Novelty Records

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Nigel Hall, Oct 2, 2005.

1. Nigel Hall

Nigel Hall Supporting Member

OK Guys

I'm in the process of starting to put together some radio shows featuring novelty records for a friends (potential) internet radio station. Whilst I have what may seem to most as an inordinate amount of rubbish/c**p/comedy records, I am always on the lookout for any more, (for our American friends I have aspirations of being the next Dr Demento!!!). I already have such classics as Terry Scott's "My Brother" and more Goons etc stuff than you can shake a stick at.... So dredge your memory and give me inspiration!

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    toothbrush
    song
    toothbrushRight
    Joyce the Librarian
    Novelty Records
  3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Are you looking at one-hit wonders that were sung by comedians or actors? Stuff like 'Grandad' by Clive Dunn? Or are you wanting daft, cheesy and unexpected tracks like 'The Birdy Song' and 'The Floral Dance'?? :confused:

4. mad_female

mad_female Member

When I was little we had a Ray Moore record called "My father had a rabbit" which caused a lot of hilarity

Rhian

5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Okay, ... singles I still cringe at include ...

1. The Teletubbies - Teletubbies Say 'Eh-Oh'
    2. Chas And Dave - Rabbit
    3. Middle Of The Road - Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep
    4. St. Winifred's School Choir - There's No-one Quite Like Grandma
    5. Mr. Blobby - Br. Blobby
    6. Keith Harris And Orvil - Orvil's Song
    7. The Wombles - Remember You're A Womble
    8. Natalie Casie - Chick, Chick, Chicken
    9. Fat Les - Vindaloo
    10. (Any song sung by a football team)

6. Nigel Hall

Yep!! Anything that could be classed as a novelty or funny (intended or unintended!)

Good one - I'd forgotten that - and also his "Bog Eyed Jog".....Thanks!

I think I'll pass on Footie songs! and as for the Teletubbies.......... I wonder was the Natalie Casey that sang Chick Chick Chicken the same Natalie Casey that appears in Two Pints Of Lager and A Packet Of Crisps??...which reminds me of the Splodgnessabounds song of the same name

Last edited: Oct 2, 2005
  7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Ivor Biggun must be in your category then with a host of infamous titles such as 'The Winker's Song (misprint)'

and, of course ...

Bras on 45
    Hide The Sausage
    I Have A Dog His Name Is Rover
    Halfway Up Virginia
    The Pussy Song
    (Nobody Does It Like) The Ukelele Man
    The Cockerel Song
    I've Parted
    The W*nker's Rock'n'roll
    Are "Mice" Electric?
    Hello My Baby
    W*nking Your Blues Away
    I've Got A Monster
    The Majorca Song
    The Charabanc Trip

8. Nigel Hall

Yes I have the Fruity Bits CD but like Kevin ****** Wilson and Chubby Brown you could never play them on any sort of radio station!!!!!

9. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Wot about 'Puff The Magic Dragon' by Peter, Paul And Mary? It's quite novel.

10. Redhorn

Redhorn New Member

Yes, its the same person!

Can I add "anything by Tommy Steele" onto your list please!

11. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

Spike Jones and his City Slickers - some of it's a bit dated, but gunshots, sirens and pots and pans in the percussion section must still count as 'novelty'... :biggrin:

Attilla the Stockbroker is perhaps more 'odd' than novelty, and if you've got 'Goons etc.' then you're probably at least aware of the recording careers of The Goodies and the Monty P crowd.

How about the Bonzo Dog Band? - Dr Jazz with swanee whistle solo, for example? :tup

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    toothbrush
    song
    toothbrushRight
    Joyce the Librarian
    Novelty Records
  13. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

Didn't Keith Chegwin manage to endorse an entire album of novelty stuff??

14. Nigel Hall

One of my favourites! One day maybe I'll do a "Spike" type arrangement for band to give the shed builders a chance to get the pots, pans and starting pistols out!!

More good stuff especially "Jollity Farm" and "Shirts"

He did indeed! (includes Keith Harris and that bl***y Duck!)

Does anyone have a copy of the Natalie Casey Chick Chick Chicken that they a) want to own up to and b) would let me borrow

This really is great stuff peeps... keep it coming!

Last edited: Oct 2, 2005
  15. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Maybe I should include parody songs from the likes of “Weird” Al Yankovic and other novelties by Trekkies Leonard Nimoy and William Shatner! The Go-Gos 'I Want To Spend My Christmas With A Dalek' was also quite interesting!

16. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

Dr Hook and the Medicine Show (before they turned into a money-making 'ballad' band :frown: ) - 'Cover of the Rolling Stone', 'I Got Stoned and I Missed It', 'Everybody's Making It Big But Me', etc....:tup :tup

17. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

How about Arthur Mullard and Hilda Baker's version of 'You're The One That I Want', or Telly Savalas ruining 'Words'. There was also one by Paul Shane of Hi-de-Hi fame(?). Can't remember what it was, but it was awful.....got a small idea that it may have been 'Feelings'.

18. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

Pinky & Perky ???

19. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

What was that song William Shatner murdered?

I have a recording of Pictures at an Exhibition performed by two accordions. It's actually quite brilliantly done, but I guess it must have some 'novelty' value?

20. Nigel Hall

Just about everything he recorded, but I guess you mean his version of Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds... Classic!

I wouldn't mind a copy of that!!!!!!

21. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

If memory serves me it was "You've lost that loving feeling", in even more of a club singer style than Vic Reeves.

Nigel

I have a 16 tracks of a Vegas Lounge singer, doing covers of everything from Rockerfeller (sp) skank :shock: to Closer by Nine Inch Nails :eek: Extremely hilarious, and quite a novelty. Let me know if you want a copy, and I will arrange one for you :tup

22. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Star Trekkin by the Firm?

Donald where's yer troosers by Andy Williams?