Not allowed to use Blue Juice valve oil

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by MrGinjaNinja, Oct 23, 2014.

1. MrGinjaNinja

MrGinjaNinja New Member

Anyone else had their MD tell them specifically that they are not to use Blue Juice on their valves?

I'm quoting him directly here -
    , although Blue Juice themselves advertise it as a non corrosive. It's all I've ever used since I started to play and many people that I know also use it and we've never had any problems with it.

A very quick Google search doesn't seem to throw up anything about corrosion, just wondering if anyone had anything to share about it. I'm asking as it appears that it will be written into player contracts soon that we don't use it.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Blue Juice
    Blue Juice valve oil
    quick Google search
    corrosion
    player contracts
  3. Ianroberts

Ianroberts Well-Known Member

Sounds like a 2nd Baritone players dream to me, yet another stock excuse!

4. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Stick to spit, it always worked for me :) (I do use oil these days I must admit, basswuss eh ?)

~ Mr Wilx

5. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

Who owns the instrument? If it's the band's property then maybe they have a right to specify (and provide?) an approved product. If it's a personally owned instrument I would do as you are right now, canvas other users and also ask the manufacturer to publicly respond (maybe as a guest to this Forum?). If this is an urban legend then they would likely be aware of it and want to respond. Does the manufacturer have a website? They should also address it their if they do.

6. Tom-King

Tom-King Well-Known Member

Not heard that one before...

Wouldn't use Blue Juice to begin with though (personally) as:
    a) It smells horrid
    b) I find my valves run a lot better with Ultrapure.

Is it the conductors place to specify your oil?
    Even if it's the bands property, isn't this something for the bandmaster (if you have one) or something to go through the committee? I would've thought it'd fall outside the conductors remit in most bands.

7. BrianT

BrianT Member

Blue Juice is not the problem.

It's neglect and lack of maintenance that cause corrosion and seized parts.

Every time I play I loosen and then retighten top and bottom valve caps and buttons and valve stems and move all the slides, checking that everything that's supposed to move actually does. That way you can tell if any moving part needs oil or grease. Wash out regularly too.

It's when regular maintenance is neglected that people try more extreme things to get their instruments working again - viakal or some other acidic cleaner, which will cause corrosion unless absolutely every trace is washed off.

8. GordonH

GordonH Member

I ran a trumpet on Bluejuice solely for 13 years and they were as good as new after those 13 years. I have since changed to Ultrapure as I think it doesn't evaporate as quickly - useful for instruments that don't get used often.

9. Cornet Nev.

Cornet Nev. Member

I have heard that in the past, the bluejuice used to leave a blue coloured sediment, which could eventually stiffen or even seize the valves, however in the odd repairs and maintenance I do where the owner uses bluejuice, I have never seen any residue or other problems.

10. The Godfather

The Godfather Member

Just the marks from your pipe grips eh?CIAOCORLEONE.

11. Ianroberts

Ianroberts Well-Known Member

Not to mention the hammer and chisel marks to "ease" those stuborn valves eh :sup

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Blue Juice
    Blue Juice valve oil
    quick Google search
    corrosion
    player contracts
  13. The Godfather

The Godfather Member

Well, you know what they say Ian, and in Nev's case it's true.Those who can play em do.Those who can't, advise others how to play em!CIAOCORLEONE.

14. Cornet Nev.

Cornet Nev. Member

Quite often I see the marks from someone else's pipe grips and do what little that can be done to remove them, badly chewed valve caps are better replaced than any attempt at removing marks.
    However a decent valve oil, whatever the make, is far better to the overall instrument than those who spit on sticky valves. It just eventually makes things worse as the gunge in spit dries up.

Oh, and incidentally, I can play, I just got fed up of the stress of contesting and stopped.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  15. BrianT

BrianT Member

Ouch...

Many years ago I played regularly in a big band. The first trumpet player had a Strad. One week I noticed him stopping every so often to take one of his valves out to oil it, as it kept sticking. When I asked him about it, he said that earlier he'd removed the valve and then tried to undo the valve stem (which is made of threaded aluminium on the Strad). Finding it a bit hard to undo with his fingers, he'd put a screwdriver through one of the valve ports and used pliers on the knurled part of the valve stem. Sure, it came undone, but the force required had distorted the valve. And the only way of fixing that would be having the valve lapped. I still wince...

My theory about Blue Juice is that people neglect their instrument for years, then when they try to undo a slide or screw discover that it has seized. They smother the instrument in Blue Juice hoping for a miracle. When that fails they ask someone else to look at it. If several people present Blue Juice basted instruments then one (unsafe) conclusion is that it's the fault of the Blue Juice that the instruments are in the state they're in...

16. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Member

It just goes to show that valve oil choice is critical.maybe bands could be more clear about theoil their md thinks is best when advertising on here for new players to avoid any unpleasantness?

17. The Godfather

The Godfather Member

Ah yes Cornet Nev, but WHAT can you play? Dominoes ? Marbles ? You must be a man of great ability and experience to be able to make such authoritative pronouncements on the care and maintenance, not to mention the performance of the cornet. How many years have you been oiling and not spitting on your valves? I can't remember seeing anyone called NEV on the top chair at The Dyke, Fodens, B&R. Where have you been hiding was it at GRIMEY ??? a very appropriate venue I think.

CIAO,
    CORLEONE.

18. Bbmad

Bbmad Active Member

Ingenious, quite ingenious

19. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Active Member

Does being able to play very well really have much to do with how good you are at repairing instruments? As far as I know Mick Rath doesn't play in a Championship Band but he does make some of the best Trombones money will buy and his repair work is amongst the best too. In fact it seems to be the norm for musicical instrument makers and technicans to be skilled in engineering, and maybe elements of physics, rather than playing.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  20. Bbmad

Bbmad Active Member

That's crazy talk. Its like the real world, for example why do Formula 1 Racing Teams have mechanics when clearly the only people qualified for such work are the drivers themselves?

21. Bbmad

Bbmad Active Member

That's wordwang!

22. The Godfather

The Godfather Member

I refer here to Cornetto Nev's advice on actually playing the cornet. It is in another post so I understand your comment. I agree, being able to play may not have much to do with repairing instruments. Repairing instruments is indeed a very skilled engineering operation, and should not be attempted by ham-fisted 'kitchen-sink' bodgers. regardless of how good they think they are. Some people just continue to trot out well meaning 'advice' when they know little about the subject!
    CIAO,
    CORLEONE.