Northumbria or York uni?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by horn-girlie, Jan 27, 2006.

1. horn-girlie

horn-girlie Member

Hi all! i'm off to uni to do nursing in September, and have decided on either York or Northumbria. I really like both the places, and so dont know which to choose If any of you have been to or know anything about either place please let me know! thanks
    xxx

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    uni
    York
    all
    nursing
    anything
  3. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

Northumbria is a great place and a good uni. Our band practices very close to there too so you would have no trouble joining a band! The hospital in Newcastle are fantastic and there are quite a few. I know if you moved to the north east you will have a great time. I moved up here 5 years ago and I never want to leave. Our conductor also come up here to uni and stayed - Its the kind of place that is so great that people stay.

4. horn-girlie

horn-girlie Member

thanks! northumbria looks great, and there seems to be a few bands in the area (was looking on t'internet earlier!) ooh, so harf to decide!!

5. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Northumbria is a good uni, i've got quite a few mates from home who go there. The uni has just got a load of money and are building loads of new accommodation and other stuff just outside the city centre.

Plus Newcastle is an ace place, its not too big but big enough, excellent night life (just avoid the boat!). Plus as has been said there are quite a few bands within a 20 mile radius of Newcastle.

Good luck with your choice, I know how nerve racking choosing a uni can be! :D

6. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

I'd defo go for Northumbria. Its a pretty good uni, having shaken the former Poly tag that others have failed to do.

As for the city, I love it to bits, I would have loved to have been a student in Newcastle if I hadn't already lived in the area. I just wanted to go to uni away from the area. Glad I'm back now though.

As Andy said, there's a range of bands in the area and all are generally welcoming and a great laugh. There's a shortage of players in the area so you'll be welcomed with open arms!

Whilst, clearly biased I would say that York is a delightful city and a canny night out, but in my experience is perhaps a little small to host a large student body. Whereas Newcastle has the attraction of a larger city whilst retaining the friendly party atmosphere along with a compact and accessible city centre, as well as providing a number of distinct drinking areas to suit your mood! (EG, Central Station Area, Quayside, Biggmarket, Gate, Haymarket, Jesmondo, Times Square, Ouseburn)

7. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

I love the unbiased postings!

Joking aside, I would say (as someone who lives in York and worked in Newcastle for a good chunk of time between 2000 and 2004) go and have a look at both cities. Both of them have good a good deal to offer, but in different ways.

It is a good night out in Newcastle, there is no denying the fact, but the student population of York don't seem to complain about nights out there either.

That said, maybe you should be looking at the content of the course / what the universities themselves have to offer. I'm not sure but that might be useful.

In terms of banding (and in the interests of fair play), there are 3 bands in York (Shepherds, York RI and Ebor) plus a host of bands on the doorstep (including South Milford, Imps, Rothwell Temps, Garforth Community etc) most of which draw on players from the York area, so there is no shortage of opportunity to play.

The most important thing is what do you think....

8. horn-girlie

horn-girlie Member

Thanks for all the comments guys! I really dont know what to think about the two! both places seem nice, and the courses are the same. I've also been looking at Oxford Brookes (to make things a little more confusing!) but think i'm still between York + Northumbria! The sport + nightlife at Northumbria seems to be winning at the moment, but York seems nice too! oooh, i dont know!!!

9. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

I would strongly recommend anyone applying to university to think about the reputation of the uni's and the courses they are applying to. Get into the best university you can - the bottom line is there are now hundreds of graduates and where you get your degree from makes (and will certainly even more so in the near future) a massive difference. I wouldn't like to make any comments on your uni's as I don't know much about them. Don't con yourself into thinking just because you have a degree you are employable - being a graduate isn't a great selling point (too many of them) but being a good graduate is - sorry for the negative note (too many students and UCAS applications!!!) Good luck on finding the right place for you :tup

10. bigcol

bigcol Member

As someone from your part of the world (Altrincham) who went to uni up here, Newcastle gets a massive thumbs up - it's just so vibrant yet the cost of living is really low. Transport is ace with the Metro and I loved it so much here I stayed. I've been to lots of things at Northumbria and have never found anything negative to say.

You also have a really big choice of bands - most of the region's bands are commutable from Newcastle. I wouldn't be doing my job though if I didn't mention my band are the only band actually in Newcastle (cough cough splutter splutter!) :redface: and 400 yards from a Metro station (more cough cough splutter splutter!) :biggrin:

11. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

^What she said:clap:
    Important though it is to ensure that the social side of uni is sorted, you'll probably find that most areas with a student population manage to whip up a good social scene even in the butt-end of nowhere. An equally important point is to check out the respective reputations of the departments you'll be studying at. Look at the Sunday Times University Guide as a starting point: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/section/0,,8403,00.html
    They rate York as 7th in the UK and Northumbria as 54th overall for quality of teaching, research and student dropout rates, etc.. Plus York is rated 5 for research in Nursing by the HEFC, along with Newcastle (but not Northumbria), Sheffield and Manchester, meaning that the staff are regularly producing research work and papers of international significance. Also go and have a good look around and see whether you like the "feel" of the place, Newcastle & York are only an hour apart by train so you could potentially do both in a day trip?

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    uni
    York
    all
    nursing
    anything
  13. horn-girlie

horn-girlie Member

Good point + thanks for the help! i was sort of put off looking at university guides though, because the Times/Guadian/other newspaper guides had unis in completely different orders! thanks for the help tho everyone!
    xxx