NZ Army Band

Discussion in ' User Reviews' started by 1st Position, Aug 31, 2006.

1. 1st Position

1st Position Member

Anybody see the highlights of this years Edinburgh Tattoo on BBC1, last Saturday. A couple of interesting appearances including the New Zealand Army Band. Certainly performed an entertaining programme, I mean how many bands these days even attempt to play William Tell, never mind running onto the arena whilst playing it! Basically a brass band, but using sousaphones instead of basses. The haka was quite novel as well. :clap: :clap:

The Top Secret Drum Corps also were quite entertaining. Both these groups did something just a bit special to win over the audience, perhaps we could pinch some of their ideas to see if it helps retain and increase our audiences.

Best of all about these two bagpipes!:)
  2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

They were my two highlights from this years programme as well ... I can just imagine one of our top bands emulating the band ... or maybe not!
  3. ratley

ratley Member

Best of all about these two bagpipes!:)[/quote]

I have suggested that my band has a go at 'Soul Bossa' and 'The Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy' at the next SCABA entertainments contest. Haven't spoken to the basses yet though.....
  4. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

I also saw them at the Tattoo - they were breathtaking. A fifteen minute programme, played from memory to accompany a slick, choreographed show, much more than simply 'marching'. And from start to finish they sounded great too (although one of the tuba players was particularly enthusiastic leading to balance problems).

And my 'lowlight' was the Coldstreams playing 'Sing, Sing, Sing' - it just didn't work for me.

5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I was gobsmacked by the routine of the Swiss Secret Drumming Corps. They had so much to remember in that space of time.

post-edit:- actual performances can be accessed here. Just click on BBC coverage 'watch highlights' and choose which one you want to see again!

:oops: ... I was there at the time of the tattoo as well, but wrong time of day ...

Last edited: Aug 31, 2006