Norwegian Championships 2004

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by The Cornet King, Dec 3, 2003.

1. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

Just looking at the bands taking part in the elite section for the norwegian Championships 2004.

The set work is apparently a piece called "Graffiti". Anyone know anything about this piece??

I also notice that in the list of own choice works, one band has chosen to play 'Apocalypse' by Derek Bourgeois. I'm guessing this is going to be Eikanger Bjorsviik or Stavanger Brass. I look forward to listening to how they perform it! :D

I always listen with interest as i know the top Norwegian bands are certainly capable of challenging the best that we have. Past Norwegian Championship CD's have been excellent.

Any views??? :D
  2. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

Quote from 4barsrest for
    "CD Review:
    Norwegian Contemporary Music for Brass Band
    Manger Musikklag
    Bjorn Sagstead
    GR CD 03"

"The title track of the disc, ‘Graffiti’ by Knut Vaage is to be used for the Norwegian Championships in 2004 and is terrific music, and it would not be a surprise if this twelve-minute piece was utilised in competition in the UK in the not too distant future. It depends on the individuals’ background as to how they define ‘graffiti’. The question of whether or not it is it pure acts of vandalism or perhaps as you will see on walls and bridges nowadays ‘street art’ comes to mind. Having listened to the music, this individual gets the impression depicts ‘graffiti’ as the latter with plenty of drama, different mood swings and different tempos."

Hope that helps,
  3. Yeah, it's always fun listening at the norwegians. They always have a band playing Montage :D Which I really really like ;)
  4. Active Member

My guess is that Apocalypse will be the choice of whichever Norwegian band David King conducts.
  5. ted

ted Member

I find it hard to believe that no one picked a Philip Sparke piece!