Nyc

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by sugarandspice, Jan 18, 2007.

1. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

Right then peeps!

I'm going to be in New York City for a week while i'm in the states and starting to think about what we definately want to see while we are over there!

Suggestions please!

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Nyc Right
    New York City
    week
    states
    Nyc
  3. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Would really suggest you get a Circle Line Boat from their jetty on the Hudson River near the end of 42nd street.

Take the Island Circle trip it takes you all the way round the island of Manhattan and also out to the Statue of Liberty.

A walk through Central Park is a must.

Also worth a visit is the Tourist Info Office in Times Square.

Times Square at night

Statue of Liberty

Empire State Building

Guggenheim Museum

The Ferry to Staten Island for great views of the Manhattan skyline

Its a great city just do what you want and enjoy!

4. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

You don't say when you'll be there but this might work for you:

January 26, 2007

120th Anniversary Concert

Special Guest Soloist

Brett Baker

Principal Trombone of the World Famous Black Dyke Band, UK.

Centennial Memorial Temple

120 W 14th St

NYC

7:25 pm

You might also check out shows currently playing on Broadway and take a horse and buggy ride to or from Times Square.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2007
  5. tam-tam2

tam-tam2 Member

I personally would get out of New York for a day or two midweek and go to Killington, Vermont.......learn to ski!!:tup

6. sugarandspice

I dont really fancy skiing!

However next question-

Boston or Washington for a couple of days- opinions please?!

7. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Not been to Washington so cannot comment.

However spent 5 fantastic days in Boston.

Its a really friendly city and easy to get around.

Many places to visit including New England Aquarium, The Bull & Finch Bar (Cheers), Fanueil Hall, Quincy Market Place, Harvard University.

Would choose Boston but as I say have not visited Washington.

8. horn-girlie

horn-girlie Member

oooh I'm so jealous! went on a tour round the states 4years ago (i think?) and it was amazing! Never went to Boston, but Washington was great! That was probably the best band tour I've been on - we were based in Philedelphia, but travelled around to all the normal 'touristy' places. Was fantastic!
    I know they may sound like two of the obvious ones, but the statue of liberty and the empire state building are a must!

9. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

I found the Empire State Building a bit of a disappointment. The view is great ofcourse but it took us nearly 2 hours from buying the tickets to getting to the top. When we did get to the top it was packed and little room to move around and look properly.

The next day we went to the up the Rockerfeller Centre ("Top of the Rock") which we got up in less than 20 minutes. The view of the Empire State Building from there was awesome and just a better experience as a whole.

I would recommend seeing a Broadway show - great fun spilling out into Times Square afterwards on a busy Saturday night too!

For something a little different - why not take a tour of the Lincoln Center? It's one of NYC's main music centres. The New York Opera are there, Wynton Marsalis Band, New York Philharmonic etc. We missed a tour on our last day and the guide took us on a personal tour....was great.

10. horn-girlie

horn-girlie Member

I think you can pre-book tickets for the empire state building, which speeds things up a lot! there were 30 or so of us in our group, and we hardly had to wait around for long at all

11. John Brooks

I've been to and enjoyed both and they are excellent choices; it will be difficult to choose. Both cities have their own attraction and are easily accessible from NYC via train or bus and are almost equidistant (243 miles to Washington; 216 to Boston). It will come down to personal choice I think, depending on your own tastes and preferences. If you like museums for example, Washington has the Smithsonian. Then there are the other more obvious sites such as the White House; Arlington Cemetery; the Presidential Monuments etc.

The main attractions in Boston have already been mentioned.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Nyc Right
    New York City
    week
    states
    Nyc
  13. sugarandspice

I really want to see a broadway show while i'm there.

right, this might seem like a bit of a stupid question but the internet isn't helping- i watched madagascar at the weekend- is there really a zoo in central park? and is it likely to have a real giraffe in it?!

14. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

I prebooked mine which took me past the initial ticket que only - perhaps I just went at a very busy time.

15. Bogtrotter

Bogtrotter Member

Don't bother with the Empire state its a tip and the people there are horrible! The Rockerfeller centre is an absolute must though and you can take pictures of the ESB from it, and you get a great view of central park!

Recommend a Gray line bus tour (they are red though!)...there are three, south, mid town and upper (Harlem etc.) we did all three - its cool!

Schwartz's toy store, Roxy's Deli on Times Square and central station are also a must. By far the best shop is Bloomingdales...didn't like Macy's.

:)

16. John Brooks

Did you try here?: http://nyzoosandaquarium.com/

17. Bogtrotter

Bogtrotter Member

That's right, but its being renovated inside, has a tiny viewing area and is still cr*p. The Rockerfeller experience is much better and cost effective. The Staten Island ferry that goes past the SL is free by the way!

18. sugarandspice

Still can't find a proper giraffe on there tho!

But i have found- http://www.hotelgiraffe.com/index.asp

How cool!! For the record i would like it to be known that that would be one of the best presents in the world if anyone would like to take me! (apart from going to africa to see a real giraffe!)

19. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Boston is a great place to visit and a Whale Watching trip from the harbour is well worth the trip alone. As for New York, HATE IT! Will never go there again, the most over rated city on the planet.

20. Andy Moore

Andy Moore Member

Ground Zero. Phenominally surreal.

21. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

How very disappointing! I was expecting a Giraffe themed hotel! Are you another Giff nut? we have one in my house! Ooooh if you go to home direct they have MASSIVE Melman's and there's only about £12 or something! :tongue:

I've never been to America... for that matter... I've never been on an aeroplane! I have a friend who used to live in New York though... and she says its amazing.... so I'm sure you'll have a wicked time!

Oh and on the Central Park Zoo website.. it says they have everything from Ants to Polar Bears.... so surely that includes Giraffes?

22. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Perhaps it's only got a low roof. ;)