Nybbs

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by groovy, Jul 4, 2005.

1. groovy

groovy Active Member

This is the first year I have applied for NYBBS and got my letter about the course today! I'm very excited now in a Vickitorious kind of way! :bounce :bounce :bounce
    Are any other tMPers going?

2. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

Good stuff Groovy! :tup :clap:

You'll totally enjoy it, I thot it was one of the best things in the year and was my summer hols for many years!! I did 10 years of NYBBS courses, made many new friends, had many drinks and have so many brilliant memories!!

Think there will be the usual bus load from Campbeltown travelling to St Andrews this year, wont manage the concert this year, as will be in USA with YABB, but Im sure it will be great as usual!

Just wish Neil Cross would believe I was under 21 and could go again!! :rolleyes:

3. Vickitorious

Vickitorious Active Member

LOL! Thats the way! :wink: :rolleyes: hahaha!

Awww wow! i'm sure you'll have a great time!! :biggrin: :biggrin:

4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I heard through the grapevine that this year it is going to be an Andy Duncan spectacular ... with him conducting all of his stuff. Any confirmations?

5. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

All of his stuff? My goodness, what a long concert that'll be!
    Wish I was still young enough to go to NYBBS, what a laugh it was. INTE!! Whoops!

6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

:redface: .... what I meant was that he will be conducting all penned numbers that is selected to be played. But supposedly quite a few are getting aired!

7. Suz

Suz Member

Hey Willie, I am sure I was on some of the same courses as you?? I was Mark Boyd's partner in crime for many years!! NYBBS was great! Really enjoyed all the courses, and before Lauradoll gets in, yes they were my indoor fireworks but I didn't set them off!!!!!!

Nice to see you are still playing.

Suz xx

8. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

Yeah you were, I was the wee red-haired lad on tuba, who liked Vodka and had a passion for climbing the flagpole outside the halls, also Richard Evans always made me stand on my chair alot!!

Cant remember who set off the fireworks tho! (not guilty, before you ask!) Do you remember the Karaoke at Bearsden and all the other informal concerts we did, what a rite laugh!!

I often catch up with Boydy and some of the other crew at contests and I think I saw you at the Scottish Open last year from a distance, good to see that your doing well!!

9. groovy

groovy Active Member

Bit be belated but just to let you know that NYBBS was fandabbydosey!! We had Andrew Duncan as guest conductor and played some of his arrangements which was fantastic. The Phantom Menace was a brilliant finale! Richard Evans is a legend too, fantastic guy, great conductor and musician and a great laugh too, had a few people on their chairs! The highlight of the concert had to be Duet for Two Cats, complete with elaborate choreography. As for the rest of the week, well, the drunken bellydancing at the infomal concert would be hard to beat!

10. eilo15

eilo15 New Member

Hey there!

I was at NYBBS as well. It was my first year in the big band, got promoted from wee nybbs last year. Andy Duncan was absolutely amazing. His pieces were fantastic, and so were his jokes.....!
    The best part of the concert for me had to be Hymn To The Fallen. We had a choir singing with the band! Incredible.
    Made loads of new friends there as well (including you groovy!) and got third euph, which is pretty good, so I learned loads!
    Big hi to all that were there, and also to Willie! You got the chair treatment? Thought you'd be a wee angel!

Eilidh Brian
    Euphonium
    Campbeltown Brass

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Vickitorious
    Nybbs
    bounce
    Vickitorious kind of way
    letter
  12. bexy

bexy New Member

the week was amazin. i'll never forget it.

it was my 2nd year in big nybbs. being top flug made it dead scary but i learned loads.

andrew duncan was great to work with and richard evans was fantastic. im reading his book right now. such a funny guy. It was great working with leslie howie again too.

belly dancin was hilarious!! Nice hips craig!! ;) lol. dont worry pal. i deleted the video.

i cant wait til next year.

Bex

13. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

Isn't it just! We did it too at TYB, with the TYC singing, sounded fantastic! Whose arrangment did you use? Ours was done by John Meredith, a leader within the band...

14. eilo15

eilo15 New Member

Sorry I don't know which arrangement it was exactly! we had 16 singers in all. they were just volunteers from the band itself, but they were absolutely incredible. hardly had any rehearsal either.

Have to say that the obvious audience pleasers were 'Duet For Two Cats' where we had our principle cornet and trombone on stage with choreography and all (!) and Andy Duncan's arrangement of the music from star wars, 'A Phantom Meanace Suite' went down a storm too.
    Did any tMP users see the concert?