Norton Internet Security Problems

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by meandmycornet, Jan 28, 2006.

1. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

Hello people,

I downloaded Norton Internet Security 2006, the other day but it won't install, I keep getting a message saying

'this product requires Windows 2000 Service Pack 3 or greater or a 32-bit version of windows XP. Setup will exit. For upgrades or service packs, contact microsoft at:

www.microsoft.com/windows

Setup will now exit.'

I have windows XP and I've been to that website and downloaded and installed various service packs and its still not working :( what do I do? :tongue: Somebody must be clever and know!

Fi
    xx

2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- hmmmm! I thought Service Pack 3 wasn't being released until later next year?

3. meandmycornet

thats service pack three for windows 2000, not XP, there is only service pack 2 for windows XP! So why is it saying that when I have XP? :|

4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- oops! I never read your post properly. I cannot explain why NAV won't install on your pooter if the OS is up to date.

5. meandmycornet

Its ok..... its finally decided to work :D:D:D

6. bagpuss

bagpuss Active Member

There is a very easy fix to this problem and one for which I'm sure you'll thank me at a later date:

DON'T USE NORTON!!!

Of all the problems I've had over the years with computers and of all the peoples computers I go and attempt to repair and make work again, I'd say that at least 75% of the problems are caused by Norton or AOL:mad: . Therefore, I no longer allow Norton products anywhere near my machines:evil: . And for anyone who has Norton and is experiencing problems with it and has tried to remove it from their system but can't: go to the symantec web site if at all possible and search for and download a piece of software called symNRT. This is the symantec Norton Removal Tool and works pretty well. In fact, Id go so far as to say it's the only piece of software to come from symantec which actually does what it says it's going to without screwing something else up in the process.

:ranting2: :ranting2: :ranting2: :ranting2: :ranting2: :ranting2:

ssupgab

7. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

Errrrmmm..... As an "IT professional" ;-) haha I'm afraid I have to concur! The most system heavy "security" solution I've seen, and the root of many problems!

8. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Thirded

9. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Aye, I have heard similar things re Norton Security. I use McAfee VS Pro and have found this to be fine for what I need. Sophos is also another excellent product.

10. Bungle

Bungle Member

I have heard similar things about Norton from my colleages, one of who used ghost to do a backup of his hard drive, when it came to recover, it didn't work.

Why pay for Norton when you can get similar cover for free. I get McAffee security free with Wanadoo, use AVG for anti-virus, Zone Alarm for firewall and Ad-Aware for spyware. Someone will probably say the coverage isn't as good but its good enough for home use I think.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Norton Internet Security 2006
    Norton
    windows XP
    Windows 2000
    Service Pack 3
  12. TheMusicMan

^^^ I'd tend to agree with that Bungle, with the exception perhaps that it may be better to go with the full suite from Sophos or McAfee. But I'd say what you have is what you'd need as a minimum for home PC and internet security protection.

Reminders:
    Never give any of your passwords to anyone.
    Change your tMP password regularly
    Don't use common or well known dates of phrases for your passwords, try to use a combination of letters and numbers

There's a useful thread her eon tMP that contains a listing of all the useful Spyware and protection software you can get at for home use. Click here for the link.

So, keep safe everyone!

13. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

John, on the point of tMP passwords, I've never changed mine. O've never been prompted to, though.

Perhaps this is something you could/should look into?

14. Will the Sec

PS, having used Norton since it was owned by Norton, the 2006 suite just crashes everything else, and worse refuses to allow the machine to properly shut down.

So, I've uninstalled it completely bar the Anti Virus, and reinstalled the Free Zone Alarm firewall.

Any one got any tips for free system checking programmes?

15. dyl

dyl Active Member

Yes you have - just there, above!

16. TheMusicMan

It is an option gor me WIll, I can turn on auto password renewal after 'n' days... will think about that one.

Here's a useful link for you from the tMP Library section... it shows handy free and commercial apps for security, spyware, antispam etc... hope you find it useful.

http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/showthread.php?t=9303

17. Will the Sec

Fnar, fnar.

That's only effective where the thread is read.

I was, as you well know, suggesting an auto prompt. ;)

18. hazybass

hazybass New Member

i had NORTON 2005 loaded on my pc and its the biggest bag of s@@t ive ever had i couldnt go on the chat rooms or get on here since getting rid of it i can go most anywhere why is NORTON so tight

19. bagpuss

bagpuss Active Member

For anyone who cares, I'm running Zone Alarms full security suite (don't bother with the anti spyware part of it, it's rubbish), I have ad-aware SE professional, Spybot SD, Spyware Blaster and CW Shredder. All this plus the built in firewall on the router and 128bit WEP encryption on my wireless network. They all seem to do the job for me. Zone alarms even plays nice with the inbuilt windows firewall (which I also use), something which is more than can be said for many other products.

Puss