Northern Open Entertainment Contest

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Joe Soap, May 15, 2008.

1. Joe Soap

Joe Soap Member

Does anyone have a list of competing bands for the contest on 25th May in Carnoustie?

2. catto09

catto09 Member

This is northern Counties, yes?

Band No.NameSectionConductor1Arbroath InstrumentalFirstMicheal Robertson2Arbroath Instrumental Youthnone. Adj. onlyAnn Ness3Bon Accord SilverChampionshipJohn Maines4Bon Accord BThirdBruce Wallace5Buckhaven and Methil Brass band ThirdGordon Evans MBE6Clackmannan District BrassFirstP Kiernan7Coalburn Silver BandThirdGareth Bowman8Dundee InstrumentalThirdEoin Tonner9Granite City BrassFirstAlan Haggart10The Johnstone BandSecondRaymond Tennant11Kirkintilloch Kelvin BrassFirstCharles Keenan12Newmilns and GalstonChampionshipAlec McCutcheon13Perthshire BrassSecondGeorge Annan14Renfrew Burgh BandForthDavid Huchison15Shotts St Patrick's BrassSecondGareth Bowman16Tullis Russell Mills BandSecondGavin Lindsay
  3. catto09

catto09 Member

I assume you want the Northern Counties?

Arbroath Instrumental
    Arbroath Instrumental Youth
    Bon Accord Silver
    Bon Accord B
    Buckhaven and Methil Brass band
    Clackmannan District Brass
    Coalburn Silver Band
    Dundee Instrumental
    Granity City Brass
    The Johnstone Band
    Kirkintilloch Kelvin Brass
    Newmilns and Galston
    Perthshire Brass
    Renfrew Burgh Band
    Shotts St Patrick's Brass
    Tullis Russel Mills Band

for more information go to
  4. Di

Di Active Member

And is if by magic, the Northern Counties is now added to Prediction Central. :)
  5. Joe Soap

Joe Soap Member

Catto09 ,Thank you for the info.

6. bbg

bbg Member

Good to see a 16 strong entry list this year, a year or two back I recall there were only 7 or 8 bands and we were all done by not long after 3pm.
    This year's pre-draw lists the last band (Arbroath Youth?) to be on stage at somewhere around 6.45 so results time will be nearer 7.30pm.
    Looking forward to the new venue - never been in Carnoustie High but told that it is a great facility, more concert hall than school assembly hall. Just won't be the same as the previous venue in Forfar more warming up in the Scout Hut around the corner then hoping that it wasn't raining (we had hailstones two years ago - in May!) for the walk round to the main Hall.
  7. groovy

groovy Active Member

Hi Brian, will be good to see you and PB at the contest, hopefully we will be there in time to hear you play. Good luck!
  8. bbg

bbg Member

Evening Katy - we're on about 2pm (draw 8 so who knows, certain members of our band might not actually sleep in for this one.......can't think who I can mean, can you???!

Best wishes to Clacks for 1st section on the day.
    Last edited: May 16, 2008
  9. bbg

bbg Member

Quiet thread this!

Anyone seen a percussion list for Sunday? Discovered at last rehearsal that I'm "timping" for 3 of our 5 pieces not just the one 'cos there's more glock / xylo etc for another player than I thought, would really appreciate knowing whether I'll have 3 or 4 timps to contend with.....
  10. Moy

Moy Active Member

Really quiet thread - anyone got the full results?
    Got the 1, 2, 3.
    1Bon Accord
    3Kirkintilloch Kelvinside
  11. catto09

catto09 Member

well i know that Granite city came 13th out of the 14th that took part...pfft!
  12. Moy

Moy Active Member

Ooo that's not good.
    Ah well never mind - it's only a contest.
  13. dundee_horn

dundee_horn New Member

I know Dundee Instrumental came last...again - Boo! evil adjudicator. City of Discovery came 7th so not too bad. Trying to find a full list but cant seem to find one anywhere. Will probably be on SBBA tomorrow
  14. Moy

Moy Active Member

Full results - well, minus points!

1. Bon Accord, John Maines
    2. Clackmannan, Paul Kiernan
    3. Kirkintilloch Kelvin, Charles Kennan
    4. Johnstone, Raymond Tennant
    5. Coalburn, Gareth Bowman
    6. Renfrew Burgh, David Hutchison
    7. City of Discovery, ?????
    8. Shotts St Patrick's, Gareth Bowman
    9. Newmilns and Galston, Alec McCutcheon
    10. Arbroath Instrumental, Michael Robertson
    11. Perthshire, George Annan
    12. Tullis Russell Mills, Gavin Lindsay
    13. Granite City, Alan Haggart
    14. Dundee Instrumental, Eoin Tonner

Adjudicator - Kevin Wadsworth
  15. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Not if I don't get an official list they won't.
  16. bbg

bbg Member

Hmm........4th out of 5 2nd Section bands but ahead of a 1st Section....a wee bit disappointing but considering we were two basses light (one away on a school event, the other..????), and also minus our usual solo horn and one regular percussionist, not too bad overall. Thanks to the percussion team from the band before us (Newmilns?) who helpfully advised that "the 2nd timp was a bit stiff to change" - really boosted the confidence of this "debutant" timpanist, that did! In the event, found that using the 4 timps instead of our 3 was actually a great help, cutting down on the retuning considerably.
  17. groovy

groovy Active Member

Didn't like the contest facilities at the hall so all the bands seemed to leave as soon as they had played (including us). Not a great atmosphere - normally we would like to stick around for the results, listen to some other bands etc. But happy with our result :)
  18. Sold-Out-Bari

Sold-Out-Bari New Member

Well done to all bands who survived the day and especially to the winners.

..even more especially to poor Shotts on their nightmare motorway experience

.. but EVEN MORE especially so to our own wee Renfrew Burgh Band for taking so many scalps along the way - 6th overall ain't bad for our 4th section band!! :clap:

And it's on to onwards to Harrogate :-D

19. Missy

Missy New Member

I've never heard the sound of so many hungry tummies as I did on stage on Sunday!! :eek: None of us had anything to each since leaving Johnstone at 10am and we were on stage nearer 3 O'clock....

Felt we were in the middle of nowhere. With a 15/20 mins walk we were sorted!! Not ideal for those less able tho :frown:

Looked like the other bands had the same idea as there was almost nobody in the audience :-?

Everyday is school day.... next year folks ..... wee bacon roll and a cuppa:rolleyes: ?!!

Last edited: May 26, 2008
  20. Nigel Brinklow

Nigel Brinklow New Member

Well done and congratulations to my old band up North, Bon-Accord Silver Band. Good to see you continuing with your winning ways. Who got the best percussion prize this year? I clearly remember wearing the shield as a belt buckle a few years ago when BAPS [Bon-Accord Percussion Section] had won it ... again ;-)