numbers of bands qualifying for the Nationals - question!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by sparkling_quavers, Feb 17, 2005.

1. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

As I understand it if there are 18 or over bands in a section 3 bands (instead of 2) qualify for the Nationals. BUT is this 18 or over bands that ENTER, or 18 or over bands that ACTUALLY TAKE THE STAGE? 18 bands have entered the 3rd Section NW but I know of at least 1 that certainly will not now be doing the contest. The committee has published the list stating that 3 bands will qualify to represent the region at Harrogate but, will this number be reduced with any withdrawals?

2. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

The number that take the stage. However I do believe that is 15 or over for the third spot to gain qualification.

3. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

Isn't it one nationals spot per 5 bands that compete?

4. Laserbeam bass

Not quite

Up to 9 bands competing 1 qualifies
    up to 14, 2 qualify
    up to 24, 3 qualify
    Over 25, 4 qualify

5. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Not quite! ;)
    Direct quote from the NBBCGB Rules, effective 1 November 2004....

11. a) Qualification to the Finals.

i) In respect of the First to Fourth Sections, qualification will depend on the number of bands entered in the Sections at the Regional Championship:-
    Up to 16 bands entered ............... 2 bands qualify
    17 to 24 bands entered ............... 3 bands qualify
    25 bands and over entered .......... 4 bands qualify

ii) In respect of the Championship Section, the first four placed bands in the previous year's Final will qualify for an invitation to the next Final, subject to competing in their respective Regional Championships.

iii) In each of the Championship Section Regional Championships, the two highest placed bands will qualify for the Final, excluding those already invited by ii) above.

What the rules don't define is "entered", but from past experience its always been the number of bands who actually played. Hope that helps!!

6. postie

postie Member

That's a pity Midlands has got 23 in so we just needed a couple of more band to enter to make it four shame!!!!!!!

7. Mrs Fruity

Mrs Fruity Member

Isn't it traditionally at the adjudicator's discretion whether the third placed band is invited to the finals?
    EDIT
    Oh I've just read the quote from the rules above - hush my mouth!!!

8. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Its the nuber of bands printed in the programe, not the number of bands who play on the day

i.e:For arguments sake 19 bands in section (What ever) printed in prog 13 play on the day then 3 bands still go to national finals;)

9. Laserbeam bass

My numbers were wrong but I did them from memory, but I agree with Accidental that the number of qualifying bands is based on those that play on the day. L & SC have 29 contesting bands in the 4th section over the last three years, but have seen as many as 34 compete when the test piece is right for the normally non contesting bands. What would happen if you had 34 entires and 30 withdrawals (V unlikely) on your selection policy all four bands would go to the national finals (I think not).

10. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

I agree with Ian. I've always believed it to be the number of bands that are printed in the programme on the day.

;)

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Nationals
    Section NW
    numbers of bands qualifying
    Nationals - question
    Harrogate
  12. sparkling_quavers

including withdrawals?

13. Andyrob75

Andyrob75 New Member

I spoke to Peter Bates (NW Area Secretary) last week to confirm this. It is definitely the number of bands printed in the programme on the day. Hope this helps!

14. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

Showing your age! It used to be the case that adjudicators nominated a third band, from the Dark Ages until about 1975...

(That's to get you back for mentioning my dress sense or lack thereof).

D

15. sparkling_quavers

Thanks for the replies everyone :biggrin: