Northern Areas Results

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by hornblower, Mar 17, 2003.

1. hornblower

hornblower Member

Results: Regionals 2003 - North of England

Ever Ready win championship section. BHK (UK) Ltd Horden win first section. Langbaurgh Brass take second section. Wansbeck's Ashington win third section. Lockwood take fourth section.

The Dolphin Centre,

Championship section
    Sunday 16 March, approx 5.15pm

Adjudicator: Steven Sykes

1. Ever Ready, R. Gray, 5, 191 Q
    2. East Yorkshire Motor Services, G. Pritchard, 6, 190 Q
    3. Fishburn, G. O'Connor, 9, 189
    4. Cottingham, R. Grantham, 4, 188
    5. Nestle Rowntree, W. Rushworth, 10, 186
    6. Harrogate, D. Lancaster, 3, 185
    7. Broughton's Brass, K. Bolton, 7, 184
    8. Gateshead Brass, J. Roberts, 8, 183
    9. Chester-le-Street Riverside, D. Hirst, 1, 182
    10. Gregg's Bakery, Major D. Marshall, 2, 181

First Section
    Sunday 16 March, 9.30am

Adjudicator: Colin Hardy

1. BHK (UK) Ltd Horden, TBA, 1, 192
    2. Barrow Shipyard, J. Durrant, 7, 190
    3. Flookburgh, J. Iveson, 3 , 189
    4. Aunt Bessie's East Yorkshire Brass, T. Oldroyd, 8, 187
    5. Westoe (STHCT), J. Smith, 2, 186
    6. Kirkbymoorside, J. Woodward, 6, 185
    7.Pride Valley, B. Morton, 4, 184
    8. Easington Colliery, D. Dye, 5, 183

Boldon Colliery, W

Best Basses: Barrow Shipyard
    Best Perc: Flookburgh

Second section
    Saturday 15 March, approx 3pm

Adjudicator: Colin Hardy

1. Langbaurgh Brass, T. Oldroyd, 7, 188 Q
    2. Houghton Brass, T. Gibson, 3, 186 Q
    3. Spennymoor Town, D. Beckley, 8, 185
    4. Felling, R. Poole, 9, 184
    5. GT Group Peterlee, B. Holden, 1, 183
    6. York Railway Institute, D. Warley, 6, 182
    7. Cockerton Prize Silver, G. Catherall, 5, 181
    8. Lanchester, G. Tindall, 11, 180
    9. Ferryhill Town, T. Maddison, 2, 179
    10. Flimby Saxhorn, D. Jones, 4, 177
    11. Barnard Castle, I. Johnson, 10, 176

Third section
    Saturday 15 March, 12 noon

Adjudicator: Stan Lippeatt

1. Wansbeck's Ashington, N. Stedman, 4, 185 Q
    2. Stape Silver, M. Breckon, 2, 183 Q
    3. Ellington Colliery, D. Wright, 3, 182
    4. Murton Colliery, J. Cook, 5, 181
    5. Carlisle St. Stephens, D Dye, 7, 180
    6. Swinton & Dist Excelsior, R. Rutter, 6, 179
    7. Hetton Silver, K. Wheatley, 9, 178
    8. Dearham, M. Condron, 1, 177
    9. Bearpark & Esh Colliery, T. Minnis, 8, 176

Barrow Concert, W

Fourth section
    Sunday 16 March, approx 12.30pm

Adjudicator: Stan Lippeatt

1. Lockwood Brass, N. Barnes, 2, 183 Q
    2. Ripon City, J. Shepherd, 4 , 180 Q
    3. Billingham Silver, V. Evans, 10, 179
    4. Stanhope Silver, S. Robson, 3, 178
    5. Askam Town, D. Henley, 8, 177
    6. Kirkby Lonsdale, A. Greenwood, 14, 176
    7. Five Rivers Brass, T. Griffiths, 11, 175
    8. Durham Constabulary, TBA, 9, 174
    9. Dunston Silver, A. Seymour, 5, 173
    10. Marske Brass, M. Fowles, 6, 172
    11. Ulverston Town, B. Seddon, 1 , 171
    12. Trimdon Concert, A. Holmes, 13, 170
    13. Burneside Brass, R. Lincoln, 12, 169
    14. Sacriston Colliery, R. Wallace, 7 168

got these off 4 bars rest foe all to see...
    I'm quite gutted about our result as I think we gave a good performance, but i did not hear any other of the bands play so have no idea if we were unlucky or not! :cry:
  2. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

Thanks for these, and commiserations on your result.

I certainly enjoyed the weekend - as today's hangover testifies - and it was good to meet one or two from the and put faces to names. I'd forgotten to look out for you when you gave me your card on the way onto stage (how could I?) but I did say hello to Wonky Baton and David Jake.

Congratulations to Boozybasstrom on Ever Ready's win in the top section. I was very happy with our own performance, in spite of the odd clip from some of the soloists and although I was looking for fourth or fifth place, sixth seems to be quite respectable for our first venture into the Championship section - we'll be back there next year and we've taken a couple of scalps... So well done Cornetgirl, Topsop and Hitman.

3. douglas

douglas New Member

I have only one word about the areas yesterday and it's.......FARCE! I think it's time something was done as far as the adjudication goes.The time of have one man judge,to me,is out of date,and that a panel of two to three judges would be better.I listened to a lot of the bands,and to me the results bear no corrilation what so ever to the performances given.And as an aside,what a surprise winner in the fourth section eh!
  4. Straightmute

Commiserations if you got a bad one. Guess we've all been there and know the feeling... Time and beer are great healers. Come up fighting.

Is the opinion of two necessarily better than one? In my experience it's usually a messy compromise, and we've had more dodgy results from two than from one. Torquay finals last year were a total travesty for us.

Who were your winners?

5. Valvecap

Valvecap Member

Huge congratulations to the Harrogate Band, Straight Mute and Cornet Girl on the result yesterday - i heard the performance and felt it very assured - the formation of the band worked for me and whereas a lot of the bands played with the "sound" of the lower end playing against the cornets, I felt that the sound was complemented and added to by having the cornets playing through it.
    Congratulations on a good performance (and i have sooooooo much blackmail material in my camera now Mr Mute..... hahahahahahaha.....
  6. hornblower

hornblower Member

Douglas is talking about the fourth section results...he means lockwood...the ringer band as they seem to be known as in these parts... :roll:

i think that as long as you give your best, and we did, and that your MD is happy and he was, that the result can go's the raise in your own playing you have to hold on to and remember! Altho I'll be interested to read the "autopsy" sp? of our performance to see what we lost points on.... :cry:

So Well done those who have qualified, I'm personally glad I don't have to throw myself into another test piece so soon...three contest pieces in 2 months is a bit rich for my blood! :wink:
    Oh and Straightmute how could you miss my eyes?!! :D
  7. BoozyBTrom

BoozyBTrom Member

I know lockwood band quite well. and can say that they are not a ringer band. They are an amalgamation of two bands ( the things you have to do to survive) a band called Yarm and a band called Lingdale. Both of which were very successful bands in thier own right. But as ever players leave money dries up and guess what bands die. Niether band had contested for a number of years so were deleted from the registers. hence no national grading. They got together a couple of years ago us to keep the resective band rooms from falling in to disrepair. only recently have they decided to start contesting again under the new name lockwood ( the name of the local parish). and guess what they were put in the 4th section as an unknown quantity. They have entered 3 contests and won all 3. A great start to a new band. and guess what no players brought in just the people that were left over from the two bands. They even did the area several players short.

Good Luck Lockwood. Hopefully another banding success story in Cleveland along with langbaugh. Cleveland has lost far too many bands over the years. The area used to boast several Top section bands. now there are none.
  8. BoozyBTrom

BoozyBTrom Member

Thanks straightmute. it was nice to meet you on sunday and finally see the face behind the name. I could tell you were happy with the bands performance with the beeming face when you came off stage. few scalps there eh!!

it was also good to see Mr Jake who seeed to have enjoyed the pop during the day.
  9. hornblower

hornblower Member

I am aware of the facts you said about lockwood, but feel a band who are already in a diefferent "league" should not be in the 4th section, if a band reforms or is created I feel they should do a performance for the grading peeps and be put in an appropriate section not put a reformed high section band in at the bottom, thats all is meant, its frustrating to half to play and be judged against such a band and must be a pain for them....
  10. BoozyBTrom

BoozyBTrom Member

Both bands before they were deleted were relegated through the sections. So as far as the rankings go they are where they should be.

I would expect if ever ready didnt contest for 5 or 6 years and then came back to it we would be playing in a lower section.

Yarm and lingdale have had so long out they have to prove their worth again. and judging by what people have said over the weekend they are cetainly doing that.
  11. Straightmute

That was YOU with the eyes? Oh yes I remember you very clearly...

Oh no - I've been caught beeming again. Yes I was happy and they all played well.

Can't wait for 21.3.04. How sad is that?

12. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member

I was about to ask what happens on 21.03.04....I'm a bit slow!!!!

But let's look to the immediate future first - bring on Buxton!!!!!

Rach x
  13. Heather

Heather Member

Every so often one of these bands appears from no where and wins everything in sight.
    It is bad news for the bands who have to play against them and I sympathise. I've been in your position a few times too.
    In this case though it seems quite legitimate.
    Its when a load of ex championship players form a new band and enter in the lower sections that I feel its names mentioned!!!
    Surely when this is the case they should be assessed as to where to begin.
  14. flashbarry

flashbarry Member

Hi Heather,

I know what you mean they should have been moved u pby now!!!

15. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

I was under the impression that a newly-formed band had to perform for the Regional Committee prior to it's performance at the Areas. Certainly this was the case for Alliance Brass a couple of years ago, when they were graded in the 1st Section LSC.

16. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

British Brass Band Registry - Rules
    Appendix 1 - Grading

(h) A band entering the Regional Championships for the first time must enter in the Fourth Section, unless it can provide satisfactory evidence to the Regional Administration to support it's application to enter a higher section.

(l) Any band failing to compete for three consecutive years will be removed from the grading tables at the end of the third year. If such a band wishes to resume participation in the Contest, it will be treated as a first time entry in accordance with Rule (h).

17. BoozyBTrom

BoozyBTrom Member

Thank you roger for pointing out the rules. I also think that if a band such as lockwood are considered too good for the section by the bands they compete against. They shouldnt worry too much because if they are that good they will soon be out of your hair due to promotion.
  18. Wonky_Baton

Wonky_Baton Active Member

A few facts about Lockwood

1) They tried to be go in a higher section but were turned down
    2) They have broken no rules
    3) If they can keep the band together they will walk the Nationals which will be good for our area, as we dont seem to enjoy much success on our travels.

My band came ninth so they didn't deprive us of a result but they did win the League with us 4th which judging by the League prize money meant we lost £2 3s 5d. :roll: However I had a joke on with their conductor that it must be nice to know the bus is paid for before you even go on stage. They can even prepare their press releases before competing with a gap for the number of points they win by.

Well done Dunston for a good musical performance on the back of some very bad luck prior to the contest. There were slips and I cant grumble with 9th especially as we followed the bands that came 1st 2nd & 4th.

The results this year in all sections seem as though they have been the least contentious for years, so well done the adjudicators. Contests are taken too seriously and bad luck always balances itself out in the end. Enjoy the day win or lose. Any one can win but its the grace in how you lose that counts. :wink:
  19. dave jake

dave jake Member

20. douglas

douglas New Member

Eat your bass Dave?...........I think you get should get a haircut instead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D Well said Wonky about Lockwood,it clarifies a couple of things.