NYO!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Naomi McFadyen, Aug 7, 2004.

1. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

I just wanted to give a shout out to the National Youth Orchestra who a little earlier played Mahlers Symphony number 1, just shown on BBC2 as part of the Proms... It was fantastic!
    Well done to all 150 youth players!! :D Especially our own Ben Thomson, Eb bass at Leyland!

:D

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    part
    little
    Mahlers Symphony
    bass
    :D
  3. choirmaster

choirmaster Member

yes. Some fantastic playing going on there. The concept of playing non vib throughout the orchestra was interesting, even though it took me some time to get used to it.

4. drummerboy

drummerboy Member

And I have to say, some not so fantastic playing also. On the whole good, but not as good as thought it was going to be. Maybe it's just me though... :oops:

5. BassoProfundo

BassoProfundo Member

Was very impressed by the trumpets they did a fantastic job.

Not doing vibrato was a mistake - exposed the intonation in the strings.

6. jameshowell

jameshowell Active Member

I'll second that, I thought they were good too, especially since a couple of them diodn't look that old!

7. Brassbones

Brassbones Member

It was most impressive. Usual nightmare horn parts in Mahler symphonies and Norrington didnt help playing the last movement so bloody fast!!! But well done to all :lol:

8. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

I'm still recovering from seeing Dougie Murdoch feature on national telly!

He's not done too bad for a lad that started on 2nd Horn in Ovington Tynedale...

9. twigglet

twigglet Member

I did flick over and got a bit excited saying 'oooo look there is big underscore ben thomson!!'. I'm sorry Ben, that will always be your name to me...

Was very impressive though, even if there was an army of violins!

10. kate_the_horn

kate_the_horn New Member

makes the small "gang" of cornets, the brass band movement have seen rather insignificant!!

lol

kell x