Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by DublinBass, Oct 10, 2009.

1. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Just like olympic host cities have promotional videos, HERE is the one that got Obama the Nobel Prize...
  2. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

When I heard the news of President Obama's award yesterday, I was reminded of the great Tom Lehrer's comment that satire finally became extinct when Henry Kissinger was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize (back in the 1970s). Apparently it wasn't quite dead...but is now!
  3. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Nothing against the man, as I feel he has the potential to achieve a lot, but it does seem a mite premature.
  4. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

It might just prevent him from starting a war - he wouldn't want to hand it back !!!
  5. MrsDoyle

MrsDoyle Supporting Member

Much too early. That's like giving me the Nobel Peace Prize for helping an elderly person across the road.
  6. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

He has done NOTHING to deserve this at all. How can the Peace prize go to the leader of a country that has troops actively fighting in two countries? And one that is getting ready to increase the number of troops in one of those countries?

He hasn't even done anything to accelerate the withdrawal from Iraq, the plans that are being used were put in place before he was inaugurated.

A lot of the pundits over here are saying things like "this is really an award for all Americans". Can I give my part back? Because we don't deserve it, either.
  7. MrsDoyle

MrsDoyle Supporting Member

Well said. :)
  8. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

maybe it's a "preventive award"? Now that he's got the peace price, he can't start another war...
    Maybe they should have given George W. the peace price after his first year in office too...
  9. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

Apparently, when the nominations closed, he had only been in office for two weeks. I'm not saying anything about the man himself, but this recognition is just wrong for many reasons, but, in my opinion, primarily because he hasn't been in office long enough to accomplish anything yet.