Northern Counties Contest 2013

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by AlanD, May 27, 2013.

1. AlanD

AlanD Member

Does anyone have the full results for yesterday's contest?

Here is what I have

1. Kirkintilloch Kelvin Brass
    2. Bon Accord Silver
    3. Tullis Russell Mills
    4. Kingdom Brass B

Best soloist: Mark Boyd, Bon Accord
    Best soprano: Gordon Kyle, KKB
    Best percussion: Bon Accord
    Entertainment prize: KKB

Best 1st section: Bon Accord
    Best 2nd section: Tullis Russell Mills
    Best 3rd section: kingdom brass b
    Best 4th section: Tullis Russell Intermediate

Well done to the organisers for getting this contest back on the map and to all 11 bands who took part. Great to see Forfar Band back contesting!

2. I spent a very enjoyable day in Kinross yesterday and listened to all the bands and was very impressed by the standard of playing, I thought the bands were a bit on the quiet side but after listening to a few bands people chatting at the coffee bar it would appear it was a very strange acoustic on the stage, you could certainly hear everything and the adjudicator did say it made his job a bit easier.

A few bands really stuck out for me firstly Kirkintilloch Kelvin, very tight and very musical with some excellent soloists around the stands, Tullis I thought were outstanding with a completely different approach to their program which was probably due to a new MD, excellent Solo cornet and horn section. Brass Sounds Inverclyde are another band which just get better and better every time I hear them, and I thought the Tullis Intermediate Band were really very good, Solo Cornet and Flugel were outstanding and the young trombone player sounded very confident. The 13 billion (something..... sorry I can't remember the full title) piece was one of the highlights for me, I've never heard it before and thought it was fantastic.

Good to see Forfar back on stage and also Tayport, I spoke to someone at the coffee bar who said Tayport have had a few issues of late but great to see them back at an entertainment contest. Dunfermline seem to be going through the wars right now but they were there so well done to them, its often to easy just to withdraw. The contest organisor appologised for the contest running a bit late but I thought from a listeners point of view the timings were well handled. Its sometime nice to have a bit of time between bands to reflect on what you have just heard.

Its good to see this contest back on the calendar again and I vividly remember the beach ballroom from th elate 80's with 15 - 20 bands taking part in this contest and a clever idea by the organisors to bring the contest further south to get it established again, well done Richard Kidd and his team ( are there really only 3 people on the NCBBA committee)

A nice venue and what looked from my seat to be a very well run contest.

3. AlanD

AlanD Member

In what was a close run 2013 Northern Counties contest, adjudicator Bryan Allen plumped for Kirkintilloch Kelvin's varied programme featuring Gordon Kyle in the arrangement of 'Live and Let Die' . Directed by Charles Kennan, they retained the Champion's trophy which is becoming very familiar with the journey back to Glasgow. They narrowly pipped Aberdeen based band Bon-Accord Silver, led by Stephen Malcolm, who featured principal trombonist Mark Boyd in 'Bolivar' - a performance that would see Mark take home the Best Soloist prize.

Third place went to Tullis Russell Mills Band under the direction of Paul Drury. The Fife based band finished their entertaining set with a "vocal" and rousing rendition of "They come from the East"

There were section prizes for Kingdom 'B' Band, taking home the best third section band, and Tullis Russell Intermediate Band who won the best fourth section band.

The Northern Counties Open Contest will hopefully be making a permanent return to the contesting schedule, with a date for 2014 already being considered.

Northern Counties Brass Band Contest - Results 2013

Adjudicator Bryan Allen

1. Kirkintilloch Kelvin Band Charles Keenan 90 pts
    2. Bon-Accord Silver Band Stephen Malcolm 89 pts
    3. Tullis Russell Mills Band Paul Drury 86 pts
    4. Kingdom 'B' Band Ken Blackwood 85 pts
    =5. Broxburn & Livingston Band Charlie Farren 84 pts
    =5. Irvine & Dreghorn Band John boax 84 pts
    7. Brass Sounds Inverclyde David Hutcheson 83 pts
    8. Tullis Russell Intermediate Band Steven Craig 82 pts
    =9. Tayport Instrumental Band Frank Culross 80 pts
    =9. Dunfermline Town Band Scott Findlater 80 pts

Best Soloist: Mark Boyd - Trombone Bon-Accord Silver Band
    Best Soprano: Gordon Kyle Kirkintilloch Kelvin Band
    Most Entertaining Programme: Kirkintilloch Kelvin Band
    Best Percussion: Bon-Accord Silver Band

Best NCBBA Member Band: Bon-Accord Silver Band
    Best Non-NCBBA Band: Kirkintilloch Kelvin Band
    Winning Conductor: Charles Keenan Kirkintilloch Kelvin Band
    Best First Section Band: Bon-Accord Silver Band
    Best Second Section Band: Tullis Russell Mills Band
    Best Third Section Band: Kingdom Brass ‘B' Band
    Best Fourth Section Band: Tullis Russell Intermediate Band

4. GordonH

GordonH Member

As an open contest anything could have happened. The top three placings were as I had predicted prior to any of the bands having even played. The range of bands had a broad range of playing ability but there were clearly some very good bands who would have been difficult to beat.

The acoustics were definitely odd. We took some stuff down the octave as we couldn't tell how loud it really was. Plus the air conditioning was blowing the music off the stands.

It was a great day out though.

5. GordonH

GordonH Member

Just to correct that, the conductor on the day was Dave Mcauley.
    Not sure what happened to Scott, but Dave was called in at short notice.

6. scraig

scraig Member

Thanks Scottish Critic for your good comments about our Intermediate Band, it has been a fantastic time to be involved with Tullis Russell right now and the Intermediate Band are going from strength to strength, and what many people don't realise is many of the players had never played a brass instrument two years ago (or any musical instrument for that matter) and we also have 7 players from our fantastic youth set up now playing full time with the Intermediate Band. The piece you reffered to was 13.7 Billion Years Earlier, A Tone Poem and Fanfare for Brass Band By James McFadyen.

"Tullis Intermediate Band were really very good, Solo Cornet and Flugel were outstanding and the young trombone player sounded very confident. The 13 billion (something..... sorry I can't remember the full title) piece was one of the highlights for me, I've never heard it before and thought it was fantastic."

Gordon H, good to see you had predicted Tullis Russell Mills Band into 3rd place, we don't take anything for granted and we were well aware that we had a couple of higher section bands to beat in we were to get into the top 3.

"As an open contest anything could have happened. The top three placings were as I had predicted prior to any of the bands having even played."