Now that's what I call brass playing...

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by BrianT, Sep 26, 2011.

1. BrianT

BrianT Member

A few times now I've wished I had a CD with tracks that best demonstrate what's possible with brass instruments, in lots of different genres (R&B, Jazz, Orchestral, small ensemble, unaccompanied, Brass Band, etc,)

This would be to inspire youngsters particularly to take up a brass instrument.

But I'm not sure what the best track choices would be.

2. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Somewhere over the rainbow (Trombone solo) from the Airmen of Note album "Somewhere out there" played I believe by Dave Steinmeyer.

Neatly encapsulates every aspect of the trombone player's art, from blistering technique and ferocious power, to lyrical, refined and delicate playing. High register, low register, the works. Plus it's listenable without being cheesy, and accessible without being cliche.

The whole album's a gem, but for brass playing, that's the best one on it.

I tried and failed to obtain charts an copyright permission for a band arrangement of it (I know a band trombone player with a history of jazz playing who'd knock pin it to the back wall) but maybe it's worth another try.....
  3. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Amazing Grace Canadian brass. (Available on the 'best of' album) Probably their best lineup when they recorded this. Fabulous arrangement. Luther Henderson used a Bb cornet rather than a trumpet for the softer sound, and really makes it sing it's heart out.

Has some of their tradditional dixie diversions in the middle, but again, demonstrates every facet of brass playing at it's finest.
  4. Daisy Duck

Daisy Duck Member

You could have a DVD to go with the CD and then I would recommend putting anything by Mnozil Brass on it!
  5. simonium

simonium Member

Endearing Young Charms from Wynton Marsalis' Carnaval CD.
    The Hot Canary from Patrick Sheridan's Bon Bons CD.
    Lento from Horovitz Euphonium Concerto -

I Love You from Maynard Ferguson & the Big Bop Nouveau Brass Attitude CD

Plus liberal sprinklings of Vizzutti to boggle the mind.
  6. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

I am the proud possessor of a very rare and little-known vinyl recording of the late, great John Fletcher on tuba, with piano accompaniment. Recorded and issued in Japan in 1981, the LP title is "Le Tuba Enchantée", and it includes, among other things, a version of Elgar's Chanson de Matin which IMHO qualifies as the most exquisite example of simple slow-melody playing on any brass instrument, by anyone, ever.

If anyone is interested, and is feeling adventurous enough to order directly from Japan, the CD version is available here:

Aside from that, I would be inclined to include at least part of Malcolm McNab's outstanding recording of the Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto arranged for trumpet, from hi solo CD "Exquisite".
  7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Allen Vizzutti ... The Carnival Of Venus!

8. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

9. toby hobson

toby hobson Member

Cat Anderson playing on Ellington's Black and Tan Fantasy, Maynard Ferguson playing Give It One, Maurice Andre playing The Haydn, Clark Terry playing anything, Frank Rosolino playing anything, Carl Fontana playing Polka Dots and Moonbeams, Wayne Bergeron playing The Horn of Puente, Maurice Murphy playing A Brown Bird Singing