Obituary - Ernie Wedgwood

Discussion in 'Obituaries - Unregistered visitors can post here' started by Smooth and Sop'histicated, Feb 15, 2011.

1. It is with great sadness I have to announce the death of my father Ernie Wedgwood, aged 90. One of the foremost soprano players of his generation, he was a life long bandsman who continued playing and supporting the brass band movement until just a few weeks ago.

Ernie’s career started with the Silverdale Band but at the age of 19 Harry Mortimer invited him to the Fairey Aviation works band on repiano. He took over as soprano player the following year, just a few weeks before the National Finals at the Albert Hall. He stayed at Faireys for some 13 years before moving to Ferodo and later Clayton Aniline works bands, in a career which featured numerous National and Open titles, recordings, broadcasts and tours.

When he stepped down from playing at the highest level he began a very successful conducting career, firstly with the Reddish band and then for over 20 years with the Christ Church Silver band in Manchester. The last 20 years of his working life were spent as a dedicated brass teacher inspiring hundreds of young people, many of whom still play with some of the top bands and orchestras in the country. He also conducted youth bands in both Yorkshire and Lancashire.

In the latter years of his life he retained his love of playing soprano, still practising at least an hour a day and playing for the Salvation Army Fellowship Band.

His funeral will take place on Wednesday 16th February at 10:30, at Dewsbury Crematorium. Ever the pragmatist he wanted no flowers, preferring donations to be made to the Salvation Army or the PDSA. Similarly he would not have wanted those who knew him to grieve at his passing, but rather to celebrate a wonderful man and a wonderful life in banding.

Owen Wedgwood
  2. tat

tat Member

Sorry to hear of your loss Owen, Ernie was indeed a great man and a true Gent, I'll let the band know tonight.
  3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Hello Owen,
    We are sorry to hear of your loss.
    Our thoughts are with you at this sad time.

Kind Regards
    Pete and family.
  4. AmandaD

AmandaD Member

I knew your father some years ago, he was a wonderful man and will be missed.

My thoughts are with you at this time.

5. Dave A

Dave A Guest

Ernie Wedgewood R.I.P.

I knew your lovely Dad for over 50 years. He encouraged me to play as a 10 year old child and invited me to Reddish Band where he conducted. Later he was a cornet tutor at the NWAYBB where our paths happily crossed again.
    When my little girl wanted to learn to play, I looked up your Dad again, and took her to his band in East Manchester, knowing that she would be cared for and encouraged. He got her to rehearsals 30 minutes early and generously gave her 1 to 1 lessons and helped her improve all aspects of her playing.
    I didn't see your Dad for a few years but then he turned up at Dyke rehearsals where he loved to sit and listen, always behind the sop player with a beaming smile.
    My little girl grew up to play cornet for Dyke and has never forgotten your Dad, or his kind teaching, and would always ask me how he was.
    So many people were influenced by his kindness and love of brass playing, whether it was beginners classes or great playing, and I am only sorry that business commitments overseas prevented me paying my respects on Wednesday last.
    This has been a sad few months for me with Maurice, Jim and now your Dad passing, all great influences on current players.
    From Claire and I, Farewell and thanks Ernie.
  6. barrytone

barrytone Member

So sorry to hear this sad news Owen, all our thoughts are with you at this sad time,

Fran, Cate and family xxx