NW Area Disqualification!!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by BBBfYBS, Mar 26, 2013.

1. BBBfYBS

BBBfYBS Member

So, I heard a very upsetting rumour last night that any band in the NW area who supported the area committee in entering on the "Barnsley" reg cards (17 bands) before making an informed decision on which registry system they'd like to run with, will be penalised either with a points deduction or a total disqualification by Mr brass band himself, Phillip Morris!
    Anyone have any thoughts????

2. bassmittens

bassmittens Member

3. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Sounds like somebody with a vested interest scaremongering to me. Just my immediate take on it.

4. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

I agree, it's BS !

~ Mr Wilx

5. BBBfYBS

BBBfYBS Member

Punishment for not signing with Kapitol. I was told this after a NW area meeting last night!

6. marc71178

marc71178 Member

If it's true, is anybody really that surprised?

7. BBBfYBS

BBBfYBS Member

Not surprised. Disappointed. -sigh-

8. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Kapitol own the National championships and the rules that govern them. The rules clearly stated that English bands entering the areas must be registered with the new BBPL, therefore any bands playing on the old BBBR cards were breaking those rules. Its something we've all been aware of for months and have discussed at great length here and on other social media, so this new development can't really come as a great surprise to anyone.
    I'm not saying I like it, but IF this is true and not just some scaremongering rumours, then all Kapitol are doing is enforcing their own rule.

9. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Maybe it is Chinese whispers along the lines of "Kapitol will have to treat any bands that entered without BBPL cards as if they were disqualified for finals qualification purposes" i.e. Saying nothing about grading purposes. Who enforces the gradings? Surely it is the NW contest committee - who have already stood up to Kapitol over the cards for this contest. It would be implausibly inconsistent of them to now disqualify bands from their gradings on that basis.

It just doesn't have a credible ring of truth to it, and sounds like at best a misunderstanding, at worst a deliberate attempt to spin trouble.

10. titfa

titfa New Member

Is it not about time that BBE grew a pair and stood up to Kapitol, they should seriuosly look at Dave Ashworths proposal of putting their own English national contest together along with their own grading system, then let the english bands decide which contest they wish to enter instead of just lying back and taking what ever Kapitol throw at them. Oppsoing Kapitol shouldn't just be down to individual bands!!

BBE get your act together then the bands can support you!!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    NW
    Phillip Morris
    Barnsley
    Mr brass band
    NW Area Disqualification
  12. titfa

titfa New Member

As far as i'm aware any band that went on BBBR cards would be treated as a withdrawal and therefore will have the number of bands entered +1 towards their grading for this year.

13. BBBfYBS

BBBfYBS Member

So in that case then the NW area committee are to blame for asking bands to perform using the old OR new cards......?!?!?We new the rules re not being invited to the nationals if we qualified. But in no correspondence has there been rules re point deductions or disqualification!

14. marc71178

marc71178 Member

So if you knew the rules regarding not qualifying, you'd also know that you've not complied with the entry requirements and as such this should surely have been obvious?

15. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

I note we are commenting initially on a rumour however abstracted from the National Rules

Contest Management

Kapitol shall manage the National Finals and each Regional Committee shall manage the Regional Championship for their respective regions.

5. In order to enter the Regional Championships, a band secretary must complete the official entry form and return it to the appropriate Regional Committee, together with the entry fee, before the stated closing date. The entry fee is not refundable in any circumstances.

DISCIPLINE AND APPEALS

b) If the Contest Management decides that there has been a breach of the National Rules, or
    an error in the results, it will revise the list of placings.

22. Disciplinary action may be taken by the Contest Management for any of the following
    offences:-
    a) Any breach of the Rules;
    b) Failure to comply with the instructions set out in the contest schedule;
    c) Any action that the Contest Management deems to be detrimental to the reputation of the Contest"

So the area contests are run by the area committees not Kapitol they are the Contest Management, if any disciplinary action was to be taken they are the people given that authority not Kapitol.

16. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Is it disciplinary action though? IF the rumour is true, I just read it to mean Kapitol are enforcing their rule about bands being registered - if a band wasn't registered with BBPL then they shouldn't (according to the Nat rules) have competed, therefore their placings/points can't count for anything...

this may be stating the bleeding obvious, but has anyone contacted the NW Regional committee to find out if this is even true before we waste pages on here speculating about it?!

17. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Can beat a good rumour for some good speculation - why let facts spoil a discussion as our long gone friend Sony would say - "You want answers? I want the truth!"

18. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

and just a reminder of what Philip Morris said regarding bands entering on BBBR cards

"Stand firm

He continued: "Those without BBP registration cards issued before the 2013 Regional Championships will not be considered for an invitation to the 2013 National Finals.

I’m afraid that, in the interests of preserving the competitive integrity of the National series, we have to stand firm on that decision and I’m sure that bands wouldn’t want it any other way.
    In any case, it would not be fair to those bands competing on BBP cards in the Regional Championships if other bands flouted the National Rules by competing on BBBR cards and there was no redress."

19. mattthebass

mattthebass Member

Think someone's got the wrong end of the stick here.

As far as I'm aware, but I haven't been able to confirm this with the Regional Secretary (Only tried him once a couple of minutes ago, but will try again and get the answer on here as quick as possible).

I think this comes down to not understanding the difference between the Regionals and the Nationals, the Nationals (confusion probably because we call it a 'national grading') can give a band whatever points its like, they're meaningless, frankly it's a gentlemens agreement that the top placed bands are invited to the nationals, Morris could just as easily rewrite his rules to say 'invites at the nationals discretion' or the like. So the top and bottom is, is down to the NW regional committee to give you you're grading and only them, so don't worry if you played on BBBR cards. 99.9% on this but as said will check.

PS what was the NW meeting that took place, was it NWABBA or Regional committee, because if I didn't get an invite if it was RC?

20. DannyCollin

DannyCollin Member

it's simply a ridiculous situation created by a welsh numpty with nothing more than £ signs in his eyes, and the sooner the people running contests at a local level realise this, the better it will be....... beware the TAFIA..

21. mattthebass

mattthebass Member

Just a thought, were they getting mixed up with City of Chester, because they did compete on BBBR, won and have been disqualified, but are still NW 'Open' Champions. There's a thought though, who will go in the programme next year as last years winners, City of Chester or the BBPL band?

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    NW
    Phillip Morris
    Barnsley
    Mr brass band
    NW Area Disqualification