Nottingham buskers!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by jonford, Jan 11, 2006.

1. jonford

jonford Member

2. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

I think they had a similar thing in place in Leicester last time I looked at how easy it was to go busking... they were giving out badges to people that passed auditions.

I think it's a good idea, because I've heard some pretty terrible buskers out there.

3. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

This was bought in to try to rid the streets of people in dirty sleeping bags lying across shop doorways trying to play London Bridge is Falling Down on a penny whistle.
    There has been many attempts to rid nottingham centre of beggars and there are plenty of powers the police can already use to move them on.
    But this is Nottingham City Council. No doubt they will employ a Nottingham Street Entertainment Outreach Councillor on 30 grand a year who will check that all buskers are Gay, disabled or come from an ethnic community and who have a full repetoire of 'World Music' to play on their digeridoo.

Joking aside I think this initiative is a bit rich coming from Nottingham City Council. Up until a couple of years ago there was this busker, a very old simple soul who played things such as 3 blind mice on a childrens 8 note xylophone. He was harmless and known by everyone who frequented nottingham city centre. When he died the Council gave him the great honour of naming one of Notttinghams Trams after him. I wonder if he would have passed their quality test.

4. rutty

rutty Active Member

What he says.

It's a rubbish idea and waste of tax-payers' money.

I miss that old tramp :(

5. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

I'm pretty sure London Underground did something similar a couple of years ago (sponsored by Carling). Only the result was that the few decent buskers they had were weeded out and passengers were left with some pretty dire ones to listen to!

6. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

They also relocated the spots into different places that would supposedly cause less disruption, but they were no longer where I used to pass by. There used to be an excellent accordianist at Piccadilly Circus, just at the steps down to the Bakerloo Line, but he just seemed to disappear. (All banished since the tube bombings, anyway :( )

The licensing of buskers at Covent garden seems to have been quite successful, although they've tended to favour street entertainers of various kinds rather than straightforward musical acts. There are some good string trios/quartets who perform outside, the cafe at the lower level, but most of the other acts are mime artistes, acrobats, clowns etc