NYBBGB Audition

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by big_benthomson, Oct 31, 2003.

1. is anyone at the NYBB Salford auditions on sat.8th nov?
    cu there

2. aimee_euph

aimee_euph Member

my mate amy is

3. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

as are a few more from here, think lynchie is isn't he? and leisa is, why don't we set up a tMP corner!

4. leisa

leisa Active Member

im there!!!!! ooooh we should make a sign whts every1 playin?? im playin Kim!! good luck to u all!!! would be gr8 if we all got in we could convert thwem to TMP-ers!!!

5. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

I've got mine on this Sunday 2nd November in Leicester. Anyone going there?

6. Vickitorious

Vickitorious Active Member

my m8s going there good luck 2 u all!!!!!! :D

7. Railybobs

Railybobs Member

Does Roy Newsome still have anything to do with the band?

8. leisa said:
    im playin 'selected extracts' from the Gregson. probably the whole of the 2nd mvt so they watch and laugh as my lips fall off

9. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

Dublin's Fair City by Roy Newsome- get a Rumba section at the end :lol:

10. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Did the 3rd movement of that for one of my seating auditions. Easter '95, I think. Something different for John Maines, anyway!

Dave

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    NYBB Salford
    NYBBGB Audition
    NYBB Salford auditions
    th nov
    cu
  12. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

ahhh, Mr Maines rocks! he's a good guy in a bad world!

13. bassinthebathroom

bassinthebathroom Active Member

Might just wander in if I don't fancy watching the football at the pub - the Department's closer than the pub, so if it starts to rain, I might take refuge!
    :)

14. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

I played 'Introduction and Burlesque' by 'Robert Eaves' (Edward Gregson), a pretty standard bass trom solo to be honest, and it did the trick!

key to auditions, practice your scales, they will come up, with at least one minor scale!

15. MoominDave

Yeah - Norman Law asked me for concert Gb major, two octaves; you have been warned, Bass Troms!!

Dave

16. philip biggs told me any scales with up to 4 flats or sharps may be required

17. MoominDave

That's the same info I had. Not that it was a problem, though - a major scale is a major scale no matter where you start from.
    I suspect they bias it by two flats (i.e. concert pitch 6 flats to 2 sharps) for Bass Troms.

While we're here, there was something that struck me as rather odd at the time - the stated minimum audition requirements for the NYBB seemed, and presumably still seem, a long way below the standard of the band - the quoted value was "of Grade 5 or equivalent standard", which was/is ridiculous - someone of that standard wouldn't make it into a tenth-string band, if the organisation were expanded that far.
    I suspect the answer is that, as many band-educated young players have little or nothing to do with the grade system, the grades are treated with an undue respect - I know some excellent band players without grades, and some markedly inferior players with good scores even at Grade 8.

Similarly, the emphasis in band teaching is very often put on "doing", not "thinking" - my comfort with scales came originally from Piano lessons; they were never touched upon at band or at all seriously in lessons with 'bandy' teachers. To say that the far scales are too hard to ask of auditionees for a National Youth organisation - and especially one with as high standards as the NYBB - seems astonishing at first glance, and I think highlights the need for a little bit more theory training in bands than most people musically raised in them get.

Dave

18. twigglet

twigglet Member

Good luck with your auditions, when I was in it a year or so ago the formation was this.....

Play piece

Quick scale and chromatic

Sight reading

I was sooo scared in mine, hope you get in though, I only did two courses because I was on the back row and didn't want to re-audition after a year but it was lots of fun and its good to play under the big names!

Fingers crossed for you

:lol:

19. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

Just come back from my audition in Leicester! :twisted:

I think it was alright, I had Peter Christian as my "examiner."
    You get to choose the order you do everything in, so I started with scales (get them out of the way!), got asked B Flat Major 2 octaves, then its arpeggio 2 octaves, it's relative minor (G Minor), and a chromatic starting on Ab. Got most done correctly. :shock:

Then I did my study (No. 6 from the Arban) which went alright.

Then I did my chosen piece (Dublin's Fair City) which went well- but didn't hold the top D at the end long enough! (Ah well, what can you do! :lol: )

Then came sight reading, :? I got given a manuscript piece by (I think but can't remember) Elgar Howarth, which was alright but I didn't do as well as I could of. :cry: :roll:

So now I just wait to see if I pass my audtion (I think i'll find out this week) and i'll post when I find out. Then if I pass, I have to wait until December when I find out if I got in/ there's a space for me. :roll:

So, good luck to all the other tMP auditionees!!! :wink:
    Hopefully I may get to see some of you on one of the courses with the NYBB of GB sometime! :wink:

20. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

ben why you doing nybb??? :eek:
    you been kicked out of nyo? ;)

21. Kayleigh

Kayleigh Member

What about all of us Cornish Guys n Gals?? Me and Adam (Ginge) Play for CYBB which is pretty good it aint as popular as National Youth but i bet its as fun! For our Xmas course we have got Roger Webster coming down to be guest soloist. Seeing as i live at Cornwall it is pretty darn hard to travel up the country for practices if i joined NYBB. You know what i mean??

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    NYBB Salford
    NYBBGB Audition
    NYBB Salford auditions
    th nov
    cu