NYBB clash with youth championships

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Andy Moore, Sep 18, 2005.

1. Andy Moore

Andy Moore Member

NYBB Championships + NYBB Easter Course 2006

Apparently the dates for the National Youth Championships and the NYBB Easter Course next year overlap. Is it just me that thinks this is the most stupid thing that could have been done with these dates? E.g. at least 3 principal players from St Helens Youth would have to miss out on the Championships. :(

Well done West Lothian, NYBB Champions '06 :clap: lol

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    NYBB
    NYBB Easter Course
    National Youth Championships
    NYBB Easter
    NYBB Championships
  3. Di

Di Active Member

It was stated in the Bandsman that Mr Biggs is doing everything he can to move the date of the easter course by one day. This would still give an overlap of the contest day and the seating audition day, but I think players will be able to arrive when the can and audition.

4. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

ok, this isnt meant to be pointing fingers at anyone, but from what ive heard, gary walzack (sorry, cant spell his surname) organises the NYBB championships, and is also part of the national youth people, so, surely, he would have known about the course, and known not to put it then. is it just pure lack of communication?

ive also heard that philip biggs is tryin to move the course by a day, but wouldnt that leave the course a day shorter than normal because there are concerts already booked arent there?

5. Andy Moore

Andy Moore Member

Not if it finished on the Sunday.

6. Di

Di Active Member

Thats the way I understand it would be, start a day late and finish a day late. The whys and wherefores of how they got booked together wall in front page news in the Bandsman.

7. Steve

Steve Active Member

Its laughable, this thread shouldnt even be here. How can people make such awful mistakes when there is only 1 easter NYBB course and 1 NYBB Championships each year. Gotta laugh really, obviously I also hope it doesnt effect any of the players though.

8. aimee_euph

aimee_euph Member

was it last year when the tameside open contest clashed with the NYBB champs?

i know obviously it is not seen as important as the NYBB course etc. by some people but to those concerned last year it nearly made several players leave because of the clash and the arguements made in the clash.

Surely the organisers of contests should sit down and look at the dates....the same applies with Easter schools and Courses. Humph.

9. Di

Di Active Member

Strange as well, because for the last 2 easters, the course has started on the easter weekend, this time its been changed back to finishing on the easter weekend. I suppose its all to do with availability of schools and venues. Must be a pretty delicate juggling act.

10. Andy Moore

Andy Moore Member

Wasn't it that Tameside was on the Sunday before the Youth Champs, and the day after NYBB. Youth band had a rehearsal that day, and the argument was whether the rehearsal was more important than Tameside.

11. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I don't know for sure, but things might have been complicated by many education authorities changing their "Easter" holiday so it is on fixed dates, rather than tying in directly with easter itself.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    NYBB
    NYBB Easter Course
    National Youth Championships
    NYBB Easter
    NYBB Championships
  13. IckleSop

IckleSop Active Member

The NYBB champs where always a week or 2 weeks after blackpool youth contest and that had been happening at least since i started playing a good 13 years ago, and only just in the last what 3 years since it had been moved to the rncm the dates changed.

14. masefield

masefield Member

There's also another clash this particular weekend which might also affect - that is the National Concert Band Festival National Festival on the 8th in Glasgow. This will impact on travelling and accomodation and obviously have an impact on schools deciding which to go for. It's also the first weekend of the Easter Holidays, which might well have an adverse effect for Schools. Last years NYBB school category only had 3 schools taking part, because of the same position re school holidays. I know that there will likely to be clashes whatever weekend is chosen but surely there should be greater thought given to the overall planning of events in order to achieve the best attendance. Would welcome any other thoughts.

15. drummergurl

my personal opinion is that the contest would be better suited in november, because, bands have had time to rehearse from september, as far as i am aware there isnt much that happens in november contest wise. if you move the contest to after easter, you are starting to hit times when exams are, and its just generally a stressful time.

also, it shouldnt clash with anything NYBBGB does in november. i think if you had it say the last weekend in november, it would be better than where it is at the moment. i know that half term is in october, and theres pontins and other things a few weeks before that though, but it gives bands a chance at rehearsing from september through to half term, have a break at half term, a few weeks rehearsing from half term to the contest.

in my eyes this would be ideal. thoughts please...

16. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

Well you'll be at the Scottish Open then, with quite a few others I'd hope!

17. masefield

masefield Member

I fully accept what you say about November - but unfortunately, probably, there is not a good time whenever it is held. My lads are with a school band as you can probably guess. I think that November is a bit early in the academic year for schools as they are attempting to introduce new members into the brass band etc. with the consequent rehearsal time being a bit short to then enter a national competition.

Also this year in particular (4th time) the School's Showband are lucky and honoured to be busy rehearsing for a MFY School's Prom Concert in early November at the Royal Albert Hall, followed by in short time the Regional Qualifying Heat for NCBF at the end of November, where two of the bands are involved. They are already planning a rehearsal in the October Half Term and also a couple of Sundays - so for them this term is probably as busy as any other term. The school no doubt with others are also doing community concerts i.e. Rememberance Sunday etc.

I think in conclusion the best fit needs to be found and ideally to assist as many bands from whatever section of the Youth Band movement in order to reach a suitable compromise and to encourage the maximum of entries. I think on balance the present time of the year is ok so long as further consideration is given for other events in the calendar. I just think that at minimum school holidays must be avoided.

18. drummergurl

haha well, i didnt actually look at a calendar before i wrote that... :rolleyes:

note to self: check calendar first next time!

19. horn-girlie

horn-girlie Member

just wondering if anyone on here is in the same position as me: i'm suppossed to be doing the National Youth Brass Band Championships cntest in manchester on the day the easter NYBB course is supposed to start. Phillip Biggs has said in his letter that he does not mind if, because of the contest, we turn up late for the course. i dont want to be the only one turning up late though! also, will it not make the auditions complicated, because i'll have to have a later audition after the seat placings have been decided?! is anyone else in the position? and what are you doing?

xxx

20. matti_raz

matti_raz Member

If Phillip Biggs says do it; do it! Who you playing with?

21. horn-girlie

horn-girlie Member

the mighty poynton youth :icon_biggrin: lol! are smithells in the nationals this yr aswel then?

22. HBB

HBB Active Member

Don't miss it, just come a day late Lizzy (then I can nick your seat... bwahahahah!!)