Now it's Eikanger on Naxos!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by James Yelland, Jan 15, 2010.

1. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Just spotted a new Naxos release - Eikanger playing their epic arrangement of Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet. Exciting stuff. First Dyke, now Eikanger. I wonder if the success of the Wilby CD persuaded the Naxos people that there was a market for brass bands? Let's hope so, and let's hope there are more releases to come.

2. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

3. euphoria

euphoria Member

Great - Just bougt it. It sounds great sofar!

Costs less than half the price of a new CD and no P&P.
    I hope Naxos will make a lot more music available this way.

Erik

4. James Yelland

My copy arrived this morning and it is indeed a fine recording. Most encouragingly, the jewel case bears the words 'Brass Band Classics' which seems to suggest it is part of a series - or am I being too optimistic?

I think I would take issue with the sleeve note which asserts that "...Russia boasts a great brass band tradition", though! No great names immediately come to mind...

5. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

There is a strong tradition of brass groups in Russia (as in Finland, for example), but they are not quite along the same lines as a British brass band, smaller, and mainly saxhorn-based. The Ewald "Symphony for Brass", used in transcription for the 2002 Regionals, was written for such a combination.

6. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Another way of reading it is just that it's a brass band playing an arrangement of Classics ;)

7. James Yelland

That's where we differ - you're a 'glass half empty' man whereas I'm a 'glass half full' man!

Actually, that's not true. My glass is usually completely empty. Whose round is it? The tide's gone out!

8. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

:D

I work occasionally with some of the guys that have done a fair few of the Naxos orchestral CDs...I'll ask around and see if anyone knows of a Grand Plan...but I doubt I'll find anything out.

9. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

They're not listing a "Brass Classics" series yet, but with the recent expansion of the wind band series there is always a chance, if the demand is there.

10. pt88

pt88 New Member

Had a listen to the preview 20 seconds of each track on itunes think it will be my next CD
    purchase sounds great.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Naxos
    Eikanger
    stuff
    CD
    First Dyke
  12. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I thought it was an ambitious choice when Eikanger played it at the 2007 RNCM Festival Of Brass, considering three other significant works were also on the programme. Nice collaboration between the arrangers, though, for the suite.