. It's all gone a bit mad :rolleyes:

7. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

Prosecution for using your manners :frown:

8. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

I once gave up my seat for a lady on the tube, thinking I was doing my mum proud and keeping with the Clarke tradition of chivalry only to be met by a face like thunder and the question "are you saying I'm old?"

Now, unfortunately I will only offer my seat to someone obviously disabled or heavily pregnant (and even that's a risky judgement to make).:confused:

9. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Agree with virtually everything you've said, but have to object to these. Its up to a pupil whether they tell their parents if they are pregnant not the teacher, and the decision about an abortion is their's not their parents or teachers. If a pupil came to me in that situation I would strongly advise them to tell their parents, but I certainly wouldn't ring up their parents against their wishes. What you said about plasters etc is true though, unfortunatly.

As for the Ten Commandments, I, and I'm sure everybody agrees with the principle of them, murder, adultery, etc are bad, but I don't like the connecting them with a religion. I think these things are wrong because I do, not because it says in a book that moses was told to write these things by a god who isn't proven to exist.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2007
  10. Morghoven

Morghoven Member

It's fine to separate the moral principles from any particular religion if you wish to, especially since just about every religion/philosophy has them as basic 'ground rules' if you like. But it's impossible to have the Ten Commandments without either Christianity or Judaism (Exodus is common to both scriptures) because they are a particular thing, and a particular part of the Bible/Torah.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Common Sense
    Obituary ObituaryCommon SenseToday
    parents
    stepbrothers
    businesses
  12. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Agreed, but they should be taught purely as the moral principles, they aren't any more valid because they supposedly come from a god.

13. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

I'm not a religious person but I have to disagree here... the ten commandments came from the bible so why should you disassociate them? What are you afraid of?

14. Robhibberd29

Robhibberd29 Active Member

Retribution!!!

15. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Religion claiming that ideas like not killing, not stealing, not commiting adultery etc are uniquely their's and therefore that religion is the only way to morality. Obviously if people are studying the bible they should learn about the Ten commandments, but it should also be made clear to them that christianity is not the sole source of ethics in the world.

16. Morghoven

Morghoven Member

It depends what you mean by studying. In a purely academic sense - yes. Christianity is not the only religion. But in a church-based setting? That's different.

However, that's not the same as trying to separate the Ten Commandments from the Bible. That's like saying "I agree with that poem about daffodils, but not with Wordsworth writing it. So I'll keep the poem but ignore Wordsworth". Other poets probably have written poems about daffodils; but you can't have 'fluttering and dancing in the breeze' without Wordsworth!

17. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

I'm not separating the ten commandments from the bible, just the ideas contained within them. Also I would hope in a church based setting there wouldn't be the attitude of we're the only people in the world who have these morals.

18. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

I think you would insult a person's intelligence suggesting that would need to be made clear.

If what you are saying is there should be balanced objective education then I couldn't possibly disagree but why take Christianity out of the ten commandments? Are we verging on another political correctness where we can't have one moral teaching for fear of giving another moral teaching a diservice?