Not good enough - how would you feel???

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Rebel Tuba, Oct 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rebel Tuba

Rebel Tuba Member

Okay guys so I'm not good enough to join the band I have been trialing with, how should I feel??? Let down :frown: , angry :mad: ???? Not at all :D .

6 weeks of absolute pleasure at playing some proper music, and playing it well. I've met the nicest bunch of guys and gals that you would ever wish to meet as a collective, and played under one of the youngest (if not tallest) most talented MD you could ever have.

Yeah I'm sad :( that I couldn't offer more, but hey ho thats life.

Thanks a lot guys I had the time of my life, played the best I have ever done and really, really enjoyed myself :D :D.

Great result this weekend and i was proud to be part of it, onwards and upwards

2. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

I don't think there's anything to be sad about if

A. a band doesn't think you're of a suitable standard.
    B. your man enough to appreciate that fact.

Sounds like you had a great time and that's the important thing, it takes honesty and nerve on both sides to admit to the facts and deal with it.

Hope you find a new band soon that is more at your level. Good Luck.
    Care to mention which band it was that you had such a good time with? Good friendly bands deserve a mention I think.

3. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

Take the positives, you got pleasure playing with a top band and you obviously wanted it to continue. Firstly i would ask WHY you weren't good enough, so then you know exactly what you need to improve on.
    Then i would say to myself i'm not good enough now but one day i'll be back and i will be good enough!! You have a point to prove to them so a lot of hard graft and you can make them regret the decision!

4. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

So what Junior band are you playing with now Chris...;);)

hehehehehehe

5. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

The Junior band rejected me as well... :(

I'm only good enough to play with a group of French horn players because they said they wanted a proper brass instrument in there ensemble, no matter how bad the playing. :tup

I will play C major one day...i will.

6. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

That's right mate.... keep telling yourself this... go on...:)

7. Di

Di Active Member

*cough* Excuse me Mr MusicMan Sir, we're supposed to be discussing Mr Tuba's feelings here! :rolleyes: *cough*

Hey there, do excuse the rabble! Its fantastic that you've been out and contested with the band, and enjoyed every minute of it, but a shame you didn't make it to a permanent seat. I agree with Chris, you should try and find out why, and try and make the relevant improvements, and certainly do try again. Does this mean you're left without a band at the moment, did you resign from another band to take this place?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2005
  8. Vickitorious

Vickitorious Active Member

dooon't be sad! lets face it, you've probably got a lot out of the experience! keep that experience and just keep working and try again in a while!! :)

Until then..:biggrin: smile! :biggrin:

9. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I agree with what's already been said - don't let it get you down, just treasure the memories and look to the future. There's many who would love the chance to have a go, even to share a few practices, never mind take part in - and win - a contest.

[confession time] I had a pm inviting me to dep with a band at short notice . . . but didn't pick up the message until it was too late to do anything about it :mad: [/confession time]

10. Rebel Tuba

Rebel Tuba Member

Thanks guys for the reply (even the "off-track" comments by MusicMan).

time to sit and assess what I want to do. I've had some good years under some great MDs and may be now its time to put that experience back in to the grass roots of the movement back in the lower sections????

I know I wont struggle to get a place in a local band, after all i'm a pretty useful monster bass player (not so pretty pretty though), but do I want it. Well of course i do, but there are other things i could do - nijitsu, Am Dram, bell ringing etc... or just spend the time with the wife and nipper (okay so playing is looking the better option so far)

Which ever way I go Rebel tuba will not disappear (sorry to thoses who were hoping otherwise ;) )

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    bunch
    guys
    :D :D
    pleasure
    one
  12. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

And lets hope your musical talent is better than your choice in football teams... ;)

13. Rebel Tuba

Rebel Tuba Member

LOL - Thats cheered me up, thanx

14. flower girl

flower girl Member

i have to agree!!! i have to put up with the torture of lufc at my boyf's home. ITS AWFUL

15. JR

JR Member

Just interested - which band was it?
    and why did it take them 6 weeks to decide that you were not up to the job?
    Not the way we used to do things at my old band (s)
    Did they tell you in advance that you were on a 6 week trial?

john r

16. Steve

Steve Active Member

Dont get mad about it, when you do get the chair it will jsut be a clear indication of the progress you keep making!!!

I always wanted to play for Rigid Containers as they were the best local band but was no where near good enough. Several years later I was sat playing solo baritone at the Open with them (although Travelsphere by then) and boy did that initial rejection make the whole day seem sweeter.

Chin up chap

17. skimbleshanks

skimbleshanks Member

Once I had a stand-in peri teacher come to my school. I was studying for Grade 8 at the time and so he took my name and number. Then a couple of months later I got a call from him, saying that they had a solo horn vacancy and that he wanted me to audition for it. So I went along and failed miserably: I couldn't double or triple tongue and couldn't get above a top G or A. They told me there and then that I wasn't good enough. So I was really miffed, especially since they'd invited me.

Anyway just after that I started with a different teacher who had me restructure my embouchure and sorted out a whole load of other problems and a couple of years later I was playing solo horn on Blitz with a Championship section band.

You'll get there (with a couple of hard day's nights and a little help form your friends).

18. HBB

HBB Active Member

There's hope for me still then!

19. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

There's one bit of information I need to fully understand the situation ... were you signed by the band to play at the contest or were you guesting? You were certainly considered good enough to be part of a winning team on the contesting day, if that's any consolation.

20. Rebel Tuba

Rebel Tuba Member

Its not a problem with which band, thats not important. I knew I was on a trial period upto and including a contest last weekend, so once again no problem there.

It was a great experience and one that i would be mad not to have taken.

The thing is, they play better than anyone in the area, they choreograph performances and get the audience to join in, which is what I want, no need to do.

One one else does it in the surrounding bands and will I be happy just playing a static concert to half full halls.

to sum it all up, as Brassneck says I went out as a winning team member and would not swap it for anything.

21. BassBlaster

BassBlaster Member

It is nice playing for a very good band, something to remember.

And as far as I recall, you are at least as good as me, hahahaha.
    So you will be able to play in any section locally if you managed 6 weeks with the band that you played with.
    Oh yes Lydbrook, still need a BBb I think and they will get promotion next year, in my humble opinion.
    They won in the 1st section in the same contest as you know.
    On the other hand, we at Wotton need an EEb if you want to take a step down in playing at the top level, anything other than a BBb bass is a step down.
    As for football, Swindon Town I do belive rool.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    bunch
    guys
    :D :D
    pleasure
    one
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.