Not going to Derby, going to Coventry ;)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Jan H, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Just a quick question for the English people on here...
    What is the closest international airport near Derby? Birmingham perhaps? Or Nottingham? It should be directly reacheable from Brussels!

(I will probably be in Derby for about 1,5 week, in the second half of October. If the project timing permits it, I would be interested in visiting a local band during the week or weekend...)
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2006
  2. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Think you will find East Midlands Airport is the nearest Jan.
  3. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

East midlands airport which is about 8 miles from derby
    we are local to derby, about 8 miles away (LOng Eaton)
    you are welcome any wednesday evening
  4. postie

postie Member

Yes I will agree with everyone else East Midlands Airport will be the best for you. If you are free on Tuedays and Thursdays you are more than welcome to come to Bestwood Black Diamonds based 10 minutes from J26 of the M1 for a blow.
  5. Jan H

Thanks, there seems to be a BMI flight from Brussels to East Midlands, so I'll probably use that one...

Thanks for the offers so far. I will be visiting the Rolls-Royce factory to do some measurements on a couple of jet engine parts. I don't know yet were I'll be staying or if I'll have any means of transportation (or available time...), but I will certainly bring my cornet along! I'll keep in touch...
  6. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

...and due to the new hand luggage regulations you'll be able to bring it with you but they won't let you take it home - it'll have to go in the hold - oh dear, hope your insurance is up to date.
  7. Jan H

Are you sure? :( There are no liquids in it...

I've taken it to the US and to China before without problems (but I did put the valve oil in my suitcase...)
  8. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Could take very little out when I recently flew to Baden-Baden but coming back no problem

Pocket-sized wallets/ purses, plus contents
    Passports/ travel tickets
    Prescription medicines, not in liquid form unless verified as authentic
    Essential medical items, eg diabetic kit
    Glasses & sunglasses, no cases
    Contact lens holders, no solution
    Baby food & milk for those with infants - bottle contents must be tasted by accompanying passenger
    Essential sanitary items for infants
    Female sanitary items, unboxed
    Tissues, unboxed, or handkerchiefs
    Keys, but no electric key fobs

updated to allow carrying of mobile phones and computers now

Just remember that the UK follow every rule whilst the rest of the world just make it up as they go along - might be worth checking that it can be carried as hand luggage - shame to have to leave it at the airport.

and hot of the press today:

Fliers face uncertainty over relaxed security measures

Uncertainty continues over how the security arrangements relating to carry-on luggage at UK airports will change in the coming days, The Times reports.
    The Government wants to ease the regulations so that passengers can take a larger carry-on bag and musical instruments into the cabin, as well as liquids such as toothpaste and contact lens fluid carried in a clear plastic bag.
    However, airport bosses believe that allowing liquids on board would increase greatly the time it takes to carry out security checks and merely add to the problem.

"This would double the amount of items being x-rayed," an airport executive told the newspaper. "It would be a big addition to the workload of security staff who are already flat out with extra body searches and shoe searches."
    The change to increase the size of carry-on bags is not being opposed by airports, however.
    Tighter security measures were introduced five weeks ago following the alleged terror plot to blow up aircraft using liquid explosives.
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2006
  9. Jan H

Hmm, I better make sure then before I leave.

Is there anyone else one here who tried to fly with his instruments as hand luggage recently?
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2006
  10. picju96

picju96 Member

yeah, they wouldn't let me take my cornet on as hand luggage 2 weeks ago so I left it behind with my parents. Thought that was preferable than putting it in the hold. I'll get it back in a couple of weeks when they come over with a car, so it's not too bad
  11. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Good news Jan - the UK government have changed the hand luggage rules AGAIN - you can now take larger size hand luggage and musical instruments though you still wont be allowed to take any valve oil.

"The dimensions of the hand luggage must not exceed 56cm x 45cm x 25cm (22in x 17.7in x 9.8in approx), including wheels, handles and side pockets. This is equivalent to the size of a small roller suitcase.
    Other bags, such as handbags, may be carried within the single item of cabin baggage. All items carried by passengers will be screened by X-ray. Musical instruments are now allowed. However, they will have to be screened separately"
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2006
  12. Jan H

Thanks Francis. I will also check with our company's travel agency before leaving.

Bert van Thienen told me that when he went to the British Open to play with YBS, he had to check in his soprano cornet with his other luggage.

I could also take a bigger suitcase, and put my cornet case inside the big suitcase, with plenty of bubble wrap around it.

Btw I've been told that my trip will not be to Derby, but to a factory near Coventry. So same question as before: which airport (I guess it will be Birmingham...), any local bands? ;)
  13. postie

postie Member

Hi Jan yes it would probably be Birmingham but a nice new airport was built and opened at Coventry in the last couple of years. So it might be worth checking that out to see if you could get a flight to there would save you a bit of messing around!!!
  14. Jan H

OK, (almost) everything is finally settled now. I'll be coming to Coventry next Monday evening, staying until November 15th (if no major disasters happen during the measurements ;) ). I'm visiting the Rolls-Royce facilities in Ansty (just North-East of Coventry, close to the M6 / M69 junction)

It looks like the weekdays will be really action-packed, so I doubt if there will be much time to visit any bands during the week. But the friday evening and the weekend (11/12 November) should be free.

Are there any interesting things to do in the area? Maybe a concert to go to or a band that rehearses on Friday or in the weekend? (I can bring my cornet, but don't expect Roger Webster! ;) ). Or maybe someone just wants to go for a drink...?

For the rest of the weekend, someboby already advised me about the Coventry Transport Museum and I was thinking of maybe going to Stratford-upon-Avon as well, or is that just a tourist trap?

Anyway, I'm hoping to meet some tMPers!
  15. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Depending how much of a big kid you are, Warwick Castle is very good. I loved it, but then I grew up in North Wales and have a thing about castles.;)
  16. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

The cathedral is also worth a visit, although I'm not sure if all the displays are up and running, as they were revamping them last time I was there. I'd also endorse the suggestions of Stratford and Warwick, and Kennilworth isn't that far away either.
  17. Jan H

I saw on the map that the cathedral is not that far from the transportation museum, so I'll probably walk by there as well ;)
  18. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Has anyone explained to Jan exactly what "being sent to Coventry" means?:D
  19. Di

Di Active Member

Haha, no, I bet not. :rolleyes:
  20. Jan H

no, indeed it hasn't...