North west areas 2015.

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Mr N N Fixer, Jan 26, 2015.

1. Mr N N Fixer

Mr N N Fixer Member

Who's going, and is anyone prepared to make a few predictions ? As a long time follower I really miss Paddy Flower and his offerings.
    All comments will be welcome.

Bye bye for now.

Mr Fixer.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Bbmad
    Poulton le fylde3
    Haslingden
    North West Area 1st Section1
    Helmshore5
  3. The Saviour

The Saviour New Member

Mr Fixer,

I will be there with my merry band of players. It seems too early to be making predictions? After all, anything could happen in the run up to a major contest with just over a month to go.

Kind regards,

TS

4. Mr N N Fixer

Mr N N Fixer Member

Very true.
    Let us see what Brass at The Guild brings on Sunday.

Bye bye for now.
    Mr Fixer

5. DS2014

DS2014 Active Member

Eccles Borough must be a good tip for the Second Section in the NW: they were very strong at Butlins in winning. Haydock finished runners up at Butlins, and will also be in the running, no doubt. The only thing that might hold them both back will be the fact that they will have put a lot of prep into the Butlins test piece whilst others will have used that time for the Area's piece.

6. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

My predictions are that at least 30 bands will come away having been robbed blind by deaf adjudicators after a mate of a mate who listened through the door told them they were nailed on to win, it will be cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey, and the beer will still taste like pi$$.

7. Mr N N Fixer

Mr N N Fixer Member

A cynical but fairly accurate prediction, but a good days outing for many of us to enjoy.

Bye bye for now,
    Mr Fixer.

8. The Wizard

The Wizard Member

Hi Mr Fixer. I shall be making the long trip to the Winter Gardens with my band. Maybe we can meet up for a beverage or two. after the performance of course.

Im interested, will you be there in a playing capacity, or are you spending the day casting an expert ear on the great playing we expect from the North West bands.

9. Mr N N Fixer

Mr N N Fixer Member

Hello The Wizard.
    I will be there as a supporter, but expect to hear some good stuff from the Northwest bands. I see from your profile that you direct Darwen. Very best wishes in the second section. from what I hear on the grapevine you should have a very good day, lots of new faces around the stand ?

bye bye for now,
    Mr Fixer.

10. Mr N N Fixer

Mr N N Fixer Member

I listened to Haydock at the Guildhall on Sunday, they, and Tyldesley were a mile ahead of the rest. ( I think that after the first two placings the worthy in the box must have mixed up his notes!,4, 5 and 6 were certainly better than the 3rd placed band, at least these bands were in tune!) still, that's only my opinion and that of a few sitting within ear shot.
    So Eccles, Haydock, Tyldesley, certainly in the running for me. Of course, there will be others and we must wait and see. A few surprises no doubt.

Bye bye for now.
    Mr Fixer.

11. DS2014

DS2014 Active Member

Championship section will probably be the usual procession of Fairey, Fodens, and Leyland.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Bbmad
    Poulton le fylde3
    Haslingden
    North West Area 1st Section1
    Helmshore5
  13. The Wizard

The Wizard Member

I think id better arrange some extra rehearsals for my band Mr Fixer. I need to get into your prediction list. Do you have any other advice for me? It will be most welcome.

14. Mr N N Fixer

Mr N N Fixer Member

From what I saw on Sunday I would have thought that much advice would have already come your way sir. I counted at least eight Darwen players in the audience. Will you be pulling in any 'ringers' this year? There are, as i posted earlier, a lot of new faces around the stand. New to your band, but not new to 2nd, 1st, or top section banding I think.

Bye bye for now,
    Mr Fixer.

15. The Wizard

The Wizard Member

Ringers Mr Fixer. We have a couple of Bell ringers that's all. You seem to know quite a lot about my band and our players. Don't listen to any rumours though. You are welcome to come down and visit us anytime, and if you play maybe you could join us in rehearsal. But at least I know what some of my band got up to last Sunday and I thank you for that info. Hope to see you at Blackpool Mr Fixer. I'm hoping also to meet up with an old friend from here, the Godfather. Maybe we could all get together and have a beverage. Now that would be some meeting I think. Best regards, and see you soon.

16. Bbmad

Bbmad Active Member

Ringing bells? Ah yes, The Godfather, that name definitely rings a bell. Or am I getting mixed up with Lofty?

17. The Undaunted

The Undaunted New Member

I'm new to TMP, but went along to the Guildhall on Sunday. I enjoyed the 3 bands I heard in section 2 but was a little disappointed that there wern't more big name bands in the Championship section. Although I thought those who were there gave a good account of themselves.
    I will be attending the area championships, in Blackpool so am looking forward to listening to Fodens , Faireys, and the like.
    Some interesting comments on this particular thread. Is it always like this with you north west lads?

Len.
    aka The Undaunted.

18. speedy

speedy New Member

Its called banter and thats wot we do best in the north west apart from playing that is.I agree with you about the lack of bands at the guildhall in all sections and .I think the sooner it goes back to being OWN CHOICE the better. I would be interested to see what others think speedy

19. owain_s

owain_s Member

I'm sure we're not the only band that isn't interested in giving the Butlins piece a second airing, but also doesn't want to give a public airing to an area piece which isn't properly prepared. Especially with the loss of Fleetwood and St Helens from the calendar, there's a shortage of own-choice contests.

20. The Undaunted

The Undaunted New Member

So who runs it, and why not own choice anymore ? I seem to remember it was own choice some years ago.
    Maybe you should suggest to them that they revert to the former system. We lost some contests in the southwest some time ago when they stopped own choice.
    As you say, some bands have had enough of the Butlins piece, and others are not ready with the area piece, or don't want to air it in public before the big day.
    Len.
    aka - The Undaunted.

21. owain_s

owain_s Member

It's run by Lancashire Contests, who were also responsible for the Fleetwood Open and the Northern Open (St Helens), which were both own-choice but were dropped from the calendar last year.

22. Mr N N Fixer

Mr N N Fixer Member

I'm just a spectator too, but I have a lot of friends who's bands would have given it a shot if it was still own choice. Just look at the history of Fleetwood, Tameside, Pilks,-Northern Open, and see the bands who always went there but did not go to the Guildhall. The Wizard and his lot always went, as did Parr Silver, Thornton, etc.
    Good luck on here Len, you will get some funny comments from some of those who don't declare their real names.

Bye bye for now,
    Mr Fixer.