NW Areas Result - What happened? #Regs2016

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Seffblatter, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Seffblatter

Seffblatter New Member

Honestly, I'm now out.

Thanks everyone for what was proving to be an interesting thread. I was really enjoying reading the contributions. I love bouncing ideas back and forth and questioning the existing status quo but after the mods reaction and the official statement this morning, I have lost all faith in this platform and I'd like my account to removed please.

2. Pauli Walnuts

Pauli Walnuts Moderator Staff Member

I'm sorry you think I have over-reacted to this thread. And that the Regional Committee and Wingates themselves have also over-reacted. And for over-reacting to the allegation of Corruption in the post.
    If you want this forum to survive in a way that meets your different standards, perhaps you should volunteer to be a moderator here.

3. Sydney Fowlcoup

Sydney Fowlcoup New Member

You are not entitled to infer corruption unless you have very strong grounds to do so.
    Where is your proof, and are you prepared to name names?
    I don't want or need your apologies, but perhaps the band and adjudicators do?

Accidental likes this.
  4. BrianT

BrianT Member

Just suppose the Regional Committee demanded (via a solicitor maybe) that tMP divulge the identity of 'Seff Blatter' so they could pursue a libel/defamation case against them?
    Would tMP defend that poster's anonymity? Or would they do as asked? Is there any 'small print' about how the site operates?

5. Tom-King

Tom-King Well-Known Member

Going back into the dregs of tMP history... If I recall correctly there was a case some years back where a tMP member was prosecuted for actions on tMP and tMP granted police access to required information (naming no names or more specific details).

Whether tMP even knows Seffs true identity I don't know, but I wouldn't rely on them withholding any assistance they were able to provide if there were legal ramifications to keeping silent.

6. philram

philram Member

Grezzer... Ashton were better than Fodens AND Wingates... Just sayin like.

Space Cowboy likes this.
  7. Pauli Walnuts

The site is now owned by an American and is also hosted in the US. Good luck getting anything out of that through the UK legal system.
    And no, tMp doesn't know his name - just his IP address.

8. marksmith

marksmith Active Member

With pleasure! How can you even question my standards when a mod should consider ALL viewpoints as valid and remain open to them?
    I do agree that written accusations should be substantiated by evidence, unfortunately the heat of the moment prevents cool consideration.
    If this thread was/ is so controversial, how was it allowed to enter a public forum?
    Overreaction yes, not my 'different standard', just fact.
    Free speech is a law of the land, interpretation is personal.
    Just saying.

9. Pauli Walnuts

Libel is also the law of the land, interpretation of that is in the hands of the courts.
    Just saying.

A Mod doesn't have to remain open to all viewpoints, that is pure nonsense!

Accidental likes this.
  10. Matthew

Matthew Active Member

I had just looked this up on a WHOIS before I read your post as I was thinking the same thing...! ;)

11. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

The new Rule 23d quoted above makes it pretty blindingly clear why Wingates felt the need to dissociate themselves from the first post's allegations in no uncertain terms (Hi Adam! Congratulations, btw. Stonking result.). This thread if nothing else demonstrates why this rule is a problem - what's to stop a disgruntled bandsperson signing up, anonymously posting slander and attaching some rival band's name to it in a bid to get them belatedly disqualified? Not a lot, as I see it.

This rule needs substantial rethinking if it isn't to cause more problems than it solves.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
    mikelyons, LynneW, BenPhoenix and 5 others like this.
  12. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

Moomin, as usual, I am in admiration of your posts,( to the extent I am almost intimidated by your intelligence). You raise such an interesting point here. The only downside is you may just have given some people not as bright as yourself some ideas on creating a great deal of mischief. You, my dear, would be an excellent choice to be involved on any decision making in the Banding world (and beyond). The Association is obviously reading this thread - sign him up guys!:)

mikelyons likes this.
  13. MoominDave

Aw Wendy, you're far too kind. As always.

Stop trying to get people to get me to do things! ;-) I'm far too busy as things are already...

LynneW, Mesmerist and Pauli Walnuts like this.
  14. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

You could step into Pauli's big shoes... You get my vote!

Euphonium Lite likes this.
  15. Bob Sherunkle

Bob Sherunkle Active Member

But how could they check 4BarsRest on their phones if not hidden in a box ?

Love

Bob

(I'M JOKING)

16. Bob Sherunkle

Bob Sherunkle Active Member

Really ?

Prosecuted ?

Are you sure ?

I do remember the previous owner of this site accusing me of being someone else in his postings and mounting a campaign to get me sacked from my part-time work as a lavatory attendant. But he never did like me very much for some reason.

17. MoominDave

Yep, someone was. Quite a different set of circumstances to anonymous trolling. Best not dug up, really.

18. Ianroberts

Ianroberts Well-Known Member

Far better to bring stuff like that into the public domain ! who ? what ? when ? why ?

19. marksmith

marksmith Active Member

Just thinking on a slight tangent to the original post.
    As we become more able to share our opinions through such media as the internet, does this make institutions more guarded and secretive, and more likely to defend themselves through threats of legal action?
    Libel laws are there as a last resort, yes, but are we all too scared to share our opinions, despite best intention?
    One thing that is now acknowledged is that all levels of our society suffer forms of corruption and that most people look after no.1.
    Individuals and organisations lie;
    Be it Government departments, executive officers, or simply an individual who forgets an important deadline at work, they sometimes become economical with the truth, to make someone else seem at fault or incompetent. That's the real world, cynical or not.
    Thus, we are more suspicious of peoples' intentions or motives and more likely to react negatively.
    If, for example, you or your band is/are a member of an organisation which fails to deliver on it's constitutional commitments to it's membership, continues to charge subscriptions, yet gives the appearance of laying dormant throughout the year, should we not have the right to criticise openly, without fear of retribution? After all, we would merely be stating the facts, not making comment for personal gain.
    Sadly, organisations in that situation, prefer to focus their energy on defending their inaction and slurring the critic, rather than taking action to improve their quality of service to the membership. (Yes, I do know this from experience).
    So, should we fall into line and accept these experiences 'as banding', or remain a thorn in the side of those who fail in office?
    I know where I stand.

mikelyons likes this.
  20. Pauli Walnuts

Some interesting points there @marksmith and when it comes to organisations - such as band associations - then people with strong views should get off their butts and get involved to make change happen.
    One big problem here though is the main competition that causes public debate is run by an organisation where you cannot do that. Regional Committee are not publicly accountable as they exist only to run the regional event on behalf of the current contest owners. You cannot turn up at meetings, get involved and ultimately get yourself elected like you can with more open associations such as scaba.
    So, with verifiable facts in your pocket, be a thorn in their side and do so openly imho - organisations take little heed of anonymous and unsubstantiated comments.

mikelyons, John Brooks and marksmith like this.