Notification of Absence or Lateness.

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by nook1938, Feb 15, 2007.

1. nook1938

nook1938 Supporting Member

Do we all have the privilige of the Conductor or someone else who is a 'contact' let the band know that so and so is missing for whatever reason or is it a case of a practice will start and the Conductor will get to a part and say" does anyone know where he or she is" and then goe's into not happy mode because the chords are not being played with the parts missing.

If we are lucky to have notification, what is the "Excuse" offered that stands out as being abit lame? or is everyone happy with the committment of the players?
  2. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

At BBSBB last rehearsal we had 5 people missing from a full band compliment - 4 on holiday (pre-notified) and 1 had a mechanical breakdown at Huddersfield (hand brake stuck on).

At Killamarsh last night we had a 3 on holiday, 2 missing due to work, me missing 'cos I was at an orchestra rehearsal and 2 on the sick list.

So generally at both bands we have some idea on the night why people are not there - is this lack of committment or just the fact that other stuff happens?
  3. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

For my sins I get to be the person that gets the calls/texts etc if anyone is going to be absent (hence the avatar!) Absolutely dread the phone going from about 16;00 onwards on band days as you can almost guarantee a few late notice absentees. Don't get me wrong, we all understand that sometimes things happen that cannot be avoided but sometimes it is so obvious. What i hate even more though is those that don't even have the courtesy to let you know they will be missing. That is just unacceptable in my book as it is letting down everyone else.
  4. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

I normally text the conductor or someone who is going to be there and can pass on the message. As for good excuses, I don't have any because I love going to band and wouldn't want to miss it except for when there is a genuine reason. In my old band, I lived with the band secretary so I couldn't make excuses!!
  5. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

My favourite was "I've been getting bad vibes from my cornet all day, and think it hates me." We never saw her again...
  6. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

We have a sorry@.... email address to send messages to if we're unexpectedly not able to attend that goes to all the people that matter.

I generally let the band know well in advance if I'm not going to be there. I work shifts so miss 1 in 3 rehearsals. I usually text/call the principal cornet/chairman/band manager if I'm unavoidably detained at work or whatever. At the end of the day, earning a living comes above band practice! I'd like it to be the other way round but I don't think my boss/bank manager would agree!!
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2007
  7. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

At South Molton, you have to let either, Gil the Chairman/Solo Horn or Terry the MD, know you aren't going to be there. Or tell someone who is going to pass on a message.

Terry goes round the empty seats, to say why people aren't there, to let everyone know before rehearsal starts.

We've had fab attendance recently though!

I'm not going tonight though, all poorly!
  8. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

we have banned text messages as we would be getting them 20 mins for a rehearsal started with players not coming.
    so we have now in place 3/4 members to contact by phone or tell the conductor if someone will not be at practise,or say in advance if a person will not be there.
    It works 100% as well:clap:
    As its bad manners not to just not turn up and not let anyone know.:mad:

As text messages can be sent to easy at to shorter notice;)
    but we get super attendance figs avr 22-24
  9. andyh

andyh Supporting Member

What a brilliant idea - I may just 'borrow' that if you don't mind !
  10. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

If I ever need to miss band for whatever reason, be it work or illness, I just let our band manager know and he will tell the conductor where I am. This allows the conductor to give a brief summary of who is missing and why and at almost every practice everybody is accounted for
  11. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

I just llet our Bass Trombonist know, he gives me a lift home from every rehearsal and there on Fridays. Phil always tells people if he has heard from players, sometimes though he does say he hasn't heard from anyone :(
  12. Totally agree with you there, text messages are so easy to make, it takes more guts to phone someone up and make an excuse = better turn outs!! Better still, make the person you have to phone the musical director, he will know whats more important!!! lol and hopefully raise a bit of fear amongst the players so they have to show up - and if more people show up at rehearsals, you get a better atmosphere and the band goes up a strength!!! :clap: Thats my view anyway
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2007
  13. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

Hear Hear!
    When my band (Delph) did Butlins, we had 3 weeks of full rehearsals before the contest, full sectionals, extra rehearsals and the week before the contest, we didn't have any extra rehearsals, the work had been done, Phil was satisfied, we were satisfied and we were comfortable.
  14. Baritonedeaf

Baritonedeaf Member

We have a book to put missed rehearsals in - or you tell Auntie Barbara!
  15. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

That's such a cool idea!
    I run a music service youth wind band and have slowly but surely been educating the kids/parents to let me know in advance either by email, text (they have my mobile number) or telephone no later than 1 hour before the start of rehearsal if they are unable to attend. Generally this works really well as I always make sure that I announce the apologies at the start of our full rehearsal (we have small group practice first). If a reason has been given I tell the other members what it is and if no reason was offered I tell them that too. The kids make their own minds up about whether they think a player is letting the group down by missing practice. They can be quite tough on each other!
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2007
  16. nook1938

nook1938 Supporting Member

Reading through these threads it shows that most Bands have a Notification Policy in place which seems to work and there are some very good idea's coming forward. One excuse I heard was a chap could not come to practice because his Bass had broken down, a valve was stuck and it would take him all night to fix it, it came to light that he was cleaning it , had all the valves undone , forgot and turned it upside down and all the valves fell out and none of the valves was numbered or marked so he got them mixed up and it did take him all night to sort it.
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2007
  17. caramelbunny

caramelbunny Member

I get that that wasn't meant 100% seriously....but if the reason people go to band is because they are too scared not to maybe it's time for them to have a re-think.
    I often think poor attendance masks an under-lying problem for that person, have done it myself in the past when I've not been happy....but I think the time I go to rehearsal because I am too scared not to go will be the time I leave my instrument and uniform in the bandroom on the back way out :rolleyes:
  18. persins

persins Member

We don't have a set method for reporting absence but the default is to let the secretary or MD know. Most people manage to cope with this and all known absenses are reported at the start of the rehearsal.
    We generally have well attended rehearsals although becuase a number of the band travel long distances, not everyone is there ready to start at 8pm.
  19. Didn't quite mean it like that!! Ok, see your point. End of the day, if people want to go to band they'll show up, those who dont enjoy it wont, and if there's more people at rehearsals then I reckon people would enjoy it more and then show up... you just need to find that first step of getting them there! Didn't mean to sound so serious about the subject, sorry!!!!
  20. tinytimp

tinytimp Member

As Personnel Manager it's me that gets all our apologies for absences, usually via text - but I like the idea of encouraging phonecalls! Everybody's quite good at saying if they won't be there, I very rarely get last minute messages. Our band is quite good at reporting lateness too, I'll usually get a call if those players who travel long distances are running late.
    The problem is then if I'm not there I have to forward on the apologies! We usually have a run through the apologies in our short break midway through rehearsal.