Notation in Schools

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Leyfy, Apr 8, 2008.

Do you think standard treble clef notation should be taught in secondary school?

1. Yes, I learnt notation and I think kids should.

2. Yes, I learnt notation and I think kids shouldn't have to.

0 vote(s)
  3. No, I didn't learn notation but I think kids should.

4. No, I didn't learn notation and I think kids shouldn't have to.

1. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

Just interested?

How many of you learnt to read notation in lower secondary school? (As in, what we now call KS3)

Do you think kids SHOULD learn to read the notes on the stave regardless of whether they play a musical instrument, or should music just be a 'practical' subject?
  2. HaleStorm

HaleStorm Member

I learned to read music in primary school, but i think it would always be beneficial for every child to be able to read treble clef music regardless of whether they actually play an instrument or not. Learning this skill will probably be much more likley to tempt kids into playing instruments when they see the musical notation is not that hard to decifer and read.
  3. Mr_Euniverse

Mr_Euniverse Member

You learn to read music by playing an instrument. You learn ABOUT music in music lessons. Vast difference.
    There is no need to teach students who don't play anything staff notation because they won't use it and most of them can't even read english nowadays!!
    ****** youth of today!
  4. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

I also learnt in Primary school as that is where I learnt to play.

in Secondary school they made a half hearted attempt at teaching us notation. Those of us who could do it already got on ok, those who couldn't just didn't.

Thinking back I think it was a bit of a fiasco. Try teaching 30 kids to read music when you got most of them not bothering and just smacking hell out of the glockenspiels we were given to practise on.
  5. on_castors

on_castors Member

It was recorders all the way when I was in secondary school, so in theory all were supposed to learn notation, although some struggled more than others.

I always thought early on (age 11-13) music was reasonably "done" at my school, but after that it was allowed to go by the wayside apart from those actively involved in playing insturments. as a result very few ever went as far as 'O' level Music
  6. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

Yes, thats kind of my problem at GCSE. Some of the students want to take Music and struggle with the written aspect when it comes to composition. I do teach notation a little in the lower school at the moment but then I am rather lucky as I only have classes of 18 (yes, I do teach in a bog standard comprehensive, not a private school!).

As for the comment of "There is no need to teach students who don't play anything staff notation because they won't use it and most of them can't even read english nowadays!!" - please see my comment in the 'Stereotypes' thread!!!!! ;)
  7. leisa

leisa Active Member

I learnt in primary school through recorder as well. In high school gcse we had some in our class who struggled readnig music...they were generally the ones who wanted to be pop stars :-S
  8. Alisop

Alisop Member

I don't teach standard notation to all KS3 students but do encourage students to use it. I think that don't learn to write before you can speak and creative skills should be developed. At KS3 some students compositions are hampered as they feel they can only compose what they can write down and often their composition practical and creative abilities are far beyond their notation abilities.

I learnt to read Music at home when I was in primary school because my mum taught me to play recorder and it all developed from their
  9. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Although I didn't learn it until Secondary, I actually think that they should start to learn notation as early as possible. We are supposed to be able to get classes of 30 kids to learn notation in Y7 and it can be a real nightmare. Depends on the year group, though as to how successful it is.